Having a spare 2.5 mill isn't enough

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
But I heard its the player's unhappy with him. Thats the issue. He's slowly lost 80% of his roster.

You need a leader that inspires you to greatness. Not a leader that inspires you to sign elsewhere.

I'd say that's an enditement on the attitudes of younger players.
Which is alarming, surely they've seen the multiple videos on him having his head stomped on, black eyes, blood coming out of his mouth and think this is a guy I want to play hard for.

How is that not inspiring, it inspires me and I don't play for Manly.

What planet are you people on . Penn and Kelly have already have things in place for the future
HE has won premierships with the Sea Eagles as a player and coach, and now club legend Bob Fulton is front and centre in a bold initiative to revitalise Manly’s junior rugby league nursery.

Fulton, who has grandchildren playing in the junior league competition, decided to get involved after what he has observed over recent years.

“It’s pretty well documented my concern about what is happening,” Fulton said.

The new board’s blueprint has the support of the Penn family and club CEO Joe Kelly.

The club has development programs moving from the under 13s, 14s and 15s leading into the Harold Matthews and SG Ball representative sides.

“Some kids are late bloomers, some mature quicker than others, so we are making sure we don’t miss anybody,” Fulton said.

The plan also involves identifying young players from outside the area who can compliment the local talent to give Manly seriously competitive sides.
Living in the past. How does he propose we hang on to these juniors without a club culture they want to be a part of or without brown paper bags to throw?

Living in the past. How does he propose we hang on to these juniors without a club culture they want to be a part of or without brown paper bags to throw?
Never fear the immortal and man of wisdom Fulton is back here and in charge , If you have any questions ring him feathered friend :)

Never fear the immortal and man of wisdom Fulton is back here and in charge , If you have any questions ring him feathered friend :)
You mean to bloke who was replaced by Peter Sharp as coach?

His time has passed just like Bennett's has. Look at how well the knights are playing this year with basically the same roster that Bennett had last year. And they still have the two Sims brothers to come back as well.

The easiest of the above to implement is giving youth a go.There is absolutely nothing to lose.We are trying to put wounded stars out there every week and it isn't working so there is ZERO to lose.Looking at the draw and constant injuries I expect us to be at best 3 and 7 after 10 rounds and more likely 1 and 9.

From what I have heard the biggest chink in Tooves armour as a coach is his lack of willingness to experiment(and the use of the 4th interchange which quite frankly has been ludicrous). Hasson playing first grade in front of Jake and Sao is impossible to fathom from the outside. The explanation for the lack of game time for these youngsters has been the fact we have soldiered on and kept winning. That is not the case now obviously.

Jake,Sao,Tom T,Williame and others need to be given a chance.These injuries may be a blessing.Development is more important than results right now and it shows to players considering a move to our club we are intent on rebuilding as opposed to clinging to a sinking ship.

On that note it is interesting to compare how expectations are handled in the AFL compared to the NRL.AFL teams are open in terms of managing fans expectations for a particular season regarding the development of the roster and results and this allows them time to implement long term strategies. In league you lose 5 games and a new plan is demanded.The AFL doesn't do everything well but that is an area we can definitely learn from.Gould has (told Cleary he expected two wooden spoons to begin with) and if the plan is made totally clear to fans they will cop a bad run.
Agree 100%
And while we're on the interchange, why was Tommy S kept off the field until the second half when our players were being exhausted by non-stop defense in the first half?

I'd say that's an enditement on the attitudes of younger players.
Which is alarming, surely they've seen the multiple videos on him having his head stomped on, black eyes, blood coming out of his mouth and think this is a guy I want to play hard for.

How is that not inspiring, it inspires me and I don't play for Manly.

Totally different though I think mate. Wayne Gretzky was probably the best ever Ice Hockey player, but made a dreadful coach, and his teams always failed.

I think the best coaches are the best communicators. They bring the best out of the people OFF the field as well as on.

Coaches like Bennett, Bellamy & even Hasler do this so well. Their players want to play for them.

From what I have heard 1st hand, heard from others and have read, Tooveys communicating skills are dreadful. He doesnt improve the person, he doesn't improve the player.

I personally cannot think of one player on our roster he has changed or improved. His players want to leave him, and talk up opposition coaches.

Id never disrespect what he did as a player, and he'll always have that. But the last three /four months of play from our team has been disastrous, and Toovey looks lost.

He has created this culture. If he falls on that sword, it will be his own doing....which IS unfortunate, because he will always be a club legend.

But winning and losing is just that. Weve lost something like 12 of our last 15 games now (including 9s, trials, finals, and season proper games). I think if Toovey WASNT a club legend, he'd be under much, much more pressure than he is as it is.

You mean to bloke who was replaced by Peter Sharp as coach?

His time has passed just like Bennett's has. Look at how well the knights are playing this year with basically the same roster that Bennett had last year. And they still have the two Sims brothers to come back as well.
You are comparing Sharp with Fulton and then questioning Fultons stature and Knowledge of the game ? You should not mix alcohol with your medication :)

Totally different though I think mate. Wayne Gretzky was probably the best ever Ice Hockey player, but made a dreadful coach, and his teams always failed.

I think the best coaches are the best communicators. They bring the best out of the people OFF the field as well as on.

Coaches like Bennett, Bellamy & even Hasler do this so well. Their players want to play for them.

From what I have heard 1st hand, heard from others and have read, Tooveys communicating skills are dreadful. He doesnt improve the person, he doesn't improve the player.

I personally cannot think of one player on our roster he has changed or improved. His players want to leave him, and talk up opposition coaches.

Id never disrespect what he did as a player, and he'll always have that. But the last three /four months of play from our team has been disastrous, and Toovey looks lost.

He has created this culture. If he falls on that sword, it will be his own doing....which IS unfortunate, because he will always be a club legend.

But winning and losing is just that. Weve lost something like 12 of our last 15 games now (including 9s, trials, finals, and season proper games). I think if Toovey WASNT a club legend, he'd be under much, much more pressure than he is as it is.

I tend to agree with you.

its becoming obvious he is not a man manager.

How did we finish equal first last year with a squad that is identical except for Choc who has been garbage this year anyway? We have gone from losing the minor premiership at the post to looking like spoon candidates in an offseason. I just don't get it. And you can't blame the Penns. Players don't give a **** about the board room. If they did we'd have had ten straight spoons.

I'm starting to feel like if this season continues as its began, then Toovey should go. At some point bad performances ultimately fall on the coach. And if he can't rally the troops and push them through this crap form then the axe needs to fall. If Foz is white anting send him to NSW cup. If we aren't scoring points devise a game plan where we do. 4 points against the Dragons is ****ing pathetic. A similar performance against the Raiders and I really stop caring who is coach.

I love Tooves. He is a an absolute legend. He did seem to do a good job 2012 and 2013. Even 2014 we were unlucky not to make the GF Qualifier again.

However it does sound like he is struggling.

We have had a bad run of injuries this year however we are playing terribly and that comes down to the coach.

If we take off our Maroon glasses and give our forwards an honest assessment then it's no wonder we are struggling this year. They're are all honest toilers but how many of this years forwards would get a walk up start in any other team.
The loss and (failure of replacement) to key forwards coupled with player retention managerial blunders are hardly Toovey's fault.

If we take off our Maroon glasses and give our forwards an honest assessment then it's no wonder we are struggling this year. They're are all honest toilers but how many of this years forwards would get a walk up start in any other team.
The loss and (failure of replacement) to key forwards coupled with player retention managerial blunders are hardly Toovey's fault.
We don't number up too differently to last year though. So why the huge drop off. If anything out pack is deeper. We started BJ and King/Starling last year. Choc crabbed a lot last year and wasn't that great. I just can't see why we aren't up for it this year other than the players aren't putting in which falls on the coach.

You are comparing Sharp with Fulton and then questioning Fultons stature and Knowledge of the game ? You should not mix alcohol with your medication :)
Cannot read where I compared Fulton to Sharp and where I questioned Fulton's stature and standing in the game. Merely said that Sharp replaced Fulton as coach. Fact.

The game has changed immensely since Fulton coached so are his ideas relevant any more?

A bit like saying lets bring Arko back. Arko was top dog when there was no salary cap and Manly was backed by tens of millions of dollars from the leagues club. He would struggle today being CEO especially when he would have to report to the Penns.

Won't happen while dinosaurs like the leak still roam the corridors. There are self interest factors at work here and they don't give a **** for the future of this club as a football success.
I HATE that fat turd

Penn can do whatever he feels like doing with the club and its roster/staff. It's his club now.

Can't be many more heads to roll to satisfy his ego; surely?

Maybe you're right Loobs and I'm not seeing the bigger picture.
Although I think losing 3.....10 year forwards in one year may of had a huge effect on team morale...that's a lot of history.

Last edited:
Cannot read where I compared Fulton to Sharp and where I questioned Fulton's stature and standing in the game. Merely said that Sharp replaced Fulton as coach. Fact.

The game has changed immensely since Fulton coached so are his ideas relevant any more?

A bit like saying lets bring Arko back. Arko was top dog when there was no salary cap and Manly was backed by tens of millions of dollars from the leagues club. He would struggle today being CEO especially when he would have to report to the Penns.
Fulton has always kept in touch with the game being a representative selector and commentator . Arko in your opinion would struggle being a CEO today is just an absurd opinion and not a fact :)

Maybe you're right Loobs and I'm not seeing the bigger picture.
Although I think losing 3.....10 year forwards in one year may of had a huge effect on team morale...that's a lot of history.
It is but I'm looking solely at our 2014 to 2015 performance. Gift barely played last year. King was past it. Choc did a lot of sideways running. Buhrer was the stud of that pack and we were shown down the stretch to lack depth. I'm really hoping this years ****ty efforts are just due to a huge injury toll but it's going to hit midnight on guys like Killer and Matai and even Snake and Father Time will turn them into pumpkins.

In regards to Toovey, his record over the past 3 years has been good. There probably have been underlying issues in that time but the team just rolled on. The Glen Stewart saga seems to have been the tipping point and it's been getting worse ever since.

I heard an interview by Mason and he described Toovey's coaching style as, "run hard, tackle hard". That doesn't surprise me but these days, the more successful coaches are the planners & thinkers. Hasler, Bellamy, Maguire, and Robinson are like this. Perhaps to a much lessor extent, even Arthur.

Toovey's more simple style can work but the players need to buy into it. Clearly, some of the senior players don't want to continue and have looked elsewhere. Perhaps it's a combination of; they've won their premiership, rebuilding requires a lot of hard work, and they can't be bothered being bart of the next generation. Plus of course the huge money on offer.

However, there are still plenty of players at the club who do want their chance and do want to be part of the future. These are the ones who deserve priority now and the sooner the club gets behind these players, the sooner things will turn around.

Lyon, Ballin, Buhrer, Sene-Lefao, Hiku, Lawrence, Starling, Mason, Trbojevic, Sao, Stewart, Symonds, Gutherson, Lui, Chee Kam, Hodges, Mateo, Wiliame, Blair, Littlejohn, Rudolph, Burgess, Leary, Taufua, Andrews and Matai.

As far as I can tell, these guys plus a few others want to be part of the rebuilding. Add in some of the U/20's players and the future doesn't look to bad. Still haven't spent a cent.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
7 4 3 -8 8