Gould on Sunday footy show

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Rambo1987 link said:
1. Stripping them of 2 Grand Finals mean nothing and making the 2007 - 2009 mean nothing.

Disagree. It means their conniving is denounced to the most extreme degree possible. Their past victories are now officially tainted. It is huge. They never had the balls to do that to the Knights after the drug fiasco.

Rambo1987 link said:
2. Not playing for points this year is just playing silly.

Correction - playing that illegal team at all for the rest of this year is going to cause a lot of dramas. But I don't see why they should be allowed to collect points.

Rambo1987 link said:
3. Gallop is only reacting to what News will let them - there is no way he would have the balls to do this on his own. If he was doing his job in the first place this would have not happen. Once the NRL has its own commission running the league and Melbourne are still suffering from this scandal News will keep control of the Storm and they will become more prominent than they are now.

No idea what you are on about here.

Rambo1987 link said:
4. I honestly think that their are more teams out there now doing this

Then name them and show us your evidence. Otherwise the line 'they all do it' is merely a limp attempt to justify the Storm's shameful manipulation of the competition.

Rambo1987 link said:
I hate the Storm but if the NRL were doing their job it would have not happen and Gallop should go now...

You can't blame Gallop for this one. It would appear to be one case where he has stood up to his former employer.

And as for Gould, I only saw the end of his tirade on tv but it is a total red herring to rant on about the merits of the cap. What is his agenda in defending the Storm's behaviour?

Gould's point is an interesting one on growing own talent. However, it has to be said that Melbourne bought a truckload of gonnabees, offering massive amounts of money to young players that other teams were using to prop up their Top 25. Their results in the Junior competitions show this. Not all the stars made it but enough did for them to have cornered the market on young talent. They also introduced these young players into a team that was already over the cap, also giving them unfair advantage.

In some ways it is evidence that League should have a draft as well so that teams like the Storm just can't corner the market on young talent and then grow them into a first grade squad.

I think what it shows is that it was basically a necessity for the storm to institutionalise this rort. How else were they going to beat all the obstacles of their organisation: being a club in an almost totally league-uninterested town, in melbourne where the 'lifestyle' attractiveness for players is not what it is in many of the other clubs in sydney or up the coast further; at an (up until recently) sh**box ground), etc.

I agree with the idea of tweaking the cap to allow something for long-serving players, and maybe also your 'juniors' (defining this is however getting trickier). But I think the cap in general has to stay for the collective good.

Someone said if we scrap the cap we may go the way of soccer in the uk, with a top echelon of clubs more or less unassailable. But that model is sustained by promotion-relegation and the pan-european (and national) competitions which give the premier league clubs other 'competitions' to compensate for not ever being really in the premier league race.

The nrl simply doesn't have those levels of depth to support it and needs to be very careful about sustaining itself on the money available, which should be enough if properly managed. The storm to me has always been effectively an unrealistic proposition and this rort bears that out. Better off developing franchises where the basics are there: ie. RUGBY LEAGUE PLAYING AND SUPPORTING COMMUNITIES.

Gould was a bit rough  on Gallop when blaming him. You can only put rules in place and educate clubs on these rules. Exposing fraud is not always simple and you need hard facts. The storm have admitted in being deceitful.

Rules and education are in place for most things in life.

In Gould's world, is it the governments fault when someone is caught drink driving? Let's not blame the Storm players for drink driving, the government didn;t do enough to ensure this didn't happen in the first place.

Is it the schools fault when a kid hits another? Let's not blame a Storm player as the school should have ensured this never occured in the first place.

Is it the RTA's fault when a driver goes through a red light and causes an accident. Let's not blame the Storm player, the RTA should have ensured this could never occur in the 1st place.

The list of examples could be endless....but don't blame the Storm players because the English vocabulary shouldn't have included so many words to begin with.

Agreed, although the fact still remains that teams like the Broncos and the Storm have smelt bad for a long time.  It's not Gallop's fault, but something is amiss when discovery comes only through a disgruntled third party and not through the investigative arm of the NRL.  The intertwining of the operations/ownership/media arms need unscrambling, and quickly.  An independent commission is needed, and post haste. 

The main pressure to up the cap comes from those clubs that have an unlimited bucket re funding. Most other clubs love the salary cap as it guarantees financial stability as they don't need millionaires or extra cash injections to stay viable. It also means an even comp with no one team dominating.

With the loss of Leagues Club revenue, staying viable is very hard and it means that Sydney clubs have to work hard to entice players to stay with them for things in addition to money.

Staff online

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7