Is it a 2, 3 or 5 year plan??

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though

Dinga

Reserve Grader
In 2019 under DES we should see a huge improvement in defence as a minimum which will see us finish between 6 -10th imo.

I see us being real contender in 2020 once we can use the full cap and get rid of at least 5-6 dead wood players.

lurker

Beaver lover
Well, 3 years ago I thought Bob Fulton had a 5 year plan for our Eagles but Twenty and Cartwrong sure put us back to square one ( well not quite I guess).

Des Hasler ( funny the first time I haven’t typed De$ for 7 years) has the nucleus of a great side but let’s be serious there’s also a fair bit of dead wood.

Constrained by the Salary Cap fine Des will have to “ make do” for 2019 or discard a high profile player to gain any other player “ of note”, I think it’s unlikely now that we will lose anyone decent so we are stuck with what we have plus or minus maybe a few from last years Reggie’s ( Amone springs to mind as warranting an upgrade).

So as the heading asks is it a 2,3 or 5 year plan ???

I’d like to think that even with the current player group we’ll finish higher in 2019, maybe even close to the 8.

There will then be a cleansing of “ the wood” and some decent acquisitions at the end of 2019 with a decent shot at top 8 in 2020.

This could then lead to a real go at top 4 in 2021.

Any earlier would be a huge bonus but any later would see the Hasler move as unsuccessful ( in my opinion).

So what do you reckon Silvertailers, 2,3, 5 or another number ( and don’t be silly in saying we’ll make it in 2019, this will take some time).
I think we can push top 4 next year. The year before last we went near top 4 with the same squad plus Blake green. Depends a bit on elgey but I see us as 4-6 next year

D

Deleted member 26876

Watmough on podcast said it was the Stewart Bros who created the plays at Manly. This might be why he didn't have anything new at the dogs.
He did between 2012 and a little into 2015, just when sides found out his tactic of size they were ****ed and it was hard to reverse, and hard for him to tell whether it was just a form drop, meaning he stuck with that side for longer than he should have.

They missed Ennis and Barba, and later Trent Hodkinson, who was still in form until this point where Hodko then had started to have nothing solid around him to work with

SeaEagleRock8

Sea Eagle Lach
Premium Member
Tipping Member
I suspect Des is working on a 6 week plan. We have a decent draw but it’s a tough start to the season with several games away. He will be focussing on stealing a couple of wins early so we don’t fall behind the 8 ball.

davohan123

First Grader
Premium Member
Tipping Member
The question also needs to be asked
I am like everyone on here excited to see the coaching change and Des being our coach for the next 3 years.
But what happens if things don’t get considerably better?
What happens if Des 2.0 is not the right fit and we don’t reach the highs we all expect with this playing group? At what point does 2V’s come back into the fold.
I want success for this club and I hope Des brings it but we still have to remember that we are very thin in depth and say 3 long term injuries to either Walker, DCE Tom and Jake or Marty at any time next year in 2019 you can kiss next season gone as well.
To answer the thread question I see 2021-2025 as our next premiership window and anything earlier than that a bonus.

madmax

Bencher
We were top 8 in 2017 (finished 6th) & we were in a battle for the top 4 for a while with a similar team to now. Our record was 7 & 7....if we can increase our home record by just a few games we are Top 4!!! Our defense was again an issue during 2017. This will improve under Des 100% This year we had the salary cap debacle, Hastings & Gladstonegate, injuries to key players, to a lesser extent the match fixing investigation & as always the usual drama in the back office. All these things are now behind us except we are $330,000 behind the 8 ball for 2019. Even so we have not lost any big names apart from Lane whom i wish we held on to & have released a number of players. We have recruited Elgey who I believe will show his worth alongside DCE, Waddell who will be pushing for at least a bench spot, Garrick who will take one wing spot, Keppie who might surprise along with Elliott & the inclusion of some youngsters in Amone, Funa etc. I think we are in a better position for 2019. Maybe recruit some middle of the range players & with Desmond & Donny back we will definitely finish TOP 6 at least! The team has lots of points in it & with some defense training we will kick a$$......bugger this 2,3,4,5 year planning. The time is NOW!! Good times ahead & I cannot wait!!!
Players gone: T Wright, J Wright, M Wright, L Brown, J Hastings, S Lane, A Uate, D Lussick, J Lussick, C Cullen
Players Signed (so far): LG, C Waddell, S Keppie, R Garrick, B Elliott (plus whoever else we surprisingly sign)

Team 2019
1. Tom T
2. T Funa / J Anderson
3. D Walker
4. B Kelly
5. R Garrick / B Elliott / J Taufua
6. LG
7. DCE
8. M Taupau
9. A Koroisau
10. AFB
11. J Thompson
12. C Sironen
13. Jake T

RES: 14. Hodkinson, 15. T Paseka, 16. K Tanginoa, 17. C Waddell
RES/RES: T Sipley, T Amone, J Gosiewski, S Keppie, L Perrett, F Winterstein

Last edited:

Fluffy

Journey Man
Well, 3 years ago I thought Bob Fulton had a 5 year plan for our Eagles but Twenty and Cartwrong sure put us back to square one ( well not quite I guess).

Des Hasler ( funny the first time I haven’t typed De$ for 7 years) has the nucleus of a great side but let’s be serious there’s also a fair bit of dead wood.

Constrained by the Salary Cap fine Des will have to “ make do” for 2019 or discard a high profile player to gain any other player “ of note”, I think it’s unlikely now that we will lose anyone decent so we are stuck with what we have plus or minus maybe a few from last years Reggie’s ( Amone springs to mind as warranting an upgrade).

So as the heading asks is it a 2,3 or 5 year plan ???

I’d like to think that even with the current player group we’ll finish higher in 2019, maybe even close to the 8.

There will then be a cleansing of “ the wood” and some decent acquisitions at the end of 2019 with a decent shot at top 8 in 2020.

This could then lead to a real go at top 4 in 2021.

Any earlier would be a huge bonus but any later would see the Hasler move as unsuccessful ( in my opinion).

So what do you reckon Silvertailers, 2,3, 5 or another number ( and don’t be silly in saying we’ll make it in 2019, this will take some time).

If useless Trent had us 6th in 17 whilst paying for Myles to holiday after paying for Stewart and Matai to holiday the year before then top 4 this year is a pass and max 3 years for Des. Tooves got punted after being hamstrung by Dessies backended contracts as well remember

OneEyedEagle

Bencher
We are due one every decade!!

If I remember reading correctly when Des first started as our coach after the Northern Eagles they said it was a 5 year plan and they achieved it much sooner, i.e. in 3 years and actually it should have been in 2 years if it wasn't for them cheating brown paper bag scum.

I think Des desire will be strong in showing that he can coach and win another premiership with the Sea Eagles.

It sure has made rugby league exciting again.

maxta

First Grader
Premium Member
I have thought about this for a little while since the announcement of Des but have not posted as yet. This is as good a thread as any. Someone else posted a similar thought process @Briza I think? Apologies if not you @Briza
I am unexpectedly excited but at the same time cautious about the Des announcement. I recall being absolutely over the moon at the demise of the Dogs and consequently Des, during his tenure at Canterbury. Like many, the Dogs immediately became my most hated team when he left us for them and I took great delight when they got beat.
What concerns me is that Des' ways of sweeping plays and forwards playing as halves fast became outdated and he did not have a plan B.
Why will this be any different back at Manly? Yes I know he knows the culture and is a Manly man but that does not mean that the rest of the pack has not "cotton on" to his plays.
I never thought that I would say this ever again, but I hope Des succeeds because of course this means Manly are doing well.
I think anything less than a finals appearance next year will be viewed as a failure and must be a genuine top 4 'contender' by 2020.
There are some solid facts here mate and personally felt basically the same as you in relation to the Des saga....and the death rode the Dogs also.
In saying this - keep in mind his game plans initially worked well and the Dogs made 2 GF appearances in his first 3 seasons....
I feel the impact he had initially created had the Dogs super motivated early on and this certainly slipped over time after the 2nd GF loss.
The team looked a little stale by the 4th season and so did he - only going South with attitude from there and almost disconnected that end stage of his Dogs career.
Agreed the attacking structures were predictable around that ruck in particular and often the halves were not in control, which generally leads to a team lost.
The biggest problem was the enthusiasm looked way down to the earlier stages when Des initially took the reins and this was obvious prior to his sacking.
Key players at the Dogs did suggest Des had very high expectations that were often not met by the players....this was a big part of the disconnection in those latter stages.
I feel very confident that provided Manly maintain the current squad, Des will formulate solid structures and mentality to make it a very competitive team.....a little bit of renewed confidence is all that's needed to be a finals contender again.

Class of 96

Bencher
1 year. He has had 8 years here already ;)

The close tilt at top 4 in ‘17 gives me optimism we can go hard in ‘19, with the Turbo’s having a ton more experience under their belt.

HoldenV8

Journey Man
Even with the dead wood, the top 17 in this squad are top 8 quality.

We have current internationals in DCE, Tom and Jake, Kapow and AFB. We have other internationals in Api, Walks and Jorge (technically, since Samoa haven't played a test since mid year that actually makes Jorge a current international). Plus we have other quality in Kelly, Thompson, Hodkinson and hopefully Sironen (if he can stay injury free) and LG.

The trick will be keeping them on the park, something I think Donny Singe will be a lot better at than that fraud Ferris ever was.

redlineg

Reserve Grader
Even with the dead wood, the top 17 in this squad are top 8 quality.

We have current internationals in DCE, Tom and Jake, Kapow and AFB. We have other internationals in Api, Walks and Jorge (technically, since Samoa haven't played a test since mid year that actually makes Jorge a current international). Plus we have other quality in Kelly, Thompson, Hodkinson and hopefully Sironen (if he can stay injury free) and LG.

The trick will be keeping them on the park, something I think Donny Singe will be a lot better at than that fraud Ferris ever was.
Agree 100%
If the football gods are good to us (another reference to religion!), we will have no severe injuries, no suspensions, keep the best of what we got on the paddock with Des fine tuning their play and defence and Donny keeping them fit.
Add the siege mentality and Top 8 is achievable IMO

Johnno74

Reserve Grader
Put a poll lol pole up mark is he the paddle pop lion @:DIm just looking for an improvement. It will take time to turn bad habits into good ones and to sculpt our team into a winning one.But so far positives as far as positive news around the club, memberships and sponsorships are up ☺.But mostly i just want our bloody team to toughen up and defend and show pride in the jumper not roll over.

ManEagle

Just a Man and his Eagle
Like many I think we will go close to a top 8 finish next year provided our key players stay healthy for the most part. From there anything is possible. I think we have the players, we just need the attitude and for the team to be a team, defense is attitude and pack mentality as soon as Des and the guys instill that, and we know he will, we will be 100% better side capable of anything.
2020 a full tilt at top 4 and the trophy.
Another part of me thinks that Des knows the team we have, and knows he can get immediate success and why he was so happy to take the reigns. Early success is our best chance, fk this 5 year ****.

HoldenV8

Journey Man
Like many I think we will go close to a top 8 finish next year provided our key players stay healthy for the most part. From there anything is possible. I think we have the players, we just need the attitude and for the team to be a team, defense is attitude and pack mentality as soon as Des and the guys instill that, and we know he will, we will be 100% better side capable of anything.
2020 a full tilt at top 4 and the trophy.
Another part of me thinks that Des knows the team we have, and knows he can get immediate success and why he was so happy to take the reigns. Early success is our best chance, fk this 5 year ****.

Sorry mate, but stuff the "go close to a top 8 finish next year" thing. Provided the majority of the first choice players stay healthy, and if we can adequately cover the likes of DCE, the Turbos and possibly Walks come Origin time, there is no reason why we can't be firmly inside the top 8. We have the players and now the coach to do it.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
10 9 1 124 20
11 8 3 75 18
10 7 3 70 16
10 7 3 69 16
11 7 4 59 14
11 6 5 -9 14
10 6 4 -10 14
12 6 5 36 13
11 6 5 107 12