Gift is in

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
winnyason said:
We are too predictable with gifty in attack.

Exactly! and more to the point, it was the same ****e every time; he drifted right linking to Lyon who wanted to put Wolfie in the corner. I think we played much better attack when he was not there and Foran had to play a bigger ball playing roll....

mickqld said:
Maybe he should have come off the bench, maybe not. It didn't cost us the game though. Ill discipline cost us this one, not just the penalties and reports but the defensive lapses after half time and the poor options when tries were on.

You know what Mick? I say he did cost us the game; but not harbouring any resentment, just that my point is his crab sideways, pass to Killer, pass to Wolfie happened about a dozen times; it was the same **** and the bunnies read it like schoolboy football every time. Lets say he didn't play and those predictable right hand side plays would not have happened and we would be using a different tactic, and more importantly we would be trying different things, and more involvement from Foran. I know its a hypothetical but look how we played up to now - then look at last night and their attack was pathetic. There are lots of fans seriously disappointed with that boring attack last night and Gifty was the different factor.

I have read it all now, Stewart cost us the game ? Wow

Way too simplistic to say Stewart is back, that's what changed. Joe has played all year but was missing last night, that doesn't make him a huge difference either

The main difference in attack, was that we didn't finish the opportunities last night, compared to other weeks. Convert another 1-2 of those stopped by a kick just going dead or a Souths fingertip and we aren't having this discussion about poor attack

6-2 the line breaks were in our favour, it can't have been as terrible as I have read on here all day

Kiwi I'm glad you mentioned those line breaks. We created more opportunities than they did but it was always their defence at the final moment that cut us down.

As soon as the game finished I had the ****s thinking how we broke their line far more than they did ours yet we were outscored.

It was our polish that was missing, with their scramble being outstanding too, a lot of people have been saying that Souths handled us easily, I'm not so sure

1 thing that is for certain, as much as fans might be disappointed in our effort last night, the way we played has been 2 levels about anything Canberra and the Cowboys have put on tonight

Kiwi Eagle said:

Way too simplistic to say Stewart is back, that's what changed. Joe has played all year but was missing last night, that doesn't make him a huge difference either

The main difference in attack, was that we didn't finish the opportunities last night, compared to other weeks. Convert another 1-2 of those stopped by a kick just going dead or a Souths fingertip and we aren't having this discussion about poor attack

6-2 the line breaks were in our favour, it can't have been as terrible as I have read on here all day

I'd say two main factors cost us the game (apart from the disallowed try and subsequent souths try from the obstruction penalty set of six which i think was the primary external factor)....

But internal factors are;

1: We didn't convert the opportunities we created(i.e line breaks and we did too many high kicks instead of going for grubbers and drop outs and applying further pressure on their line)

2: Gift trying the same tactic on the right hand side ended up wasting too many attacking opportunities, if he was not there, I am saying our team structure of the past 6 rounds would have found there way over the line. Galuvao is irrelevant to my argument, the forwards did there job the attackers didn't.

Kiwi Eagle said:

Kiwi could you not see how Gift was cramping our right side attack? It is really obvious after having Gift out for so long. I dont think Gift lost us the game but there is defiantly an issue there.

torana355 said:
[I dont think Gift lost us the game but there is defiantly an issue there.

Yep an issue that we didn't have up till last night. Tooves needs to get something fresh from gift, otherwise let the successful attacking structure continue

torana355 said:
Kiwi Eagle said:

Kiwi could you not see how Gift was cramping our right side attack? It is really obvious after having Gift out for so long. I dont think Gift lost us the game but there is defiantly an issue there.

Sure he went sideways, but Lyon still had plenty of good attacking opportunities throughout the game, sometimes a touch to keen to set Wolfy up rather than go himself

In 3 games time, we can have a better chat about it. Rugby League changes from week to week, the code is never cracked and sometimes we can read far too much into things, especially with the 'this didn't happen last week but did this week' type of thing which some are going with for Stewarts return

Early in the match, I thought his positional play in defence was outstanding, almost forgot how good his defence is.

Agree, fitness down, carrying weight, looked ordinary going sideways ... But he is a gun and he will get better.

Lots of comments about too much sideways movement, but more concerned that with the voluntary tackle, slowing down our attack, just about every time he was tackled. Not only needs to play a lot straighter, but also punch through the line.

globaleagle said:
Maybe we can swap him for t-rex?

Mate we'd have to trade him, Jamie Lyon and Matt Balin to get a player of T-REX's quality :)

Where's that TREX thread, I'm goin over there now.

Another issue with Gift is when a ballplayer does not threaten the line with some sharpness and mobility defences can just overslide to his outside shoulder flood in numbers all the attacking options and basically offer Gift the inside saying "we know you lack speed and wont break the line yourself we can rule you out as a threat"

Technical Coach said:
Another issue with Gift is when a ballplayer does not threaten the line with some sharpness and mobility defences can just overslide to his outside shoulder flood in numbers all the attacking options and basically offer Gift the inside saying "we know you lack speed and wont break the line yourself we can rule you out as a threat"

Defences won't be thinking that with a wide running Symonds

Agree with Kiwi. Gift provided lots of good ball to Lyon but Lyon could not get around the outside of Goodwin all night. Maybe he should have tried to step on the inside on some occasions to straighten the attack. I thought Lyon chose the wrong options to kick and flick impossible passes far too often instead of dying with the ball

Eagle1963 said:
Agree with Kiwi. Gift provided lots of good ball to Lyon but Lyon could not get around the outside of Goodwin all night. Maybe he should have tried to step on the inside on some occasions to straighten the attack. I thought Lyon chose the wrong options to kick and flick impossible passes far too often instead of dying with the ball

I agree totally, Goodwin frustrated killer into kicking or throwing the miracle ball. I didn't think Goodwin was that good a player

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2