I'm glad we didn't make the GF.......this year

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
thanks Ryan, I worry that past reputations are starting to cloud judgements. Abit like my soccer team, Man United who are coming down from their top cycle. Anyone who holds onto 2008 stuff and players abilities then have to move on. In a few months it will be 2011. We are not ranked in the top echelon anymore. We are a top 8 team again!! Another mediocre year and we will slip even further. It looks like Bulldogs, Cowboys and Parra are recruiting well.

Matai did well but was nothing special. Missed some tackles at important times and made a 34 year old cripple like Mad Dog look like Reg Gasnier. When you chat to most other team supporters they can see deficiencies in his game in attack and defence. He is great from dummy half. His defence is becoming hit and miss and standing next to Watmough is even worse (those 2 together) Again, only the useless Sharks and the Warriors wanted him but compared to Inglis etc not a real blue chip player.

Farrar again did well but is now in a lower league in France, no other nrl team bothered when they knew he was off contractin 2010, demonstrates the journeyman tag about him with nrl coaches, beware mediocrity, that was Northern Eagles stuff.

If you think we were a quick team, than the continual length of the field tries summed up our pace. It was embarrassing seeing this continually. 

Darren link said:
thanks Ryan, I worry that past reputations are starting to cloud judgements. Abit like my soccer team, Man United who are coming down from their top cycle. Anyone who holds onto 2008 stuff and players abilities then have to move on. In a few months it will be 2011. We are not ranked in the top echelon anymore. We are a top 8 team again!! Another mediocre year and we will slip even further. It looks like Bulldogs, Cowboys and Parra are recruiting well.

Matai did well but was nothing special. Missed some tackles at important times and made a 34 year old cripple like Mad Dog look like Reg Gasnier. When you chat to most other team supporters they can see deficiencies in his game in attack and defence. He is great from dummy half. His defence is becoming hit and miss and standing next to Watmough is even worse (those 2 together) Again, only the useless Sharks and the Warriors wanted him but compared to Inglis etc not a real blue chip player.

Farrar again did well but is now in a lower league in France, no other nrl team bothered when they knew he was off contractin 2010, demonstrates the journeyman tag about him with nrl coaches, beware mediocrity, that was Northern Eagles stuff.

If you think we were a quick team, than the continual length of the field tries summed up our pace. It was embarrassing seeing this continually.  

Totally agree about the lack of pace, and the lack of recruiting, and the lack of youth. For that reason, we NEED to inject Cunningham, Whare, Hopoate into the team in 2011, regardless of who misses out. Remember, we get Wolfman (very young) and Stewie (25, so relatively young). Matai needs to play backrow, which then strengthens our bench and mobility, and may cover holes up the guts, and leave fringe defenders where they should be. I know I yart to death, but here goes:-

01. Brett Stewart (Fresh, keen, focused and motivated - upgrade)
02. Michael Robertson (Needs to work on pace this off season - diet)
03. Dean Whare (A full first grade season, we have a gem - and fast)
04. Jamie Lyon (He's one of the best alive)
05. David Williams (Much faster. International remember - gun)
06. Keiran Foran (now knows his role, and what is expected)
07. DCE (faster than Hodko apparently - and maybe better I hope)

That is a MUCH faster backline, and yes, while I agree T-Rex scored a few tried playing of Lyon, I guarantee Wolfman may score more. If DCE hits the ground running, and can be better than average, and on a consistent basis, I tell you that is one of the better backlines today.

08. Jason King (Was very good this past year. More of the same)
09. Matt Ballin (I hate saying this, but needs a much better 2011)
10. Brent Kite (I thought he was much better than people gave him credit for)

That is a solid prop rotation. Not great, but solid. We have a State Of Origin Prop, an INternational prop & a State of Origin Hooker. If they are on their A-games consistently, we should go well. DCE depends on it.

11. Anthony Watmough
12. Steve Matai
13. Glenn Stewart

That would be one of the most damaging, mobile, quick backrows. And all with ability to play 80 mins, and be ball players. I believe this rates up there with the best in the NRL.

14. William Hopoate (He just needs to be blended into the team anywhere)

Will Hopoate can cover any position in the backline. With Lyon there, we are very well covered.

15. George Rose (hopefully much better / quicker / more mobile)
16. James Cunningham (again will add pace, youth and mobility)

17. Shane Rodney (Love the player, and what a force he'd be coming on)

That leaves Bailey, T-Rex all fighting it out to make the team. Galuvao has apparently torn a peck, and may be out for 12 months, which may mean unfortunately he may be out for good.

We then have Buhrer, Lussick, Cross, Bailey, T-Rex, Oldfield and co. to cover for injury.....not bad eh.

well matai wont be there for first 3 round ryan how you going to go there ??  rodney in for matai  & trex promoted ?? or you going to go bailey??.

lol ;D

jjai link said:
well matai wont be there for first 3 round ryan how you going to go there ??  rodney in for matai  & trex promoted ?? or you going to go bailey??.

lol ;D

Nope.

11. Anthony Watmough
12. Shane Rodney
13. Glenn  Stewart

14. William Hopoate
15. George Rose
16. James Cunningham
17. Jamie Buhrer

If I'm Graham Lowe, I tell Steve, "mate you have to EARN your way back on the team".

I then tell Buhrer, "mate the position is yours to lose. Make sure you show me why you should keep it".

That kind of motivation is a powerful thing believe it or not mate :) Plus, a little stress never hurts anybody.

i`d give trex a go 1st ryan before cunningham , tony hasnt played back row might be interesting for a round or 2 ..

SeaEagleRock8 link said:
[quote author=Ryan link=topic=185590.msg300380#msg300380 date=1285929798]

Yup, that's what I meant. :)

If I'm Graham Lowe,

don't you mean 'if I'm Des Hasler?'
[/quote]

Darren link said:

Darren, to me that just illustrates your bias towards the bloke, stemming from your post in the last off season about not rating him. Imo you have an opinion on certain players and can't change it no matter how they perform. From memory you said he didn't score enough tries or set things up, well he and Robbo both had reasonable try hauls this season. He attacked well, he defended well. All you can bang on about is one game where McDougall carved him up.

Give me Matai in our side over Inglis any day, you know you will get 100%, not a bloke that seems to only turn up once in every 6 weeks

I also don't really get your obsession with other teams supporters views either. Other teams fans said Orford was a choker that could never win a comp, Kite was a crap front rower and the best of all, Lyon is a fat, over rated piece of ****. Who cares what they think.
Anasta is a perfect example as well, he has been playing great footy for 3 years now but other sides supporters will still point to something 5 years ago to deem him ****

It's just other teams supporters can see things without our one eyed glasses on. It's interesting to hear other opinions. We mustn't close ourselves to views that aren't Manly focused. I like matai, he works great from dummy half but I'm no fan of his defence and attack is ok. His brainsnap of a tackle in final game showed where his head was at. He knew we were desperately down on players and as a senior test rep should have shown some real ticker by playing hard fairly instead of what he did. Robbo had a very average year but does rely on his inside player giving him quality ball. Robbo wouldn't be ranked in top 10 wingers anymore. Lost his pace (Nightingale went past him and kept going) and gets pulverised everytime he runs the ball back. Best days are past him.

Darren link said:
It's just other teams supporters can see things without our one eyed glasses on. It's interesting to hear other opinions. We mustn't close ourselves to views that aren't Manly focused. I like matai, he works great from dummy half but I'm no fan of his defence and attack is ok. His brainsnap of a tackle in final game showed where his head was at. He knew we were desperately down on players and as a senior test rep should have shown some real ticker by playing hard fairly instead of what he did. Robbo had a very average year but does rely on his inside player giving him quality ball. Robbo wouldn't be ranked in top 10 wingers anymore. Lost his pace (Nightingale went past him and kept going) and gets pulverised everytime he runs the ball back. Best days are past him.

On the flipside, if you watch your team closely every week you would have more of an idea what they mean to you team

Ask anyone on here what they think of Luke Stuart, and then go and ask your Souths mates what he means to their side, and you will get 2 different answers

It doesn't matter if guys are ranked in the top 10 or not, it is about what they bring to the side, you can't have superstars 1 through 17.

If we turn out next year with this starting 13, and keep them fit for 80% of the year, we will be in the hunt

Stewart (Australia, NSW)
Robertson
Matai (NZ)
Lyon (Australia, NSW)
D Williams (Australia, NSW)
Foran (NZ)
Cherry Evans
King (NSW)
Ballin (QLD)
Kite (Australia, NSW)
Watmough (Australia, NSW)
Rodney
Stewart (Australia, NSW)

That's a bloody good team Kiwi. Robbo made his rep debut this year as well. City v Country. If we can keep that team on the park for most of the year we will be top 4.

I'm so sick of people rubbishing certain players in our team! seriously Matai has a few brainsnaps but his intimidation out wide is awesome! You ask every player in the NRL who they look out for when they are running the ball... 90% will say Matai! We have an awesome side outlined by Kiwi there... If we get lucky with injuries in the forwards (Should be ok in the backs... plenty of depth) we will go close to taking out the premiership... top 4 for sure!

MPC link said:
That's a bloody good team Kiwi. Robbo made his rep debut this year as well. City v Country. If we can keep that team on the park for most of the year we will be top 4.

Robbo also played for Scotland I believe in the World Cup...

Just to add further on some of Kiwi Eagle

Brent Kite (Tonga, Australia, NSW) - Played for Tonga in the same team as Willie Mason

Shane Rodney (City Origin)

And yes Robbo played for Scotland in the 2008 RLWC

Kiwi's team definitely on paper sounds great, nearly all quoted rep players and that's why we are on limits of cap. Yet, if you picked a best of team between nz and australia, how many would make it?

Lyon probably and watmough maybe (2010 form wouldn't though) the rest wouldn't so are we paying overs for the rest?

Brett, Glenn, Wolfie and Kite won't play tests ever again. They probably might even be lucky to play origin again. The question mark is Brett but Hayne, Dugan and Gidley will play fullback ahead of him. Hard to see King and Ballin playing origin again.

Foran had a solid/average year for us yet played test footy which shows the weakness at five eight of NZ. Interesting to see if Matai makes tests again in 2011 as he will miss upcoming series but Robbo would be a big show for Scotland. 

No reason why Glenn can't play tests again as he adds a point of difference. I wouldn't be writing off Williams at 23 or however old he is either mate

It doesn't really matter if you were picking a best of team, the days are gone where you can fit too many class players into a squad

If we look at the sides near the top this season, correct me if I am wrong here, but Dragons have nobody coming in and have to shed players like Costigan, Smith and a couple of youngsters. Titans, don't recall any new signings there, Tigers, same again.

Roosters always manage to fit new players in but there is still the rumour floating round that Anasta may be forced out due to the cap there as well

Darren link said:
Kiwi's team definitely on paper sounds great, nearly all quoted rep players and that's why we are on limits of cap. Yet, if you picked a best of team between nz and australia, how many would make it?

Lyon probably and watmough maybe (2010 form wouldn't though) the rest wouldn't so are we paying overs for the rest?

Brett, Glenn, Wolfie and Kite won't play tests ever again. They probably might even be lucky to play origin again. The question mark is Brett but Hayne, Dugan and Gidley will play fullback ahead of him. Hard to see King and Ballin playing origin again.

Foran had a solid/average year for us yet played test footy which shows the weakness at five eight of NZ. Interesting to see if Matai makes tests again in 2011 as he will miss upcoming series but Robbo would be a big show for Scotland. 

Due to Robbo being named in the Country team this year he won't be in the Scotland team this year. Scotland are playing to try and get into next year's 4 Nations but highly doubtful Wales and France are the favourites.

Foran will be in the Kiwi halves for year's to come. And unlike previous year's they'll have options in the halves in the future.

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6