If walker don't come Lyon is 5/8

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Yep remember that game. Watched it on the box with my old man. I cursed Peter Sharp at half time and how rubbish our defence was with him as coach compared to Bozo.

I could watch Clifford throw that dummy and that inside pass that is his TM in the lead up to the Brandon Reeves try all night.

Ahh the memories. Nice one Bozo.

Cliffy could break a game open making good defence look like schoolboys & all his runners had to do was play direct inside & out....his combo with Menzies was Imo the best I have seen in rugby league...back to Lyon....sorry for those calling centre....will be at 5/8

No question in my mind Lyon can handle 5/8th, if required. His desire to not play 5/8th has nothing at all to do with his age. He didn't want to play there in 2008 either.

Lyon will handle five eight again without even thinking about it. I know the coach has said DCE floats. But Jamie is in his comfort zone on the right. I'd actually give Jamie the 7 for what that's worth. But can Turtle please take the conversions? The Turles doesn't like having to kick. but just like Jamie moving out of the centres it is for the betterment of the team.

In a lot of ways, Wall Lewis not joining Manly in 1987 helped Cliff Lyons' career.

Had Lewis joined us its almost a given that he would have become our first choice 5/8 (even Bozo wouldn't have been silly enough to play the Aussie test captain out of position). That would have left Cliffy to play either in the centres or at lock. We already knew that Snoz was going to be one of the centres in 1987 after we signed him from St George. We also had Rowdy Shearer who could play anywhere in the backline but for Manly it would most likely be fullback or centre. We also signed Kiwi test centre Darrell Williams for 1987 (though like Rowdy he could have played anywhere in the backs). And we also had 3 established back rowers in Fatty, Crusher and Rambo Gibbs.

Where would it have left Cliffy if Wally Lewis became a Sea Eagle in 1987? As I said, in a lot of ways Wally staying in Qld actually helped Cliffy. Bozo moved Cliff from lock to 5/8 and the rest is history. And I would argue that given the fact that Wally's career started going downhill from 1988 and ended after 1992 while Cliffy played on until 1999, overall it worked out better for us that we didn't get Lewis.

Last edited:
Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4