Help Me Identify This Player - 1977 Footy Card

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
bob dylan said:
The list of players from that year is below

BAKER, Ian
BRANIGHAN, Ray
BYRNE, Peter
EADIE, Graham
FREIER, Laurie
FULTON, Bob
GARTNER, Russell
GIBBS, John
HARVEY, John
HILL, Terry (who was this guy)
JACKSON, Rod
KRILICH, Max
LOWE, Phil
MARTIN, Ian
MOONEY, Tom
NORTON, Steve
PARKES, Col
RANDALL, Terry
STEPHENS, Gary
THOMPSON, Alan
THOROUGHGOOD, Gary
WALLER, Mick
WILLOUGHBY, Mark
WILSON, Brian

The Terry Hill in that team was a blonde winger,went pretty well too

Shoe1 said:
Looking closely at the card tonight, I could be wrong. The player is quite lean. Could be a typo on the card.

From that year I have 2 Johnny Gibbs bob, need him?

As I said in the thread I only need about 25 cards from the very rare 1970 to have every set from 1968 to 1986, I have 2 and 3 sets from some years.

Roscoe, thanks for that info, I dont remember him at all for some reason.

Berkeley_Eagle said:
But should ask does it still have the bubble gum smell
...the smell, the smell!...I was like the crack-whore of card sniffing back then...good times!!:D

PONTIAN SEA EAGLE said:
Send me the card i'll do a dna test on it.

Please dont put your "DNA" on the images of Manly players. We all love them but thats going to far my friend.:D

bob dylan said:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1977-Scanlens-Card-Manly-John-Harvey-111-/330607958090?pt=AU_NRL_Rugby_League_Merchandise&hash=item4cf9c5184a

The card says its John Harvey, I don't think it is.

More to the point has he signed with the dogs

The mighty Col Parkes on a card from 1977.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1977-Scanlens-Card-Manly-Sea-Eagles-Col-Parkes-114-/330628727846?pt=AU_NRL_Rugby_League_Merchandise&hash=item4cfb020426

eagles2win said:
More to the point has he signed with the dogs

I know Mark Brokenshire did!

img_1508_000.jpg

1978%20scanlens0048.jpg

1979%20scanlens%20single0053.jpg

Mate it's defiantely John Harvey. I played juniors with him @ Harbord Diggrers and my best mate married his sister. It's defiately him. 100%.

The Insomniac said:
Mate it's defiantely John Harvey. I played juniors with him @ Harbord Diggrers and my best mate married his sister. It's defiately him. 100%.

That will do me. Thanks for confirming that.

I seen him sent off at Brookie one day when he was Rooster player, it was the first tackle of the match from memory. 16 May 1982, Manly won 20-19.

I think this 1976 team photo also proves it, back row between Igor and Phil Lowe.

[attachment=221]

Attachments

• Manly 1976 Grand Final.jpg
    5.4 KB · Views: 15
I recall it was a mistake by Scanlens at the time and was in fact a photo of Mick Waller (a back-up fullback to Graham Eadie / & winger who played more reserve grade at the time).

The mystery continues …. !

Eagles Nest 08 said:
I recall it was a mistake by Scanlens at the time and was in fact a photo of Mick Waller (a back-up fullback to Graham Eadie / & winger who played more reserve grade at the time).

The mystery continues …. !

Geez I was happy with The Insomniac's post, but I also recall it as being listed as an error by Scanlens.

Anyone got any direct contact with John Harvey, or anyone from that era.

As an aside, the back of this 1977 "John Harvey" card has a tactical tip for forwards breaking from a scrum. The others I have from 77 are jigsaw pieces.

Also there's a pic of the 1975 team on the leagues club website, Under the "quoting sea eagles" heading (i am on a mobile and can't cut and paste).Michael waller is pictured, he is a bit of a redhead, but the footy card could be him.

It does look like Mick Waller. Either way, the photo is from earlier than 1977 - there is no advertising on the jumper. So it's either 1975 or early 1976 before Pioneer came onboard mid-season. So it could be a younger and leaner Harvey, but I think it's Waller.

As I said at the start the photo was taken in 1976. Hence the 76 team photo and team list. The card is from 1977 set.

bob dylan said:
SeaEagleRock8 said:
Are we sure it is from 1977...?

You are talking to someone who has every set from 1968 to 1986, except for a few 1970 cards I am chasing. Plus just about every Manly card from 2000 onwards.

http://www.dansnrlcollectables.com/contents/en-us/d52_01.html

Nice collection BOB .. i use to collect them, do you remember the set that came out & you rubbed the back with a coin to reveal a question
,sometimes it wasn`t even a question but was a pic of the teams logo??
And i also remember another year they came out & abt 80% of them were just head shots, i always liked the action shots better.
& another thing why did John Ribot change his name , use to be John Ribot De Brasca , i remember one of his cards was a action shot of him just having put up a bomb..

Thats not my collection just a link I used, I do have all those Manly cards though.

The 1975 set was the one with the scratch question of the back.

John Ribot De Brasac was a Newtown card from 1978 heres a link

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1978-RUGBY-LEAGUE-CARD-123-JOHN-RIBOT-DE-BRESAC-JETS-/330546400520?pt=AU_NRL_Rugby_League_Merchandise&hash=item4cf619cd08

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2