I'm loving the A League

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Frogz said:
Hey Gallop and Simon Hill have been flapping their gums all week about how football in Australia will soon be Number 1.....great start Goose, that is one of the lowest games I've watched...and what a cracker....9,000 maybe......and snoresville of a game...keep talking it up...it needs plenty

Crowd was 20,000 Frogz

manlyfan76 said:
... and unbiased commentary.

You mustn't have been watching it on Foxsports. It was the most biased, one-sided commentary I have heard for a long time.

It was all Sydney this or ADP that. It was almost like Newcastle weren't out there.

The thought of the A league makes me want to throw up. Much like the thought of the summer of cricket.

I'm in sport hibernation bar the Australian Open tennis until March.

NYEagle

congrats australian soccer on your 6-0 defeat by france to follow up on your 6-0 thrashing by brazil.

Aust coach has just been sacked.

Onwards and upwards!

Call it what ever you like, Soocer, Wogball, Roundball, Pansyball, Football. Talking about the code is better than not talking about it, whether negative or positive.

If you think Soccer/Football's popularity is not growing your in denial. I don't think it will become the number 1 football code in Australia in at least the next 20 years but gap is closing very quickly.

In the 70's 80's 90's you never saw people wearing Socceroos jerseys with "Warren", "Farina", "Zelic" etc on the back now every kid seems to have a Socceroos jersey with either Kewell or Cahill on the back. Now the A-League jerseys are selling out.

Also a reminder that if the A-League fails just like old NSL did it will be back with a new league & if it fails 50 more times it will continue to come back because it's the world game & number 1 sport in probably 190 of 195 countries. If NSW, QLD & Northern England didnt look after Rugby League it will become extinct. Union has a few more supporters worldwide. What would happen to AFL if a huge wave wiped out Australia?

Aetna said:
Call it what ever you like, Soocer, Wogball, Roundball, Pansyball, Football. Talking about the code is better than not talking about it, whether negative or positive.

If you think Soccer/Football's popularity is not growing your in denial. I don't think it will become the number 1 football code in Australia in at least the next 20 years but gap is closing very quickly.

In the 70's 80's 90's you never saw people wearing Socceroos jerseys with "Warren", "Farina", "Zelic" etc on the back now every kid seems to have a Socceroos jersey with either Kewell or Cahill on the back. Now the A-League jerseys are selling out.

Also a reminder that if the A-League fails just like old NSL did it will be back with a new league & if it fails 50 more times it will continue to come back because it's the world game & number 1 sport in probably 190 of 195 countries. If NSW, QLD & Northern England didnt look after Rugby League it will become extinct. Union has a few more supporters worldwide. What would happen to AFL if a huge wave wiped out Australia?

I don't care. This site is built upon the love of the Manly Sea Eagles. If you think folks on here rate EPL or any other comp above the NRL then you are delusional. I like football/soccer. ADP's efforts this weekend were fantastic. But the A-League is bottom Championship level. I'm sorry, it has some high points, but it is painful to watch. I understand that the players aren't earning 200k UKPs per week and there is the answer. I'm not hating at all but it is a long way from making me a fan.

ManlyBacker said:
Aetna said:

I don't care. This site is built upon the love of the Manly Sea Eagles. If you think folks on here rate EPL or any other comp above the NRL then you are delusional. I like football/soccer. ADP's efforts this weekend were fantastic. But the A-League is bottom Championship level. I'm sorry, it has some high points, but it is painful to watch. I understand that the players aren't earning 200k UKPs per week and there is the answer. I'm not hating at all but it is a long way from making me a fan.
And Parra V tigers nrl match is like watching a bunch of stoners V a bunch of acid freaks. Good for a laugh but not quality nrl.

I suppose you have to understand a sport to enjoy it. You can get a very good quality 1-1 match in soccer/football similar to the 4-0 Rooster win over Manly where only one try was scores. People that didn't understand rugby league thought it was boring because only try was scored. The rugby union fans funny enough are one the biggest critics of soccer/football because of the 1-0 & 0-0 draws but they love watching a rugby union match which hardest worker is the linesman due to the ball being out of play most of the time & the scores are 43-39 but only 1 or 2 tries are scored.

manlyfan76 said:
mozgrame said:
niccipops said:
I hate soccer.

x 2. I do like how annoyed soccer players get when I call it soccer though.:p

Yer it's not soccer but they all cheer for the SoccerRoos!!! Um what the?

mozgrame said:
manlyfan76 said:
mozgrame said:
niccipops said:
I hate soccer.

x 2. I do like how annoyed soccer players get when I call it soccer though.:p

Yer it's not soccer but they all cheer for the SoccerRoos!!! Um what the?

Soccer fans are funny creatures. :rolleyes: lol

umm that's almost like saying Rugby League is really called "Kangaroos" because that's what the national team is called. Most people actually want the name of "Socceroos" to be gone but it's part of history, been there 40 years now. Soccer is one name of the sport, Socceroos is name of national team since 70s, football is real name of the sport most of us call it. No funny creatures at all

Frogz said:
Hey Gallop and Simon Hill have been flapping their gums all week about how football in Australia will soon be Number 1.....great start Goose, that is one of the lowest games I've watched...and what a cracker....9,000 maybe......and snoresville of a game...keep talking it up...it needs plenty

Over 20,000 actually and great atmosphere. Did you see the display at the start of the game from the Cove? May not have been the best game but it's not like every single NRL game is super awesome. Happens in all sports.
Really poor attempt to put the sport down

Ian Martin tragic said:
what's the FTA?
Would be interesting to see a top A league club play a championship side. Not sure the pace of the game and the defensive marking would stand up.

When Gold Coast were around they beat Fulham who were still in the English Premier League
Wellington beat Boca Juniors who are one of the best clubs in the world
Mariners Beat Celtic I think in 2011
Don't forget Melbourne only lost 2-0 to Liverpool and matched them in a lot of parts of the match (the All Stars match was during when the Socceroos had the best A-League players and the best foreigners also missing. Putting together a bunch of players in a week as well was always gonna be horrible against Man U rather than use an actual A-League team)

Some upsets in one off games but I think the quality is around mid table championship level.

The tifo (display) by the cove was awesome Friday night at Allianz! A full 3 bays behind the goal in the paddington end involved. I was there and loved it! Top night.

SydneyFCvNewcastle_R1_111013_Kristy_Beck_004.jpg

1380640_535904373156963_364014787_n.jpg

1379687_536993329714734_69379695_n.jpg

^ Yeah, the tifo was tops. Great to see the tifo crew stepping up the game again, credit to the club & The Cove. Hopefully the FFA allow the use of pullover banners again - one of my fondest sporting moments is the Valentines Day Massacre in 2009 at the SFS & the 'welcome to heaven' tifo is still the finest fan display done in Australia imo.

I watch quite a bit of champo these days (thanks Boro) & I'm not quite sure that HAL teams could compete with the bottom half teams there. I'd say that we're upper tier League 1 quality, but it's all much of a muchness at times. The great thing about the HAL is that it's constantly improving in quality. Not to say that it'll ever be an EPL/Bundesliga/Serie A quality league but it'd be nice to be the top league in Asia one day. Long way to go but the constant progression is encouraging.

Lol at all the people coming into the Football section of the forums just to post about how much they dislike it.

Guys, I have watched football since the sixties. I try to not miss a top 5 clash in the EPL bacause it is beautiful, not for the goals, but the quality of passing and working towards making an opening. Haven't missed an FA Cup in half a century. Then you have the superstars, like Henry (ok, I'm a Gunner's supporter and Van Persey is terrific but not even close), Gerrard, Shearer (retired) at his blunt strength best, Lampard, Torres at his best, then the magic of Messi who effortlessly creates something from nothing. I love the Champions League for that very reason. Does that happen in the A-League? Not on what I have seen. That's all. To say I don't understand great play is ridiculous. To say that our comp is remotely close to the beauty of overseas is nuts. We don't pay at that level and we don't get that level. Enjoy your enthusiasm but having been spoilt in what time I give to football we are a long way behind.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4