get out the chequebook!

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Bones link said:
Id like to see Cunningham and Lussick both given a fair amount of time in the NRL this year to see how they handle it. Maybe we won't need to import.
Fair call here. Have seen Lussick & has massive potential & Cunningham will def add some more hunger to what looks a tired foward pack. Still keen on this Fifita Bones - has that mongrel but still plenty of quality- always looks pumped & plays at 100 miles without the Hargreaves head explosions. Buy him today Lowe.

Matt K link said:
The young bloke i think would be great is Andrew Fifita -young Tigers prop. Not only aggressive but good on his feet- massive future.

He's got the build but not the head. Doesn't have the right attitude to training. I'd rather pick up their other young front rower, Aaron Woods. He would've played a bit last year if not for injuries, he's only 19 and he has a fantastic attitude. Injuries might be a bit of a concern but hopefully he's out of the woods (so to speak) in that regard.

Though I'd also like to see how some of our own guys go once given a crack, Lussick/Cunningham and the like.

susan link said:
we have no money so don't bother thinking about it and that isnt going to change in a hurry.
Yeah it looks like we are the new paupers of the comp, how embarrassing 

I'd cut King before Kite, anyway out of the names listed only Kite would be on decent money.  Cutting those blokes isn't going to leave us a truckload of cash.  We should have made the tough decision last year to let Matai go.  Would have left an automatic spot in first grade for a younger player (young hoppa my preference) and given us some wiggle room this year (could have signed Beaver) and some money for next year.

ayjay007 link said:
[quote author=Bones link=topic=186862.msg323278#msg323278 date=1300098198]
Id like to see Cunningham and Lussick both given a fair amount of time in the NRL this year to see how they handle it. Maybe we won't need to import.

Yeah,bones,but will they get a run.Unless we have injuries and suspensions,Des will use the "same ol same ol"-ie,the players that have goat photos.
[/quote]

Hmmmm. Now if only we had some injuries and suspensions.

Greg choice link said:

This guys deadset from the Sharks or Dragons or some $hit taking the piss.. read his posts!

The Dragons will have to unload some players (a few young props will be in that group) this year so wait until then.

If you want established James Graham the English bloke has expressed a desire to play in the NRL and is only 25.

As shown with our current problem we also lack a centre so we'll have to fix that up as well

susan link said:
we have no money so don't bother thinking about it and that isnt going to change in a hurry.

I understand we haven't been active in the player market for this season because we had no room to move under the cap. I don't think it had anything to do with lack of finances.

SwornEagle link said:
[quote author=Greg choice link=topic=186862.msg323293#msg323293 date=1300102650]

This guys deadset from the Sharks or Dragons or some $hit taking the piss.. read his posts!
[/quote]Don't question my support mate just because i look at our team and our club with a critical eye does not mean I support it any less than you,or maybe because i have been supporting the club since 1971 I expect more of the club. The truth is as fans of the club we should expect more. The salary cap must be an excuse it is easier to trot out that then tell everyone we are struggling again,because if we are on the salary cap with this roster then the people in charge should explain HOW. Compare our gf team or even the year before to this rabble that we have assembled and we are expected to believe both squads had the same cap lol and since the gf the cap has infact increased. So here's a tip for you not all supporters kiss the ass of there club,I don't we are not always right as a club yet I'm as much a fan as you

Watmough, 2 Stewarts, Kite, Lyon, Matai. There's about 2 million right there. Then you've got to fit another 19 blokes in the other 3 million. It adds up Greg.

Fonz link said:
Watmough, 2 Stewarts, Kite, Lyon, Matai. There's about 2 million right there. Then you've got to fit another 19 blokes in the other 3 million. It adds up Greg.
Fair point but if the other 19 are getting 3 million somebody is getting to much, also in gf year we had stewarts,kite, lyon and matai plus menzies orford bell I would suggest if we could fit all those players in a smaller cap the question has to be asked. Don't forget in the mean time we tryed to sign Carney from raiders also topou from roosters aswell as Sam burgess so how were we going to fit 1 or 2 of these players in then yet now we are right on the cap.The way it works is if you have the money you stretch the cap yet when funds are tight (as they are with us) you trot out the salary cap as an excuse

What we also have to bear in mind is that at the season's end there will be two new teams throwing a chequebook around as they prepare for entry into the NRL in 2013.  This will in turn reduce the amount of available players.

Maybe we should look at ESL and see if we can pick up some good props from over there.

willstyles link said:
[quote author=Matt K link=topic=186862.msg323276#msg323276 date=1300097846]
The young bloke i think would be great is Andrew Fifita -young Tigers prop. Not only aggressive but good on his feet- massive future.

He's got the build but not the head. Doesn't have the right attitude to training. I'd rather pick up their other young front rower, Aaron Woods. He would've played a bit last year if not for injuries, he's only 19 and he has a fantastic attitude. Injuries might be a bit of a concern but hopefully he's out of the woods (so to speak) in that regard.

Though I'd also like to see how some of our own guys go once given a crack, Lussick/Cunningham and the like.
[/quote]

If you have the right build & obvious potential - Des & co would most likely get the attitude right. Has a dynamic style that would add much needed punch to the pack. Anyways prob tied up with the Tigers- this is not fantasy NRL.

Greg choice link said:
[quote author=Fonz link=topic=186862.msg323357#msg323357 date=1300146655]
Fair point but if the other 19 are getting 3 million somebody is getting to much, also in gf year we had stewarts,kite, lyon and matai plus menzies orford bell I would suggest if we could fit all those players in a smaller cap the question has to be asked. Don't forget in the mean time we tryed to sign Carney from raiders also topou from roosters aswell as Sam burgess so how were we going to fit 1 or 2 of these players in then yet now we are right on the cap.The way it works is if you have the money you stretch the cap yet when funds are tight (as they are with us) you trot out the salary cap as an excuse
[/quote]

It's very difficult to predict the state of the team in 08 in relation to the cap. I'm positive that a few of our gun players were on backended deals which has chewed into the cap big time the last 2 years. This is the reason we have let so many players go. You then throw in the upgraded contracts for Lyon, Matai and co and it's pretty easy to see how easy it is to spend your cap allowance.

Make no mistake Saints over the next couple of years will get hammered with palyers leaving. Unfortunately this is the way the cap works, it is near impossible to have a dynasty these days.

Maybe we should have opened up the cheque book, given current players contract upgrades and signed everybody possible and given the NRL a different set of figures for the salary cap, it worked out well for Melbourne......,,

Greg choice link said:
[quote author=Fonz link=topic=186862.msg323357#msg323357 date=1300146655]
[/quote]

The salary cap may, or may not, be an excuse. The truth is we'll never know as we aren't privy to the clubs financial situation. One explanation as to why we could afford the team we had a few years ago, and why we are struggling with a lesser team today, is the way contracts may have been structured. We could be at the end of heavily back-ended contracts. Once again this is only speculation.

Unfortunately our current squad does not have the luxury of depth that will allow us to survive periods with key players out injured. After last Saturday we have lost our captain and probably the single most important player in our team for 2-4 weeks. How are we to remain competitive without any depth? We will struggle this year and I can't see us making the 8.

I wonder who the "massive" signing is for next year. Unless that includes a couple of solid props it'll be for nothing.

As for you being a fan since 1971 then you are in a very nice club mate. That's the year I became hooked as well. Bozo was the magnet for me. Ahhh the seventies...........what a glorious time to be a Manly supporter!

MPC link said:
It's very difficult to predict the state of the team in 08 in relation to the cap. I'm positive that a few of our gun players were on backended deals which has chewed into the cap big time the last 2 years. This is the reason we have let so many players go. You then throw in the upgraded contracts for Lyon, Matai and co and it's pretty easy to see how easy it is to spend your cap allowance.

Make no mistake Saints over the next couple of years will get hammered with palyers leaving. Unfortunately this is the way the cap works, it is near impossible to have a dynasty these days.

Wolfman and Robbo received pretty handsome pay rises as well, and then we went and signed T-Rex who, despite being touted as a forward when he signed, has spent most of his time with us playing on the wing.  I think it was a mistake to spend so much money on wingers.  We probably should have kept one of Wolfman and Robbo and let the other go, not signed T-Rex and maybe signed a couple of solid first graders to hold the fort until Oldfield/Hoppa/Whare step up properly.

Wingers don't win premierships.  I think our forward depth is suffering because we have too many very well paid outside backs.

You know a bad season in 2011 might have a positive impact on 2012. This might lead to the likes of Cunningham, Lussick etc to get some games.

I think back ended deals,and re-signings (that the powers that be thought we needed to have),for our 40-0 heroes,is probably why we have no spare $$.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7