Huuuuge 2nd ROW depth

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

maxta

First Grader
Premium Member
What a sweet situation - huge depth in the backrow...
After the loss of Watmough & Stewart , theres an abundance of players of good quality, fighting to earn a place in the Seaeagles 17 in 2015.
Mateo, Symonds, Buhrer, Horo, Leary, Chee Kam, Sene Lafao, Trbojevic & Hasson lead the fight to grab a spot but who will make the cut??
Mateo , Buhrer & Symonds are most prominant but theres no doubt JSL & Leary are in the early running.
Trbojevic is my smokey to get a position & keep it at some stage in 2015 & keep it till retiring in 2028 as a Manly legend...
So who makes the cut??

Lui is in there too. Possibly BJ if we want to throw out as big a pack as possible early in games.

Lot's of options (if I'm honest...not sure any come close to Gift or Choc) I'd really only class Buhrer as an incumbent. Also thinking Tooves may be viewing Trbojevic as a prop so for the purpose of this discussion I'll eliminate him as a contender. I've watched Mateo fade in and out of games at previous clubs so I'm not sold on him yet but I assume he'll get the nod because he was probably our most expensive buy in the off season. The final back row position and interchange is anyone's guess although I do like Leary as a smokie !
Buhrer
Mateo
?
?

After watching Tyson Andrews in the all stars game he looks strong and gave it a decent crack, hopefully everyone in the pack is digging in trying to win a spot.
I'm hoping JSL gets a start with Buhrer out, so our starting pack will look like:
Lawrence
Ballin
Starling
Mateo
JSL
Lui
No size problems there, the smallest bloke is Lui at 6'0". Nobody under 100kgs either.

Hasson must have grabbed the goat video.If he gets a run this year over those named above then there must have been some really sick **** going on in that film.

Hasson is such a plonker. Why is he even in our team.

Success is based on Quality and not Quantity .
Action also speaks louder than words and our forwards for this year will do their talking on the field for us .

Tyson Andrews was impressive. I didn't realise he was indigenous. He is a front rower though.
Jesse is a must somewhere in the 17 as he is so enthusiastic. Can't wait for the season to start and our second rowers pitting themselves against that bloke from Doesn'tmatta.

Mateo is quality & though been a rocks or diamonds type player, Manly should add the consistency he has lacked elsewhere so he could well be a massive addition.
Buhrer has best to come - toughened up plenty the past 2 seasons.
Hasson - will agree has not kicked on but for a bloke his size & speed has potential to add far more, I think Horo was just as disappointing in 2014
JSL is solid & adds punch & direct running, every chance a spot for him.
Leary is the smokey imo, seems to have the skillful elements in his game & could be far better known mid 2015.
Big Jake though a frontrower, adds size to the backrow & have a feeling this is where he will slowly be added - rate this bloke - huge motor & has massive potential.
Symonds is a great edge runner & works well.
No superstar players, but can certainly match it with the bigger names in the NRL.

I think we might see Mateo being hailed as the buy of the year. Another player offloaded by another club, seen as a bit of a liability, past his best....and he just explodes. As for Leary, as others have said he could well be the bolter where the NRL community says 'where did this guy come from?'.

Hope to see more of Jake T this year, but prefer him in the front row. I remember his debut and I was stunned by the size and aggression for such a young player. A couple of runs he made he had 3 and 4 people hanging off him, which you just don't usually see for a young prop.

JSL to me will be our explosive backrower, just hurtling himself at the defensive line. I rate him very highly,

IF and its a big IF Mateo ever lived up to his potential he'd be the buy of the year but well have to see how that plays out, I'm expecting the drifting in and out of games may not change, Some people can focus for long periods of time others can't not much is going to change that wherever he goes.

IF and its a big IF Mateo ever lived up to his potential he'd be the buy of the year but well have to see how that plays out, I'm expecting the drifting in and out of games may not change, Some people can focus for long periods of time others can't not much is going to change that wherever he goes.

pfftt... what would you know... oh, hang on.. :oops:

At the Rat Park trial he couldn't even focus in the warm ups. Was just walking back and fourth while everyone else went through the routine.

I'd love for him to come good but he's been more bad than brilliant lately. Which is why he got offloaded to us. If he can focus for his stints on the field, that offload is still the best in the biz and can do plenty of damage with Snake lurking...

At the Rat Park trial he couldn't even focus in the warm ups. Was just walking back and fourth while everyone else went through the routine.

I'd love for him to come good but he's been more bad than brilliant lately. Which is why he got offloaded to us. If he can focus for his stints on the field, that offload is still the best in the biz and can do plenty of damage with Snake lurking...
In which case we'll need Foz to stay and yell at him, just like he used to do with T- Rex.

My backrow is;

Buhrer
Symonds
Lui

with Mateo and JSL on the bench.

I'd have Mason and Lawrence start in the FR, with Starling and Chee Kam sharing the bench with the already mentioned Mateo and JSL.

That leaves Vave, Horo, Leary, Hasson, Andrews, Burgess, and Jake T as the ring ins. I understand Chee Kam might surprise a few of you, but he has been training really well in the middle third of the field, has speed, great footwork at the line, and a nice offload. If he stays fit, I think we have a future rep player on our hands.

My backrow is;

Buhrer
Symonds
Lui

with Mateo and JSL on the bench.

I'd have Mason and Lawrence start in the FR, with Starling and Chee Kam sharing the bench with the already mentioned Mateo and JSL.

That leaves Vave, Horo, Leary, Hasson, Andrews, Burgess, and Jake T as the ring ins. I understand Chee Kam might surprise a few of you, but he has been training really well in the middle third of the field, has speed, great footwork at the line, and a nice offload. If he stays fit, I think we have a future rep player on our hands.
Your selection sounds spot on apart from the Chee kam selection ahead of Leary , Burgess, Jake T etc . I was at the trial game against the Sharks and he didn't do anything of speed , great footwork or amazing offloads and neither did he show a high work rate . Were you at the trial game against the Sharks ?

Your selection sounds spot on apart from the Chee kam selection ahead of Leary , Burgess, Jake T etc . I was at the trial game against the Sharks and he didn't do anything of speed , great footwork or amazing offloads and neither did he show a high work rate . Were you at the trial game against the Sharks ?

Yes, I went to the trial and I agree he didn't set the world on fire, but I think he has boundless potential. In saying that, I wouldn't object to Leary grabbing a spot on the bench, but only at the expense of Chee Kam, as I believe the others are "must picks".

Yes, I went to the trial and I agree he didn't set the world on fire, but I think he has boundless potential. In saying that, I wouldn't object to Leary grabbing a spot on the bench, but only at the expense of Chee Kam, as I believe the others are "must picks".
Successful coaches select players on performance and not on potential and this is why I don't think he will be selected ahead of the others

Staff online

• Dan
    Kim Jong Dan
  • Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe
Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8