Golden point misses the point

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Every game should reward 3 points..
3 points for a win . zero for a loss.
1 point each for a draw in normal time ,& 1 extra point for who wins in extra time.
Going the distance for 80 mins should atleast give the losing side something..

I'm used to the (ice) hockey way of doing things now.

2 points for a win in regulation.

If tied at end of regulation, 1 point each.

Then the winning team in overtime gets 1 more point.

Edit: And at no stage does a winning team get three points.

Seemed weird at first but everyone here is used to it/likes it and not once....once in all the games has there been column space dedicated to anyone unhappy with the points allocation. Like...well...here!

I mentioned this before but all you old guys waving angrily at the youths on your lawns told me to go away and get a haircut.

I still say the problem of awarding the losing team a point in a golden point loss is this, say your team is running in seventh spot with one final game remaing between two other teams in final seventh and eight place contention.
Now the way it stands it doesn't matter who wins this last remaing game your team will either finish in seventh or eigth spot, but if both of these two remaing teams are able to earn points from a golden point game, then it is possible to leapfrog your team, because three points were given out in this game, It sounds convoluted, but possible.

A few POINTS here.

Firstly, the general argument for the losing team in golden point is "they get the same points as a team beaten by 50", but so does the team who is beaten by a field goal (or try, or penalty goal) on or after the bell. Technically, that team was also equal after 80 minutes.

Secondly, the idea of making all games worth three points doesn't work either. 3 points for regular time win, 2 points for extra time win, 1 point for extra time loss. What about extra time draw??? I guess you could make games worth 4 points, 4 for regular win, 3 for extra time win, 1 for extra time loss, 2 each for draw.

I'll put the flame suit on now as I'm going to suggest an idea from another sport...but I think the bonus point system in super rugby works well for rewarding teams who get close to winning, which is essentially the idea for giving points to the losing golden point team. If you get within a converted try, you get a bonus point.

Anyway, that's enough finger POINTing from me.

Peter C said:
I still say the problem of awarding the losing team a point in a golden point loss is this, say your team is running in seventh spot with one final game remaing between two other teams in final seventh and eight place contention.
Now the way it stands it doesn't matter who wins this last remaing game your team will either finish in seventh or eigth spot, but if both of these two remaing teams are able to earn points from a golden point game, then it is possible to leapfrog your team, because three points were given out in this game, It sounds convoluted, but possible.

Yes but only if they draw. A hypothetical but I get the point (please no more puns).

In conclusion, drop Golden Point. It's as fair as a penalty shoot out in Soccer.

mosto said:
A few POINTS here.

Firstly, the general argument for the losing team in golden point is "they get the same points as a team beaten by 50", but so does the team who is beaten by a field goal (or try, or penalty goal) on or after the bell. Technically, that team was also equal after 80 minutes.

Secondly, the idea of making all games worth three points doesn't work either. 3 points for regular time win, 2 points for extra time win, 1 point for extra time loss. What about extra time draw??? I guess you could make games worth 4 points, 4 for regular win, 3 for extra time win, 1 for extra time loss, 2 each for draw.

I'll put the flame suit on now as I'm going to suggest an idea from another sport...but I think the bonus point system in super rugby works well for rewarding teams who get close to winning, which is essentially the idea for giving points to the losing golden point team. If you get within a converted try, you get a bonus point.

Anyway, that's enough finger POINTing from me.

I really like those ideas.

On a less serious note I think a team should get a competition point if they lead at halftime or if they don't concede a single penalty in an entire game.

Pittwater Legend said:
On a less serious note I think a team should get a competition point if they lead at halftime or if they don't concede a single penalty in an entire game.

Hey, a point for winning each half and another for the match. 18-0 at half time. No worries, still can win the second half.

In this example, dogs 2, Manly 1.

Same same but (determined in a way that is) different.

Pittwater Legend said:

If a team doesn't concede a single penalty in an entire game they should be investigated, not rewarded!!!

Go back to the good old junior footy knockout rules. Draw at fulltime, team conceding least penalties wins...oh wait, the way we're going we'd still lose!

mosto said:
Go back to the good old junior footy knockout rules. Draw at fulltime, team conceding least penalties wins...oh wait, the way we're going we'd still lose!

or the most tries

Jarrod Mullen on the Sunday footy show commenting on golden point. "You have to go for the field goals because the refs put the whistle away and won't blow penalties for offsides or tackle infringements"
Funny I seem to recall Manly being penalised for offside and bull**** lifting tackles in golden point costing us games against Dogs and Storm. this year. Once again 1 rule for everyone else bar us. Those 3 lost points thanks to the pink clowns would be handy right now.

I agree. You can see the exhaustion of the Knights and Broncos on Friday night. A field goal fest, an ordinary one at that, and still no result. They risk further injury and all the players cramping up. And with all the shots at goal there is the stoppage of play every few minutes?

Not for me, get rid of the Golden Point altogether and go back to the one point draw. If you are level after 80 minutes you deserve a point.

You forgot the 10m penalty for back chatting - in extra time FFS :mad:

The draw at 80 minutes is good enough for me and all the exhausted Players I'm sure :idea:

HappilyManly said:
You forgot the 10m penalty for back chatting - in extra time FFS :mad:

The draw at 80 minutes is good enough for me and all the exhausted Players I'm sure :idea:

Oh yeah thanks I forgot about that outrageous piece of refereeing bias.

Not that those clowns that night would get a grand final gig but can you imagine a ref penalising a team in a Grand Final in golden point for back chatting that would cost a premiership. ****ing outright cheating that was.

Staff online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8