Hatred runs deep in the NRL

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I liken Manly to be like the BOSS everyone loves to hate because they: cant be them, feel intimidated, are belittled, feel inferior, are treated with contempt and are simply beaten around but keep coming back for more again and again.

MANLY is BOSS - that is all

Meantime you've got the NRL desperately manufacturing rivalries. This one is laughable. Upper class Roosters against working class Panthers??? Really??? fmd!!!

http://www.nrl.com/roosters-v-panthers-a-fierce-rivalry/tabid/10874/newsid/71978/default.aspx

NRL.com
Tue 30th April, 4:00pm

All things aside, the simple demographics of the upper-class Eastern Suburbs and the working class west of Penrith make this clash a mouth-watering one in the stands. Add in the spice of a grand final anniversary and a number of big name player transfers over the years and you’ve got two quality rivals.

This year, both teams are celebrating the 10 year anniversary of the Panthers second premiership success in 2003, a victory over the Roosters who were in one of the most dominant periods of their history. That success was one of great satisfaction to the boys from Penrith, who were forced to invest heavily in their junior resources after struggling in the years prior (including a wooden spoon in 2001). The game was played in constant rainfall, setting the scene for a fairytale style victory as the hard toiling Panthers took down the flashy Roosters, and included one of the most inspiring grand final moments when 31 year old Scott Sattler chased down Roosters winger Todd Byrne and tackled him into touch at a critical moment in the game. It turned the momentum, with Penrith scoring shortly after to take the lead and go on to win.

The story of this rivalry is made more intriguing by two high-profile player movements in the past 20 years. The first of these was played out in 2003, eight seasons after Roosters captain Brad Fittler had moved east with coach Phil Gould in 1996. Fittler was the golden child of the west, having debuted for NSW and Australia as a teenager as well as winning a premiership with Penrith in 1991. Whilst he is now held as a legend of Penrith rugby league, sentiment towards him around the move was very negative and has long caused angst between the two clubs.

Gould’s move back to Penrith in 2011 after a tenure at the Roosters as head coach and coaching director reignited the rivalry to a degree, until the last off-season. Amongst a plethora of high-quality recruits, Panthers junior and State of Origin centre Michael Jennings decided to move east, taking up a contract with the Roosters after being released from Penrith. After a chequered off-field past at Penrith, Jennings has been a star for the Tricolours this season, and is sure to be the talking point of Sunday’s game.

While much of the attention will centre on Jennings’ move east, the rivalry and history between these two clubs is certain to provide a spectacular backdrop for this clash, as the flashy, up-market Roosters take on the working class Panthers ten years on from their memorable victory. It could just be the perfect setting for a repeat of the game, particularly with so many mates who played for both clubs reliving memories from not so long ago.

Nice try but it's no fibros & silvertails no matter how you tart it up. Most Roosters fans are just as working class as any other Sydney club.

Wolfpack said:
Duff said:
The westies, the bogans, the wankers, the toothless, the unemployable, the inbred, the ethnic stereotypes, they all support other teams and i hate them for being them.

Typical Spirit fan.

I believe that even a hun-yid can break the mould.
So when he doesn't................................

Daniel said:
Urghh I wish we would stop poating articles from the roar as actual articles. Can we juat link to them so we immediately know they are user written pap

I third this motion.

You should tell this site owner to make that a rule. I hear you have contacts.

Great article. Makes the point directly and indirectly on the tribalism that runs through Leagues fans' veins.

I feel the Matai/Lockyer comment is part of the later noted 'made up' stuff that people use to justify hating a team/player.

That Roosters v Penrith game is a genuine rivalry these days, dating back to 2003 where they played a spiteful clash just before the finals and then Penrith beat them in the GF, Hodges was a big player in it at the time and he and Girdler were right into each other

Duff said:
Great article that. Even if half the crap about Manly is wrong.

You don't hate a club because of its players either. Players come, players go. Players may even come to your team who you hate.

The real hatred has to be for the enemy fans. The pricks who talk it up at work. The yob in the pub who went to a game once in the 80's and played a game once in the 70's yet still feels that he knows what he's talking about. The mate of a mate who thinks it's ok to live (umm, not allowed to say northern beaches any more) between Manly and Palm beach, no further west than Terrey Hills and yet hate on the local team for no reason. The arrogant Souffs fan who must have just chosen the team with the most premierships and thinks it's legit for him to go on about, even though he was not a supporter when they won their last one. The saints fan who believes that it's their right to win, even if the refs need to cheat for them. The westies, the bogans, the wankers, the toothless, the unemployable, the inbred, the ethnic stereotypes, they all support other teams and i hate them for being them.

Bless you good Manly fans.
I love you brother

Kiwi Eagle said:
That Roosters v Penrith game is a genuine rivalry these days, dating back to 2003 where they played a spiteful clash just before the finals and then Penrith beat them in the GF, Hodges was a big player in it at the time and he and Girdler were right into each other

Give me a break. What great moments have there been in this Roosters & Panthers before and after a fortnight in 2003? What happened in 2012's meeting of these "rivals"? 2011? 2010? 1978? 1967? Nothing.

That doesn't make for a rivalry. Imagined differences in social & economic classes of fans don't make for a rivalry. Manly v Norths is a rivalry. Souths & Easts is a rivalry.

Brissie Kid said:
Kiwi Eagle said:

Give me a break. What great moments have there been in this Roosters & Panthers before and after a fortnight in 2003? What happened in 2012's meeting of these "rivals"? 2011? 2010? 1978? 1967? Nothing.

That doesn't make for a rivalry. Imagined differences in social & economic classes of fans don't make for a rivalry. Manly v Norths is a rivalry. Souths & Easts is a rivalry.

There have been plenty of tough game over the years since, and have read many articles about it over the years since in RLW etc

I never mentioned the social and economic stuff when I explained to you why these 2 clubs have had a rivalry, I mentioned the onfield clashes that had a bit extra in them over those few years when this thing began. That is general marketing they used to try and build it up, but they did also mention other reasons why there is a bit on the clash. Many people call Manly v Melbourne a rivalry too, how did that start ? A GF encounter and a few rough games ...

Maybe grudge match could be a better term between these 2, but there is certainly something there, albeit not to the level of a Souths v Easts or Sharks v Dragons etc

A mate who supports Souffs was 'up me for the rent', hence I didn't answer my phone.
I sent him this text:

It's not like I'm sulking- it's just like... well,you don't know what it's like to be a regular winner... after all, Souffs haven't enjoyed success since 1971. We've won 8 premierships since then!
But anyway, congratulations. On THAT night the better team won the chocolates.

His reply:
Your text typifies why Manly & their supporters are so hated!

My reply:
I take that as a compliment!

lismore_fan said:
A mate who supports Souffs was 'up me for the rent', hence I didn't answer my phone.
I sent him this text:

It's not like I'm sulking- it's just like... well,you don't know what it's like to be a regular winner... after all, Souffs haven't enjoyed success since 1971. We've won 8 premierships since then!
But anyway, congratulations. On THAT night the better team won the chocolates.

His reply:
Your text typifies why Manly & their supporters are so hated!

My reply:
I take that as a compliment!

At this point you should deactivate that particular friendship for ever. There is no future in having non-Manly supporters as friends. And when you marry, make sure she is a Manly fan. Otherwise it isn't going to happen.

Phantar said:

At this point you should deactivate that particular friendship for ever. There is no future in having non-Manly supporters as friends. And when you marry, make sure she is a Manly fan. Otherwise it isn't going to happen.

Gotta disagree Phantar. My wife is a dragons supporter and we have a very understanding relationship.
When Manly are playing, anyone but the Dragons, we both go for the Eagles.
When Manly are playing the Dragons we both still go for the Eagles because my crankiness out weighs her happiness if Manly lose.
See the perfect relationship. :)

Phantar said:
And when you marry, make sure she is a Manly fan. Otherwise it isn't going to happen.

Not true. My wife was a Parramatta supporter when I first met her but I quickly converted her into a Manly supporter :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8