Interesting stuff from Graham Lowe

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Gee, imagine that - expecting forwards to play for 80 minutes.

Never happened in my day.....Lol!!

No doubt the forwards of today are more skilful, but my goodness they don't last very long before they need a break.

You have to have some replacements ( for injuries ) but I'm all for a lot less interchange.

Will open up the game to the little quick men again ( who now just get bashed and barged).

http://rugbyleagueweek.com.au/nrl-announce-review-interchange-rule/

An article from RLW reflecting this topic.

Whilst a reduced number of interchange would skew the bench from forwards to backs for the purpose of skill, my only concern would be the fatigue factor and its impact on the health of the forwards taking the field whereupon they may be forced to play for periods longer than 20 min they are accustomed to. Admittedly there are a number of forwards who could sustain longer playing time
but one needs to remember its the forwards who provide much of the go forward and make the most tackles. Having to endure more off this could reduce their overall playing careers. Bear in mind they will still need to abide by the 10 m rule and six tackles per set.

Don't get me wrong I'm all for a more open game but the above should also be considered.

I think the main idea is that the forwards will be so tired that they won't be running at the same level of intensity/leg drive etc and so it won't really expose them to any injury concerns.

Besides,these blokes get paid hundreds of thousands of dollars a year to run a round a field once a week 26 times a year (not including finals and rep footy), is it really too much to ask them to play for 80 mins rather than 60

I think the main idea is that the forwards will be so tired that they won't be running at the same level of intensity/leg drive etc and so it won't really expose them to any injury concerns.

Besides,these blokes get paid hundreds of thousands of dollars a year to run a round a field once a week 26 times a year (not including finals and rep footy), is it really too much to ask them to play for 80 mins rather than 60

Lets not forget they put their bodies under immense strain with all the heavy hitting not to mention being hit by up to three sometimes four players.

I would love a more open game and I know with enhancements in sport sciences clubs are finding ways to have that winning edge. They would more than likely do the same should the NRL look to reduce the number of interchanges in a game whereby the fatigue factor will be trained out.

Could this be a knee jerk reaction by the NRL to counter the number of player concussions of late because of all the hard hits?

Just putting it out there for constructive discussion.

Any mention of scrums?

Time to rename the role of hooker. I remember krilich was a good one cause won the scrums. I would to see some surprises.

The knock I hear about reducing the interchange is player health. I completely disagree with this premise. Forwards are so massive and athletic now the impacts have gone through the roof. The fresher the player, the bigger the impact.This has an effect on player health. A quick research on CTE will show this. The NFL has gone down the path of massive and athletic players who can be rotated as they please. I pray we don't go down this path.

I suggest increase the bench to 6 men but once your subbed off, your off. This would give the ability to carry 4-5 forwards and 1-2 backs / utility players. Max interchange is 4-6.

Thoughts?

I have never felt less like a league fan in all my almost 60 years ( and 55 of them either playing or supporting ) than I do right now .

I'm over almost everything in the game, I hate the rules, can't stand how it's reffed, despise the powers to be, disillusioned with where my own club is going, think the judiciary is a joke, hate how the media portray our club , am disgusted with the love affair that exists with a small number of players, pissed that a club like the Titans can have the NRL rescue them and pinch our best player, need I go on???

If those twats at NRL HQ don't start listening to the fans pretty soon there will be a mass exodus of said fans

Rant over!
You have written exactly what I was thinking Mark.

Is that our issue, we are a little older than many on here and remember the game as it used to be and crave for those days again ??

It's funny, I love cricket and love how the players of today play the game and the changes they have made have been fantastic !!

Why can't league do the same?

Is that our issue, we are a little older than many on here and remember the game as it used to be and crave for those days again ??

It's funny, I love cricket and love how the players of today play the game and the changes they have made have been fantastic !!

I was born in 87 and I feel the same way. I grew up watching Friday Night Footy as the norm. I would also watch several games each week. I now only watch Manly games and am becoming increasingly disillusioned with the game. This has essentially been since De$ left and increased with the ever increasing bias towards the select few clubs. I predict in 5 years we will be like the Superleague where 4 teams fight it out each year and the rest make up the numbers.

Mate I'm half your age and I totally agree with you.

The game in general is going to ****.

I have never felt less like a league fan in all my almost 60 years ( and 55 of them either playing or supporting ) than I do right now .

I'm over almost everything in the game, I hate the rules, can't stand how it's reffed, despise the powers to be, disillusioned with where my own club is going, think the judiciary is a joke, hate how the media portray our club , am disgusted with the love affair that exists with a small number of players, pissed that a club like the Titans can have the NRL rescue them and pinch our best player, need I go on???

If those twats at NRL HQ don't start listening to the fans pretty soon there will be a mass exodus of said fans

Rant over!

League was the perfect balance of aggression and artistry - nothing needed to change.:clap:

I have the luxury of watching it since 1976, but it is now a sanitized game of behemoths trampling over the ball players. :eek:
Referee involvement is at a ridiculous level. Case in point th 8 Walk Off The Mark dance that Ceccin put on Friday.:mad:

Cricket was a boring upper class pastime that Packer innovated and it is now a competitive, aggressive sport.@:cool:

mark I support everything you have stated.I have lambasted others on here re once manly always manly,I have followed or have been part of the player group since 1954. I was the doctors assistant from 1967 till 1973 and went to all games including second & third grades, and have been forever true but the way this once great game is going ( backwards at a fast pace) I am as disallusioned as you are, and now only tape the game where as before this year I would watch every game, now I don't care what the league does, the more they try the more they stuffup Mr smith and his cohorts need to listen to the people who support this game and get back to the roots of the game 4 reserves and 4 interchanges, no more than two in a tackle, get rid of video ref let the ref one only not two make the decision, its a try or no try no bull**** and he can be miked up and tell the crowd why he made the decision I could rant forever on this subject but I get high blood pressure when I get agitated on this subject.
but I will always be manly forever no matter what,

Remember the late 90s when Manly would have an attacking scrum 20m out and the back line would be spread back as far as the half way line! Even when scrums were fed on your own 20m line, you would attack and you would see a lot more long range tries.

Everything is over analysed now, the refereeing is poor, the games feel more mundane, due to the amount of wrestle. It's all about field position and waiting for the opposition to make an error. But you still have to marvel of some of today's athletes. Sometimes I think it's a slower game, but to put it into perspective the players are so much bigger, faster, stronger. It's definitely a more physical game and played at a higher intensity that 10-15 years ago. Look at that semi final against the roosters in 2013. I do miss how the game was, a lot more ball movement and less technical, but also have some great memories of the past 8-10 years, such a skilful side. One thing I would love is to have most of the games played during the day. Bring back Saturday afternoon footy and more sunday games. At least play the GF in the afternoon. Channel 7 have the AFL played in the afternoon, surely channel 9 can get that right!

Some short videos for comparison between the years.

So why is it that we, everyday fans, can see this and those dumb bastards at NRL HQ have their blinkers on and can't see a thing?

Changing the rule from 5 m to 10 m was the biggest ever mistake. The flow on changed the game forever.

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe
Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8
6 3 2 21 7