Go Matildas' .. World Cup Thread

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though
Gutted ... boy we were bad

Now all we have to do to progress, is beat the reigning Olympic champions from that arrse-wipe freezing, miserable bear infested, moose ridden, poxed third world Country ... Canada ...

and do not even think to tell me to settle .........

"Relax..."

lulz

So it seems to be this way for Australia's next match...

Instead, they now face a fight to stay in the tournament against the reigning Olympic champions Canada.

Win against Canada in Melbourne on Monday and they jump to six points, and will move on in the tournament at the expense of the Canadians.

Draw
, and they will have to rely on the Nigerians losing to the winless Ireland by two goals or more in their clash in Brisbane, which will be played at the same time.

Lose, and it's all over for the Matildas, in what would be a heartbreaking end for the gold and green in their home tournament.

sheesh

No pressure then!

Or...

Here's everything.....

GROUP B​

Group B​

GPWDLGDPTS
1 - Nigeria2110+14
2 - Canada2110+14
3 - Australia210103
4 - Rep of Ireland2002-20
Top two countries qualify for round of 16
Monday, July 31: Canada vs. Australia, Republic of Ireland vs. Nigeria

NIGERIA: Need at least a draw against Republic of Ireland to be sure to qualify for the knockout stages, but they could yet be eliminated if they are beaten by the Irish.

If Nigeria beat Ireland, they will top the group if Canada lose or draw. If both Nigeria and Canada win, top spot will be decided on group goal difference and goals scored between those two countries. At present, both have a goal difference of +1, and Nigeria are top having scored one more goal.
  • If both teams win by the same scoreline (so both 1-0), Nigeria will win the group
  • If both teams win by the same margin, but Canada score one more goal (so 2-1 and 1-0), it goes to head-to-head. As their group tie finished 0-0, placings would be decided on Fair Play points, and if level, random drawing of lots.
  • If Nigeria win by a higher-scoring one-goal margin (so 2-1 to Canada's 1-0), they top the group
  • If either team wins by a greater margin (so Nigeria 1-0, and Canada 2-0), that team wins the group (Canada in this example)

If Nigeria lose and Canada win, Nigeria are through: 1. Canada, 2. Nigeria, 3. Australia, 4. Republic of Ireland

If Nigeria lose and Australia draw, second place will be decided on group goal difference between those two countries. At present, Nigeria have a goal difference advantage of 1, which would automatically be wiped out.
  • If both teams lose by one goal and score the same number (so, 0-0 and 0-1 or 1-1 and 1-2 leaves Australia and Nigeria identical); Nigeria go through on head to head.
  • If Nigeria lose by one goal but score more than Australia (so, 0-0 Australia and 1-2 Nigeria), Nigeria are second on goals scored.
  • If Nigeria lose by one goal but Australia score more goals (so, 1-1 Australia and 0-1 Nigeria), Australia are second on goals scored.
  • If Nigeria lose by 2+ goals, they are out with Australia in second

If Nigeria and Canada both lose, the two teams will be level on four points so second place will be decided on group goal difference and goals scored between those two countries. It works in reverse to both teams winning.
  • If both teams lose by the same scoreline (so both 1-0), Nigeria will finished second on goals scored
  • If both teams lose by the same margin, but Canada score one more goal (so 1-2 Canada and 0-1 Nigeria), it goes to head-to-head. As their group tie finished 0-0, placings would be decided on Fair Play points, and if level, random drawing of lots
  • If Nigeria lose by a higher-scoring one-goal margin (so 1-2 to Canada's 0-1), they finish second
  • If either team loses by a greater margin (so Nigeria 0-1, and Canada 0-2), the team that loses by the smaller margin finishes second

CANADA: Need at least draw against Australia to be sure to qualify for the knockout stages. However, a defeat to the co-hosts would leave their continued participation in jeopardy.

If Canada beat Australia, they will top the group if Nigeria lose or draw. If both Canada and Nigeria win, the scenarios in the Nigeria section apply for top spot.

If Canada lose and Nigeria win, Canada are out: 1. Nigeria, 2. Australia, 3. Canada, 4. Republic of Ireland

If Canada lose and Nigeria draw, Canada are out: 1. Australia, 2. Nigeria, 3. Canada, 4. Republic of Ireland

If Canada and Nigeria both lose, both teams are tied on four points for second (see Nigeria section.)

AUSTRALIA: Go into the final group game in third, needing a result to stay in the competition.

The Matildas are guaranteed to qualify with a win over Canada, and can top the group if Nigeria fail to win.

Australia can only qualify with a draw if Nigeria lose to Republic of Ireland. Second place will be decided on group goal difference between Australia and Nigeria, as set out in the Nigeria section.

Cannot qualify with a loss.

REPUBLIC OF IRELAND: Have been eliminated and must beat Nigeria and Australia lose to Canada to have any chance of avoiding finishing bottom of the group.

What a terrible coaching display

A stat from our first two games. In both games out of 10 possible chances we have made 4 subs and none before the 75th minute.

Last night they were down 3-1 in the 72nd minute...and he finally made one change in the 83rd minute to bring on a defender so we could lump it in the mixer?

How many corners with 0 variation? We have one genuine game breaker fit and (Chidiac) and she was not sent on until how late in the game?

It all started with selecting Kyah Simon on the belief she would be fit by the knock stages - amazing arrogance which meant when we needed players like last night we did not have them

Vince R puts it far better than me here Gustavsson’s gambles are blowing up in his face. Now his job is on the line

What a terrible coaching display

A stat from our first two games. In both games out of 10 possible chances we have made 4 subs and none before the 75th minute.

Last night they were down 3-1 in the 72nd minute...and he finally made one change in the 83rd minute to bring on a defender so we could lump it in the mixer?

How many corners with 0 variation? We have one genuine game breaker fit and (Chidiac) and she was not sent on until how late in the game?

It all started with selecting Kyah Simon on the belief she would be fit by the knock stages - amazing arrogance which meant when we needed players like last night we did not have them

Vince R puts it far better than me here Gustavsson’s gambles are blowing up in his face. Now his job is on the line

agree with all that ... but we were not up to our usual standard ... too many unforced errors, cheap turnovers and loose passes ...

also a big part of Rouso, vine and Foord's effectiveness is their speed .. that was negated last night by a team just as fast ...

• 👍
Reactions: lsz
agree with all that ... but we were not up to our usual standard ... too many unforced errors, cheap turnovers and loose passes ...

also a big part of Rouso, vine and Foord's effectiveness is their speed .. that was negated last night by a team just as fast ...
No plan B is a killer as well

Thanks Mark ... I was up beat until that ... thankfully she'll only need a couple of minutes to slot a few home ...
I’m only going on what the NRL Physio guy on Twitter said , which was “ at best this is a 6 week recovery time , although they may well play her if it comes down to being eliminated or not “

Now we don’t know when the injury happened so we could well be at that 6 week point , or more likely we are at the 3 week point.

They haven’t looked the same without her.

3am the game is on here.

Guess I'll have to wake up to the glorious news that mighty Canada has achieved a great victory!!!!

Actually, best case and what I'm hoping for is that both Aust and Can move on.

Or...

Here's everything.....

GROUP B​

Group B​

GPWDLGDPTS
1 - Nigeria2110+14
2 - Canada2110+14
3 - Australia210103
4 - Rep of Ireland2002-20
Top two countries qualify for round of 16
Monday, July 31: Canada vs. Australia, Republic of Ireland vs. Nigeria

NIGERIA: Need at least a draw against Republic of Ireland to be sure to qualify for the knockout stages, but they could yet be eliminated if they are beaten by the Irish.

If Nigeria beat Ireland, they will top the group if Canada lose or draw. If both Nigeria and Canada win, top spot will be decided on group goal difference and goals scored between those two countries. At present, both have a goal difference of +1, and Nigeria are top having scored one more goal.
  • If both teams win by the same scoreline (so both 1-0), Nigeria will win the group
  • If both teams win by the same margin, but Canada score one more goal (so 2-1 and 1-0), it goes to head-to-head. As their group tie finished 0-0, placings would be decided on Fair Play points, and if level, random drawing of lots.
  • If Nigeria win by a higher-scoring one-goal margin (so 2-1 to Canada's 1-0), they top the group
  • If either team wins by a greater margin (so Nigeria 1-0, and Canada 2-0), that team wins the group (Canada in this example)

If Nigeria lose and Canada win, Nigeria are through: 1. Canada, 2. Nigeria, 3. Australia, 4. Republic of Ireland

If Nigeria lose and Australia draw, second place will be decided on group goal difference between those two countries. At present, Nigeria have a goal difference advantage of 1, which would automatically be wiped out.
  • If both teams lose by one goal and score the same number (so, 0-0 and 0-1 or 1-1 and 1-2 leaves Australia and Nigeria identical); Nigeria go through on head to head.
  • If Nigeria lose by one goal but score more than Australia (so, 0-0 Australia and 1-2 Nigeria), Nigeria are second on goals scored.
  • If Nigeria lose by one goal but Australia score more goals (so, 1-1 Australia and 0-1 Nigeria), Australia are second on goals scored.
  • If Nigeria lose by 2+ goals, they are out with Australia in second

If Nigeria and Canada both lose, the two teams will be level on four points so second place will be decided on group goal difference and goals scored between those two countries. It works in reverse to both teams winning.
  • If both teams lose by the same scoreline (so both 1-0), Nigeria will finished second on goals scored
  • If both teams lose by the same margin, but Canada score one more goal (so 1-2 Canada and 0-1 Nigeria), it goes to head-to-head. As their group tie finished 0-0, placings would be decided on Fair Play points, and if level, random drawing of lots
  • If Nigeria lose by a higher-scoring one-goal margin (so 1-2 to Canada's 0-1), they finish second
  • If either team loses by a greater margin (so Nigeria 0-1, and Canada 0-2), the team that loses by the smaller margin finishes second

CANADA: Need at least draw against Australia to be sure to qualify for the knockout stages. However, a defeat to the co-hosts would leave their continued participation in jeopardy.

If Canada beat Australia, they will top the group if Nigeria lose or draw. If both Canada and Nigeria win, the scenarios in the Nigeria section apply for top spot.

If Canada lose and Nigeria win, Canada are out: 1. Nigeria, 2. Australia, 3. Canada, 4. Republic of Ireland

If Canada lose and Nigeria draw, Canada are out: 1. Australia, 2. Nigeria, 3. Canada, 4. Republic of Ireland

If Canada and Nigeria both lose, both teams are tied on four points for second (see Nigeria section.)

AUSTRALIA: Go into the final group game in third, needing a result to stay in the competition.

The Matildas are guaranteed to qualify with a win over Canada, and can top the group if Nigeria fail to win.

Australia can only qualify with a draw if Nigeria lose to Republic of Ireland. Second place will be decided on group goal difference between Australia and Nigeria, as set out in the Nigeria section.

Cannot qualify with a loss.

REPUBLIC OF IRELAND: Have been eliminated and must beat Nigeria and Australia lose to Canada to have any chance of avoiding finishing bottom of the group.
Can you advise the consumption of at least two Panadols before reading all that.

I’m only going on what the NRL Physio guy on Twitter said , which was “ at best this is a 6 week recovery time , although they may well play her if it comes down to being eliminated or not “

Now we don’t know when the injury happened so we could well be at that 6 week point , or more likely we are at the 3 week point.

They haven’t looked the same without her.
Elon has asked me to let you know Mark that Twitter (the name) is no more. Elon has changed it to X. Also he has kindly asked that we refrain from saying tweets. They are to be known as X’s from now on.
Elon thanks you for your understanding and contribution in the middle of the Women’s World Cup.

Last edited:
Elon has asked me to let you know Mark that Twitter (the name) is no more. Elon has changed it to X. Also he has kindly asked that we refrain from saying tweets. They are to be known as X’s from now on.
Elon thanks you for your understanding and contribution in the middle of the Women’s World Cup.
Don’t mind the name but **** me , it’s still Twitter so a message is a Tweet 😂😂😂

My view on tonight is that it feels like everything is set up for an old school australian football heartbreak

Something like we are up with 10 to go and concede a freak own goal. Most fans do not remember the pain of failed world cup bids and terrible luck....but god I hope I am wrong!

Team P W L PD Pts
9 8 1 116 18
9 7 2 72 16
9 7 2 49 16
11 7 4 59 14
9 6 3 57 14
10 6 4 -10 14
10 6 4 115 12
10 5 5 -56 12
11 5 5 30 11
10 4 6 15 10
10 5 5 -13 10