Interesting stuff from Graham Lowe

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

susan

Bencher
Don't normally listen to talkin sport but a netball carnival forced me to do so yesterday.Graham Lowe was on the show and categorically stated that he has stopped giving it to his Rugby mates and league is just as boring. Although not as boring as yawnion I must admit I am starting to agree with him. I was once an eight game a week man when I could - now I find I only tune in to a couple outside the Manly game.

What is good about Lowy is he not only whinges but has some upfront answers. Basically said that the interchange rule has destroyed forward play in a skills sense and the birth of the interchange fiasco we now have was the 10 metre rule which paved the way for the robots of today. Used the example of Hasler being regarded as a super coach two years ago because he had a forward passing to a forward, something he coaches under 9s to do each week.

The guy has coached all over the world and he said easily the best system he has coached under was Wigan with a two fresh reserves/4 interchanges policy. Created a game where footballers dominate and players of all sizes and stamina can compete with fatigue opening the game up late in each half. He also said only a lunatic would allow current coaches to define where the game is heading etc- they, understandably, have only one thing in mind- their job. They should be totally excluded and I agree with him.

He also said many coaches couldn't hold down a job that required innovation as opposed to simply copying something and trying to do it better.Made an interesting comment about the way the commentators fawn over Greg Inglis week in week out and how it is an indictment at the lack of pure football skill we see each week that many others are not lauded for similar exploits. They just bang on repeatedly about GI,Burgess,SBW and a couple of others.Barging is the new way, no skill required until field position is attained. Would Artie even get a game now?

All the above seems obvious to most yet we hear nothing from the gooses who run the game.They simply point to ratings as the be all and all. If that's the case I wont be watching any game other than Manly in 5 years time and most of my mates agree. The game has a repetitive sameness that unless addressed will drive many away.

It was astounding the reaction to his comments. Caller after caller said they had had enough and were handing in memberships etc. Small sample I know but I hang in league circles re our local club at Burleigh and almost to a man most blokes are in total agreement with where the game is heading.

It is now a structured, boring, not footballer based game that is saved only by tribalism and that is being eroded by the minute with rules like the one that allows DCE and Foran to play for a club while contracted the next year to another club.

Last edited:
I thought it was a top interview, his comments were just 100% spot on. I particularly loved the comment about the fawning over Greg Inglis and I was on the verge of ringing up Talkin Sport and saying how much I agreed. It really is pathetic the gushing that happens towards him. Great player sure, but they carry on like he is infallible.

Some of the other things he was saying about how De$ is seen as such an innovator, but all he did was get his forwards to pass a ball!

Yeah I heard that also. I guess the interchange reduction that is coming next year is at least 1 step in the right direction. It's the old saying, look at what we did 5-10 years ago and you'll see why we are where we are now. We need to make changes now - right down to the grass roots level, ensuring the fabric of the game is restored. We want to see the smaller, creative, zippier players come through and have a place in our game again.

Skill, creativity, plus a mix of endurance and power are all important elements that must be encouraged and well balanced - not a boring barge fest from forwards right through to wingers.

The writing is on the wall, crowds, memberships all on the decline, so if we have anyone in NRL headquarters with some brain cells still functioning, then we might actually start to get somewhere.

Yep. He said what many of us are feeling; the game has become boring and predictable. He echoed my thoughts on the much vaunted 'hit-ups'. In the past these were described as "dying with the ball". Coaches have a lot to answer for. Their team gets an attacking scrum and they have forwards in the backline. They encourage dummy half running, holding the ball for five tackles then kicking and hoping....
What he didn't mention was scheduling. If more matches were played when we wanted to watch them then crowds would improve.

Interesting that today it comes out that they are looking at a complete overhaul of the number of interchanges and maybe going back to the old sub rule etc

I don't watch as much as I used too, due to a number of factors

Just on Lowe, even though he copped an absolute pasting on here, was his tenure running the place the last time the club actually seemed to run in a manner where everyone was close to being on the same page ?

Yes Kiwi This little NRL release today is too much of a coincidence for mine, particularly after the media abuse Richardson has been copping re his new 'Strategy" role and the lambasting the NRL have copped from Hughes and his listeners. The usual reactionary response from the turd and co or maybe they are starting to listen to the fans. Lets hope its the latter.

And agree re Lowy.Agree or disagree with him he was a strong leader.I also find it amazing how many supporters from other clubs used to give it to Arko yet now their is a massive call to go back to the days of the Godfather and Qualey. Bring it on I say.Quayle is at Newcastle- get him to replace Smith ASAP.

I have never felt less like a league fan in all my almost 60 years ( and 55 of them either playing or supporting ) than I do right now .

I'm over almost everything in the game, I hate the rules, can't stand how it's reffed, despise the powers to be, disillusioned with where my own club is going, think the judiciary is a joke, hate how the media portray our club , am disgusted with the love affair that exists with a small number of players, pissed that a club like the Titans can have the NRL rescue them and pinch our best player, need I go on???

If those twats at NRL HQ don't start listening to the fans pretty soon there will be a mass exodus of said fans

Rant over!

Can they get rid of the f#$%ing decoy runners while they are at it ?? Another coaching "innovation" that has been done to death and has ruined good football. Nowadays it's all about getting as many numbers in front of the ball to confuse and disrupt the defence. Every team is so predictable now, just second man play after second man play until someone in the defensive line makes the inevitable mistake and goes in on a decoy and leaves a gap. Of course you then have the good old "dive" by the defender who made the mistake so we can send it upstairs to "check for possible obstruction"

Can they get rid of the f#$%ing decoy runners while they are at it ?? Another coaching "innovation" that has been done to death and has ruined good football. Nowadays it's all about getting as many numbers in front of the ball to confuse and disrupt the defence. Every team is so predictable now, just second man play after second man play until someone in the defensive line makes the inevitable mistake and goes in on a decoy and leaves a gap. Of course you then have the good old "dive" by the defender who made the mistake so we can send it upstairs to "check for possible obstruction"

Boring as bat ****!

Yep I dont watch as much as i used to, it just seems like run from dummy half, quick play the ball run from dummy half again then kick, gets very boring

I have never felt less like a league fan in all my almost 60 years ( and 55 of them either playing or supporting ) than I do right now .

I'm over almost everything in the game, I hate the rules, can't stand how it's reffed, despise the powers to be, disillusioned with where my own club is going, think the judiciary is a joke, hate how the media portray our club , am disgusted with the love affair that exists with a small number of players, pissed that a club like the Titans can have the NRL rescue them and pinch our best player, need I go on???

If those twats at NRL HQ don't start listening to the fans pretty soon there will be a mass exodus of said fans

Rant over!
Mark I could not agree with you more and well said. I find myself looking for other stuff to watch at the moment. I have always been an avid watcher of most to all games and of the Rugby League shows during the week....but not anymore

Last edited:
I would love the interchange to be cut back to 6 or 8 and only 2 fresh players on the bench. I think it would benefit the clubs greatly if under 20's were made to sit on the bench at the completion of their match and then they could be used in the interchange. So in actual fact you would have 2 fresh and unlimited under 20's but a total of 6-8 changes in total.

1) Hit up, 1 pass from dummy half
2) Hit up, 1 pass from dummy half
3) Dummy half shift to half or 5/8 who offloads well before advantage line to a 2nd rower for another hit up.
4) The "block " play with 2 decoys and the fullback chiming in - etc etc etc - you know the one
5) Hit up to re position for the kick
6) Last tackle - Half back kicks it diagonally to a flying centre/ winger, opposition forms human wall in front of kick chaser. to block him.

Replay and repeat over and over and over.

Groundhog day starts all over again.

And if anybody shows any aggression in the tackle ( penalise him ) - if anybody looks slightly hurt ( send him off to the head bin ) - if anybody shows any deviation form the set plan of the coach ( replace him ) - if anybody throws a punch ( cue hysteria ) - if it looks like there's a 1% chance it isn't a try ( stop the game for 5 minutes and watch 14 replays ).

Just try your best not to fall asleep footy fans.

I don't watch any games except Manly games now. No tipping comps, no fantasy league, no gambling, no footy shows, no foxtel....nothing. If Manly are on foxtel I just go down to the local club. It's been great.

I would love the interchange to be cut back to 6 or 8 and only 2 fresh players on the bench. I think it would benefit the clubs greatly if under 20's were made to sit on the bench at the completion of their match and then they could be used in the interchange. So in actual fact you would have 2 fresh and unlimited under 20's but a total of 6-8 changes in total.

The thing is with clubs being professional these days any reserves who play in lower grades are likely to just sit on the bench for 79 minutes.

Even if you put in a mandatory game time of say 30 minutes they would be told to stay out of play as much as possible.

Otherwise I agree with the idea

1) Hit up, 1 pass from dummy half
2) Hit up, 1 pass from dummy half
3) Dummy half shift to half or 5/8 who offloads well before advantage line to a 2nd rower for another hit up.
4) The "block " play with 2 decoys and the fullback chiming in - etc etc etc - you know the one
5) Hit up to re position for the kick
6) Last tackle - Half back kicks it diagonally to a flying centre/ winger, opposition forms human wall in front of kick chaser. to block him.

Replay and repeat over and over and over.

Groundhog day starts all over again.

And if anybody shows any aggression in the tackle ( penalise him ) - if anybody looks slightly hurt ( send him off to the head bin ) - if anybody shows any deviation form the set plan of the coach ( replace him ) - if anybody throws a punch ( cue hysteria ) - if it looks like there's a 1% chance it isn't a try ( stop the game for 5 minutes and watch 14 replays ).

Just try your best not to fall asleep footy fans.
If you slightly vary one aspect of the prescribed set of 6, you are an "innovator"

Maybe y'all can stop watching and leave it to the true supporters

This whine is more overdone than the block play dive obstruction play

Y'all should get some cheese to go with your whine

It's more overcooked than a baby 20 weeks past due date, all the taxi driver did was recycle the same cry of the unwashed masses

Yep boring bash it up and get replaced forward plays, sht refs, sht admin, moron judiciary, scumbag running the rules, NRL poaching players for bankrupt club and our own club self destructing. Rugby league has never shone brighter......@:(:confused::eek:o_O

http://rugbyleagueweek.com.au/nrl-announce-review-interchange-rule/

An article from RLW reflecting this topic.

Whilst a reduced number of interchange would skew the bench from forwards to backs for the purpose of skill, my only concern would be the fatigue factor and its impact on the health of the forwards taking the field whereupon they may be forced to play for periods longer than 20 min they are accustomed to. Admittedly there are a number of forwards who could sustain longer playing time
but one needs to remember its the forwards who provide much of the go forward and make the most tackles. Having to endure more off this could reduce their overall playing careers. Bear in mind they will still need to abide by the 10 m rule and six tackles per set.

Don't get me wrong I'm all for a more open game but the above should also be considered.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
7 4 3 -8 8