Is DCE the player most at risk?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Woodsie

Feast yer eyes ..
Tipping Member
Let me say at the outset that I'm a fan, and that he is worth his paycheck....

But, Dare I say it... yep ... the immergence of future talent in the shape of weekes, Koula, Chumcanpass, Veaga, topuloopa, Humphries, jnr fainu, Feledy etc ... has all but guaranteed the end of DCE at Manly ..

With other clubs taking an interest in these kids their value will increase and the chances of retaining any 2 let alone 3 or 4 of them will be nigh impossible with paying $1.3 million to Cherry .

Hard decisions will have to be made... we live in interesting times.

Let me say at the outset that I'm a fan, and that he is worth his paycheck....

But, Dare I say it... yep ... the immergence of future talent in the shape of weekes, Koula, Chumcanpass, Veaga, topuloopa, Humphries, jnr fainu, Feledy etc ... has all but guaranteed the end of DCE at Manly ..

With other clubs taking an interest in these kids their value will increase and the chances of retaining any 2 let alone 3 or 4 of them will be nigh impossible with paying $1.3 million to Cherry .

Hard decisions will have to be made... we live in interesting times.
Yeah tricky one Woodsie. Love DCE and hope he extends however at a reduced contract with the view to go into coaching. Nonetheless it will be difficult to keep them all 🤦‍♂️

His next deal has to include a Souths style coaching component to lock these kids in. Also I am guessing it has something to do with Dessie’s glacial speed of promotion to top grade for young talent to manage the cap. Remember DCE exploded onto the scene in his first year at 22 (?) and value went straight up after getting rep honours and premiership.

His next deal has to include a Souths style coaching component to lock these kids in. Also I am guessing it has something to do with Dessie’s glacial speed of promotion to top grade for young talent to manage the cap. Remember DCE exploded onto the scene in his first year at 22 (?) and value went straight up after getting rep honours and premiership.
Yeah but .
These young kids values will go up based on what other clubs will pay them .. not on what Des does or wants to pay them

We have to be realistic, we won't be able to keep them all. You only have to look at the panthers. We will need to identify which positions are most needed and keep the players for those positions but it has to be done 2-3 years in advance, not being reactive. Shame but such is life in a cap controlled sport. Cough* roosters*cough

Look Dce will here as long as he wants I get there talent there, as we done in past we prioritise the good ones.
Scotty Fulton done an amazing job with these kids, Koula and young Latu Fainu are no brainers to start with

I don’t think Des or DCE are losing any sleep
Some of these kids will succeed
Some won’t
Some remarkable potential
But DCE a 10 year success story who has probably missed only a dozen games through injury in his career and won us a dozen on his own
These kids have played 40 minutes of 1st grade and not sure if any will equal the longevity and value if DCE

Bbloody hope they do but old dogs for hard roads

Gee, identifying superstars based on 40 minutes of trial football against a basket case club. Hope you don't mind.I'm sticking with DCE thanks.

DCE is contracted until the end of 2023... I don't think anyone here is suggesting that any of last night's rookies are taking his spot before then.

I think the point is, at some point before his contract expires, the club will have to weigh up the merits of extending DCE, versus signing a younger player to do the job.

For the club's sake I hope they make that decision next year and are not pressured into making that sooner...

The talent we saw in the halves was exciting, but very raw and not against a 1st grade side. DCE went pretty good with who he was up against..Lets wait till his contract runs out and then decide which way we want to go..

the biggest issue is generational teams that start young. We have a lot of relatively young players who have huge upside to come. we cant keep them all so at some point some cream will move to other clubs.

Dce still has a few years left in him yet. Not many 18 - 19yos make FG so some of these kids are still a way off any NRL side.

I don’t think Des or DCE are losing any sleep
Some of these kids will succeed
Some won’t
Some remarkable potential
But DCE a 10 year success story who has probably missed only a dozen games through injury in his career and won us a dozen on his own
These kids have played 40 minutes of 1st grade and not sure if any will equal the longevity and value if DCE

Bbloody hope they do but old dogs for hard roads
I agree, hardly injured (touch wood) Buddy Franklin was my big worry but he got through and wonderful signing for us over 10 years.

Gee, identifying superstars based on 40 minutes of trial football against a basket case club. Hope you don't mind.I'm sticking with DCE thanks.
Mate, 12yo's are signed at junior rep carnivals, and we have just signed a 16yo fainu to a million dollar multi year deal .. if you think clubs are waiting for 10 nrl games to make up there minds your dreaming ..

I would say that Weekes, Humphries showed enough to get several clubs very keen, .. I would say veaga went from a 30k reggie to a 150k reggie overnight. Koula, tuitevaki chumcanpass would all have raised their profiles ..

How does our retention and recruitment work? How much of the say is Dessie/Fulton/Humphries? Anyone know?

Dont see DCE at risk at all.

He'll extend a year or two imo on about 800k.

Taupau will free funds first. Foran likely wont be around forever.

Then players like Parker, Harper, Croker, Aloiai even Garrick and Saab if then get good offers elsewhere they we wont pay those extra dollars to keep them.

Basically a strong production line means we can be like the Storm where it is next man up.

Harper killing it and Tigers offer him 550k.....thanks Morgan but in comes Feledy.

Marty time to part on on 800k...okay, time for Tuitavake to step up.

Disaster time.....Roosters throw 1.2 mil at Schuster in 3 years.....devastating, okay in comes Latu Fainu

Last edited:
Even if we moved on DCE and Foz, a hard decision will have to be made. Humphreys, Latu and Weekes will all be vying for 6/7 (1.Turbo, 11/12.Schuster and 3/4.Koula). Personally I think we hold onto DCE (hopefully on a reduced contract) until Latu is well and truly ready for first grade. Weekes will probably be the odd man out unles he is happy to become a 14/utility.

I think another two seasons, which would include State and Australian duties, would see DCE through as far as a must-pick halfback for Manly. He has been amazing, but changes must happen eventually. I'm sure a battling club like the Tugers would pay 'overs' for him in 2024/2025 but there must be a transition path for our next halfback or else we'll not have a ready-made halfback to fill his shoes come 2024.
When his on-field days end I'd like to keep DCE involved at the club because he would seem to have all the footballing nous to be a successful coach. Likewise, he'd be wonderful in the media and probably well-suited to a role in NRL administration. I wouldn't want him to hold the club to ransom like Smith did for the Storm and play on too long.

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8