Is it time to move on from Turbo?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details

Should Manly keep Turbo?

• Yes

Votes: 26 38.8%
  • Unsure

Votes: 12 17.9%
  • No

Votes: 29 43.3%

• Total voters
Tom is still the best full back in the game and the only one that hits the ball up like a forward .We need to find our best combination up front and allow Tom to play as a fullback which he did in 2021
His injuries and defense has been affected by him hitting it up then try and get back to position .
After watching the last 2 games ,we need to try anyone from our cup team that can play in the centers until Koula gets better . Experiment with Bullemor and Keppie in the starting side for Tuilagi and Aloiai to the cup team ,promote Fainu and Sipley or Woods to the bench .We have the players but just need to find the correct combination so Tom can play his normal game .

I do love Tommy as a player when full fit he is our gun.

Right now he lacks confidence and is uncertain about his health as a back spasm is very much related to hamstring and other leg injuries.

What I believe needs to be one is a frank conversation between Tommy and the coaching team about how he can benefit the team the most?

On his day he is destructive and the demands of fullback play are making it harder for him to be there long term.

I think at Penrith we saw an example where a new coach did not want to upset the apple cart and allowed Tom to play when he was clearly incapacitated. A strong coach would have withdrawn him full stop.

From the first set we were cooked. The body language of our players new the writing was on the wall, Our 1 and also our 9 were clearly hampered by injuries and Penrith were fresh as daisies and cut us to ribbons!!

The time for the conversation about how to use Tommy has come. Our centres are not up to first grade standard and we need someone who can penetrate and also create. I would seriously consider playing him there, put Weekes or young Jake Toby at full back and believe that would help the team.

Tom is always a threat when an attacking kick is put up and I see him causing lots of trouble for opposition teams defending our attacking kicks.

What we saw at Penrith must not be repeated. If he is injured do NOT play him!!
Eerily similar to the game against Brisbane last year. Let’s hope history doesn’t repeat itself in the subsequent game, like it did last year vs Parramatta.

You have to worry though when he is encumbered by back spasms. Next stop, hamstrings.

Eerily similar to the game against Brisbane last year. Let’s hope history doesn’t repeat itself in the subsequent game, like it did last year vs Parramatta.

You have to worry though when he is encumbered by back spasms. Next stop, hamstrings.
Yeah, it’s not a good sign. Those lower back spasms are a sign of over-compensation in his alignment. The change of running form will take some time for previously under-used muscles to strengthen and balance appear for him. He seems a long way from that though based on watching him move this season. Hopefully the re-adjustment works itself out before it becomes too costly and brings about another injury.

It’s a real quandary at present , fit he’s a true superstar , unfit he’s just a liability.

And apart from a magical run in 2021 he’s been more liability than asset.

And a one million dollar a year one at that.

As Manly supporters we can only hope that old Tommy is just around the corner, but it's hard to watch Tommy today compared to the 2021 model. It's like we've gone from a Turbo charged engine to a.....reconditioned 4 cylinder at best.

As Manly supporters we can only hope that old Tommy is just around the corner, but it's hard to watch Tommy today compared to the 2021 model. It's like we've gone from a Turbo charged engine to a.....reconditioned 4 cylinder at best.

Your first seven words sum up our last decade! 😔

Tom is still quite young. At that age bodies repair themselves more easily. He's going through a bad patch at present. Only he can say if he needs to give the game away. Its quite possible that in a year we will be wondering what all this concern was about.

faaark no, just share the load way more

croker, johns, weekes, schuster, dce , tom have managed the spine minutes
only schuster and tom have tested the line apart from some cameo weeks at 14

our attack is all about tom when no schuster available, no variation so far on that
tom is struggling and busting a nut for all to see and needs some mates, let him learn to stride out in support maybe
he looks like he has the weight of the world on his shoulders and our 7 just keeps handing off to tommy trabatteredvic until he is done and then well so are we

our on field attack has put sooo much more added focus on Tom and highlighted how tentative he is by running everyting through him and not using his as a secondry attack mechanism

on ya own Tommy is whats wrong with our team. that in 100 other variations. people are comfortable sitting back and letting him go gangbusters

DCE has to stand up and be a team player, and run with the ball, offer alternatives and take some heat off tom. the fact he still isnt under the current predicament with shuster out and tom hobbling like captain feathersword is unbelievable

ahhh well at least we are getting our money out of tommy, Now he is playing every game,

he is probably just overplaying his hand since he is the only one doing anything and has all the pressure on him. he needs back up. now where have i heard that tune

nah james this coach, like des and barret would have given cherry strict instructions not to run the ball for the sake of the team, silly me, game plans

Everyone is patient and supportive however as a coach it must be so nerve wracking. He is so unreliable over a five year period in terms of picking him. It probably cost Des his job. In his four years except for 2021 he rarely played and he is our best and most expensive player.

our attack is all about tom when no schuster available,
DCE has the same number of try assists as Tom this year.
Schu has three in only 2 games.
The "only 2 games" says more about our problems imo. He's a gun who can't get on the field, I'm starting to recall that his 2022 season went down the gurgler in a similar way. Get well quick Schu.

I get it - you can look at the reliable Edwards types and the value is chalk and cheese.
In saying that, I am a Massive Tom fan and rate his ceiling the best in the game.
Frustrating as it is, I would never want to see Tom or Jake play for another team, but this is a heart call, as many have rightly said, up to this point it's not worked out great for us bar a patch in 2021.
It's a risk no doubt, but I say Keep Tom and "hope" he gets an injury free run as could be an "all time great" if he does stay on the field.
He loves Manly and is committed to getting it right, so I'm staying loyal with the belief Tom will repay the value Manly rate him at.

Saw shades of Tommy 2021 in the Bulldogs game, since then he's shelved the power runs. But close to the opponents try line he's still deadly dangerous weather being the extra 5/8 to draw and pass for the winger to score or go himself as a close to the line reach or crash over option. Tommy's still the man.

Yeah, it’s not a good sign. Those lower back spasms are a sign of over-compensation in his alignment. The change of running form will take some time for previously under-used muscles to strengthen and balance appear for him. He seems a long way from that though based on watching him move this season. Hopefully the re-adjustment works itself out before it becomes too costly and brings about another injury.
Was kind of hoping Tommy just needed to poo the last few games.
But you are correct in assuming he has probably changed his running form.
Damn..
Mr Hankey Christmas GIF by South Park

I have to say, I completely disagree with the notion that Manly should release Turbo. To suggest that a player of his caliber should be let go due to a couple of games below his extremely high standards is just ludicrous.

Yes, he’s has had some injury struggles in the past, but that's hardly a reason to give up on the bloke. He's proven time and time again that he's one of the best players in the league when he's fit and firing, and I have no doubt that he'll bounce back.

And as for him being overpaid - well, that's just a matter of opinion. Yes, he's earning a decent salary, but he's also a player who brings a lot of value to the team. He's an incredibly talented fullback with a great skill set, and he's a key part of Manly's success. I challenge anyone to propose where that money could be spent with greater impact on performance.

Last edited:
I have to say, I completely disagree with the notion that Manly should release Turbo. To suggest that a player of his caliber should be let go due to a couple of games below his extremely high standards is just ludicrous.

Yes, he’s has had some injury struggles in the past, but that's hardly a reason to give up on the bloke. He's proven time and time again that he's one of the best players in the league when he's fit and firing, and I have no doubt that he'll bounce back.

And as for him being overpaid - well, that's just a matter of opinion. Yes, he's earning a decent salary, but he's also a player who brings a lot of value to the team. He's an incredibly talented fullback with a great skill set, and he's a key part of Manly's success. I challenge anyone to propose where that money could be spent with more impact on performance.
I just think that its a bit unfair on Tommy for fans to expect him to be coming out of the blocks at 100 percent after years of injury. He's had a few season ending injuries, so I wouldn't expect him to be coming back as the player he once was. A lot of NRL players with promise have had their careers cut short by even one injury. It would be great if he did come back like he did.
As for moving him on, I only suggested that because I think maybe someone like Wayne Bennett might be able to manage and protect him better to prolong his career.

I love Tommy but hate every second that I watch him at the moment. Makes me feel very uncomfortable

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
8 7 1 109 16
9 7 2 72 16
8 7 1 56 16
9 6 3 57 14
10 6 4 58 12
9 5 4 -14 12
10 5 4 31 11
9 5 4 95 10
9 4 5 19 10
9 4 5 -16 8