Has Menzies Retired?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I regard this as one of the biggest announcements to come from our club in recent times, and to see them stumble round the issue is extremely disappointing

I notice the club has this on their front page but have cropped the top part out mentioning retirement, it's not over just yet.

MANLY legend and rugby league's greatest tryscoring forward, Steve Menzies, will retire from the NRL after this season - and it could be as the only player in 100 years to play 350 first-grade games.
After months of deliberation, Menzies, 34, will not return in 2009 after an extraordinary 16 seasons of first-grade football.

The Beaver now has just under four months of his wonderful NRL career remaining before he walks off Brookvale Oval for the final time.

Menzies may play a final season in England but could never play against the club where he has become a true champion.

Perhaps Menzies was pre-empted by a flyer promoting his tribute dinner at the Sofitel Wentworth on August 21. It was headed: "A legend retires".

No player has played 350 first-grade games since 1908 - the former Canterbury and Wests champion Terry Lamb coming closest on 349. If Menzies plays every remaining game this year and then four finals matches, he will play his 350th match on grand final day.

Menzies would not fully confirm his impending retirement but it's understood Manly have little money left in their 2009 salary cap to offer him a substantial contract.

"My biggest fear is playing a season, or even half a season, too long," Menzies said yesterday.

"I don't want people to say he was a good player but what's he doing out there now. No one wants to play one season too many. I think I've played at a good standard my whole career and that's the level I expect of myself. It's getting more and more likely I won't be at Manly next year. I've been waiting to see what Manly want to do but there's not much money there."

Menzies may, however, still play one final season in the English Super League.

"It has always been a goal of mine to play overseas," he said. "The competition over there is getting better and better. It's something I'd love to do. I may still want to compete. It just may not be in the NRL."

Menzies has scored 170 tries, second only to Team of the Century winger Ken Irvine (212).

He has also played the most number of games for one club (334, including the Manly-run Northern Eagles).

Sea Eagles chief executive Grant Mayer said Menzies will officially announce his decision within the next fortnight.

"We've been told by his manager (Wayne Beavis) that 'Beaver' wants until June 30 to make a decision," Mayer said. "As a club and a rugby league legend, he should be given that time."

Menzies already has a career after football and is a director of Menzies Financial Group.

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/sport/nrl/story/0,26799,23885604-5006066,00.html

1 more year.

Cant we throw some of the brookie oval funds at him?

Dan link said:
1 more year.

Cant we throw some of the brookie oval funds at him?
Of course we can, he is part of the ground and the stadium and surley upgrading his contract would also be upgrading the stadium :)

I find it very hard to swallow that after all this time a legend like Steve Menzies says "I'm not sure what i'll be doing, there isn't much money there" If someone like Steve Menzies wants to play on you make more money!

Beaver was quoted in the Manly Daily about two weeks ago that he had something like 5 more weeks to make up his mind. It looks like that date has been pushed forward and I wonder where that comes from. No matter what the outcome it won't change his legendary standing. With his regular posting on the interchange bench I would be surprised if he doesn't have another season in him. He has had an almost injury free career but that went pear-shaped at the beginning of last year so I am sure that is playing on his mind.

Beaver's management has said nothing and it is all speculation. It is journos putting two and two together. It is the likely scenario but not set in concrete.

A win in the GF with Beaver breaking the record in that game would be a great way to go out!!!  Who believes in fairytales?????

Agree KE, sounds as though Beaver's management has taken it upon themselves to finalise his career

Castleford rule out Menzies but flag more foreign raids

Daniel Lane | June 22, 2008

ENGLISH club Castleford have pulled out of the running to lure Manly's Steve Menzies to the Super League.

Menzies, 34, is in the twilight of his career, but was considered a desirable signing by Castleford, whose roster includes former Bulldogs halfback Brett Sherwin. But the club has changed its priorities.

"Steve Menzies is the consummate professional, a class player and tremendous person … he'd be great for any club over here," said Castleford's manager, Mick Robinson. "In the end, we had to look at a few things. We have to look at filling other positions."

Menzies is expected to be pursued by the Leigh Centurions (based in outer Manchester) if they are named as one of the two teams Super League intends to include under expansionary plans.

Leigh, the Wales-based Celtic Crusaders, Salford, Widnes Featherstone, Halifax and Toulouse from France are all in contention.

Robinson said regardless of which franchise was included in the competition, it would mean an even greater demand for quality NRL players. "They'll be wanting results quick, so they'll want to sign the best players available, and that will mean the NRL," he said.

St George-Illawarra's Jason Ryles (Catalans) and Parramatta's Chad Robinson (London) are the latest players to join the Aussie exodus to cashed-up northern hemisphere clubs.

So far this year, 11 players have signed with the Super League. They include representative players Danny Buderus, Ryles and Michael Crocker.

However, former Australian winger Matt King, who signed a multimillion-dollar deal with Warrington, is proof that while England might be paved with gold, it is still a challenge for NRL stars. While King starred for the Melbourne Storm, he admits he has struggled to come to terms with the English lifestyle.

Former England star Gary Schofield has slammed the form of King and fellow Aussie import Michael Monaghan, even going so far as to label King one of the worst overseas signings in the history of Super League.

SilentBob link said:
Former England star Gary Schofield has slammed the form of King and fellow Aussie import Michael Monaghan,

Maybe he should be pissed off with his recruitment department instead.  Did they think they were signing a superstar or something?

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4