Hello from overseas!

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

akulagepard

Rookie
Hey there, I’ve been following the NRL since covid break out and watching the games, I realized I started to like and cheer for the Maroon and White.

I’d like to ask you guys: Why does everybody hates Manly so much? I’ve read about it but nothing that i’ve founded looked outrageous/illegal.

If I may, i’d like to ask a more elaborated 2nd question: Is Manly really a silvertail club with more well-to-do fans compared to the rest of the league, or is Manly deep down another working class club who got a fame of having rich supporters because of its suburb/club economics?

The Narrabeen lagoon is not really overseas... however, welcome!

Manly was unpopular with some because we signed some good players from other clubs, and we were successful. Notably we got some from Souths, some from Norths and some from Wests.
Many other fans jumped on the hate Manly bandwagon just because we continued to be successful, but as you note, there was nothing illegal in what we did, or even unusual.

Not sure when the expression was coined but we were known as the Silvertails from decades back, and it relates to us signing a number of star players, so the implication is we were rich and lured them with big money. This was not exactly correct, there were several clubs wealthier than Manly, and often players chose to come here because their previous clubs were ripping them off or simply because they wanted a chance to win a comp.

Nowadays we have a majority private owner, who is rich by some standards but is a poor rich guy compared to some others and so Manly certainly has a tight budget and would be one of the poorer clubs, since we came back as a stand alone entity post super league merger BS.

But the new centre of excellence grandstand will help a lot!

Manly was unpopular with some because we signed some good players from other clubs, and we were successful. Notably we got some from Souths, some from Norths and some from Wests.
Many other fans jumped on the hate Manly bandwagon just because we continued to be successful, but as you note, there was nothing illegal in what we did, or even unusual.

Not sure when the expression was coined but we were known as the Silvertails from decades back, and it relates to us signing a number of star players, so the implication is we were rich and lured them with big money. This was not exactly correct, there were several clubs wealthier than Manly, and often players chose to come here because their previous clubs were ripping them off or simply because they wanted a chance to win a comp.

Nowadays we have a majority private owner, who is rich by some standards but is a poor rich guy compared to some others and so Manly certainly has a tight budget and would be one of the poorer clubs, since we came back as a stand alone entity post super league merger BS.

But the new centre of excellence grandstand will help a l

But the new centre of excellence grandstand will help a lot!
thanks for you reply, man! That makes a lot of sense.

What about the supporters? Do you think Manly fans are “richer”/more conservative than you average league fan? I’ve seen this around too.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2