• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
NRL players get a very concentrated pill of money, fame and pressure for a relatively short space of their life from a very young age.
I don't know if this is a factor in Greg's situation but we've seen the negative effects it can have on young players.
I'm not totally sold on the role model idea. I don't think there's a handbook to say how to be such a thing to all people and I think it adds to the pressure.
Parents should be the main role model in youngsters lives.
Sometimes we might need to think about how we criticize players because I think we all lose sight of the fact that they are people.
Hope all's good with GI and all who battle with such issues.

Look I've had my spin of "mental health institutions" they have a broad name for a variety of "things".

The only man that isn't a blood relative that I'd put my trust and my children's lives in works at one as a psychiatrist.

Those ****ing places almost ruined and broke my life, but for my own will and the support of people like @Jethro @Snoweagle @Jatz Crackers

I've not known a person that went into one who came out improved. I've not known anyone who went in one for depression alone.

I wish him well but offer him caution that the curse he has may be less than the curse he comes out with

Just so my previous post doesn't seem insensitive, I've personally battled depression from my teen years and been medicated periodically though I hate taking even paracetamol so fight it on my own without it.

My wife is diagnosed BPD I have had to closely watch and assist with battles of alcohol and drugs. I've lived it and my sympathy lies with him and hope he finds his pathway through it, there is nothing better than finding a reason to get through every moment for those of us who have dealt with it.

This site is one of mine truth be told.

However I hold so much anger and resentment to how poorly those places are run even the ones that cost you good coin, my experience is that mental and personal health is not their priority and they like how they all personally sound

Just so my previous post doesn't seem insensitive, I've personally battled depression from my teen years and been medicated periodically though I hate taking even paracetamol so fight it on my own without it.

My wife is diagnosed BPD I have had to closely watch and assist with battles of alcohol and drugs. I've lived it and my sympathy lies with him and hope he finds his pathway through it, there is nothing better than finding a reason to get through every moment for those of us who have dealt with it.

However I hold so much anger and resentment to how poorly those places are run even the ones that cost you good coin, my experience is that mental and personal health is not their priority and they like how they all personally sound

You have my utmost respect @Dan !!

A very brave post about a very real problem with the mental health system. I wish you and your wife all the success in the world as you continue your personal battles. Your strength and success is an inspiration.

I hope to meet you guys one day, if only to shake your hands respectively.

Lots of money, lots of adulation , being " pampered" almost 24/7, the usual stunning "wag" , being put by society on a massive pedestal, really it's such a false life that it's only time before it comes crashing down.

As opposed to someone like Jamie Lyon who rarely liked the limelight, preferred to go bush for his kicks, married his childhood sweetheart, and wisely just bought houses with his money ( now worth a motza).

I wish Greg all the best, but can't help that think that society doesn't help sportspeople very much.

Probably nothing will change but it's as much at fault as anything.

The only player that rehab helped was Darius.

I hope that GI gets the same results, but it sounds more like a separation issue rather than an illness.

I also understand that Clubs invest millions in a player and want to monitor their rehab to get them back ASAP.

The key for sports people is strong family ties and genuine mates. (not hangers on)

This is why the bond between Darius and Wayne has little to do with footy, and much more to do with an emotional bond of support and trust.

Lots of money, lots of adulation , being " pampered" almost 24/7, the usual stunning "wag" , being put by society on a massive pedestal, really it's such a false life that it's only time before it comes crashing down.

As opposed to someone like Jamie Lyon who rarely liked the limelight, preferred to go bush for his kicks, married his childhood sweetheart, and wisely just bought houses with his money ( now worth a motza).

I wish Greg all the best, but can't help that think that society doesn't help sportspeople very much.

First, props to you @Dan well done.

Now..maybe they all tried to help him but they found the multiple contract signing, decision changing, boat receiving dick just too hard to find?!?!

Whilst I don't have much respect for him...I hope he finds the help he needs.

your not on your own!

03ab757d4f71f55284a71105b9f056a9.jpg

Great that you raised this topic Isz. When it comes to mental health there are no team rivalries we're all just part of the human race and we're all vulnerable people.
It's a close issue to my family. A close member has battled and, is triumphing bipolar over 20 years. He's also got MS on top of that. He's having surgery this week so I'm off work and with the family.
Recently I've watched a couple of Docos - Insight and Four Corners. Both shows highlighted depression across all our sporting codes particularly in relation to injuries and retirement. Our sporting heroes live in a bubble of structure, training and adulation from approximately 15 to about 30years old. Injury and non-renewal of contracts force these athletes to retire and then bang, unless you're one of the select few, you're left on your own and usually unskilled for the workforce. It's no wonder that these men and women are prone to mental illnesses.
IMO all codes need to stop enclosing and pampering these gifted athletes. It needs to happen early. Part of their contracts need to enforce educational training so that they leave their sport with a qualification. In the final years of contracts athletes should be doing work experience and linked to employment agencies.
As far as our two latest retirees, Snake and Matai, are concerned, I know we have yet to send them off for their legendary service to the Mighty Sea Eagles and hopefully we'll still get to do this at some stage. On the other hand it's probably a great sign that both have moved on in new directions, Snake with his restaurant and Matai newly married. Hopefully they'll be less vulnerable than many others.
I big post, I know.
Important issue though and thank you for raising it Isz.
Go Manly!

I think maybe its time the nrl employed some independant shrinks.. Seems the media wouldnt dare speak badly of a player "suffering depression" so its pretty much a get out of jail card...
Want out of your contract? Get depression
Get busted with drugs? Your bi polar
Flog your girlfriend?? Your depressed with bi polar...

Any player thats suffering from these things should be sent by the nrl to a shrink. No input from managers, no input from clubs (so you dont get the eels foz situation where the club needed him to play so he checked himself out against the clinics wishes)
And u cant play until they have fully assessed/helped/cleared you to return... Regardless of what ur club wants...

I believe depression is very real, have been around it for my whole life, but at this point it seems as a convenient excuse for rich boys in league to get their own way with minimal questions asked

Yeah you're right Mark. With sport and society, at the end of day, it's just a case of "NEXT!"

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
6 4 2 53 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8