Is Jaxson Paulo a starter

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Just an opinion, but not a player I was too excited about joining Manly and seen only as a backup winger....maybe centre as a 4th or 5th option.
But after speaking to a reliable good contact, who knows far more than I on what is planned for 2024 at Manly, Paulo is definitely being considered as a starting winger for 2024 and is rated highly as more than just a backup.
This tells me it could well be Koula and Garrick in the centres, with Saab a likely starter and the other spot up for grabs.
Now pretty keen to see how he plays...I certainly think Tuipulotu will struggle to hold a spot.
I think Paulo may struggle…. He even seems to have trouble spelling his first name…

Just sayin’

Hey @maxta , I personally think he should be first choice winger, but much like Woods, I think Siebold likes his legacy players and will run with Koula / Parker in the centres (why else would he re-sign for two years). I think Siebold will go:

01. Time Trbojevic
02. Jason Saab
03. Tolu Koula
04. Brad Parker
05. Reuben Garrick
06. Luke Brooks
07. Daly Cherry-Evans

But MY team would be:

01. Tom Trbojevic
02. Jason Saab
03. Tolu Koula
04. Reuben Garrick
05. Jaxson Paulo
06. Luke Brooks
07. Daly Cherry-Evans

While I do like Brad Parker and I think on his day he is one of the best defensive centres in the NRL ... we are never going to win a premiership with him as a starter.

Ryan, your preferred backline is the same as mine.

I still laugh at the nimrods on Facebook advocating to put Koula at fullback and move Tom to the centres. They think 2 good games against the 2 worst NRL teams in the past 4 years should mean a permanent position switch for the two. I think many forget that Turbo won the 2021 Dally M Medal in just 15 games all from fullback. Koula is bloody quick and that pace needs unleashing more on Manly's opposition ... but Turbo is the best fullback in the game bar none. You don't rob Peter to pay Paul.

While I do like Brad Parker and I think on his day he is one of the best defensive centres in the NRL ... we are never going to win a premiership with him as a starter.

Ryan, your preferred backline is the same as mine.

I still laugh at the nimrods on Facebook advocating to put Koula at fullback and move Tom to the centres. They think 2 good games against the 2 worst NRL teams in the past 4 years should mean a permanent position switch for the two. I think many forget that Turbo won the 2021 Dally M Medal in just 15 games all from fullback. Koula is bloody quick and that pace needs unleashing more on Manly's opposition ... but Turbo is the best fullback in the game bar none. You don't rob Peter to pay Paul.
Hey mate, agree with most of that. I would put quite a few fullbacks in front of Turbo though , in my view.

Edwards, Tedesco, Walsh & a few others, but that's just me.

That being said, I'm sure if Tom had an injury free run, and built chemistry / consistency with the team I'd likely think otherwise.

Wouldn 't underestimate Faulalo "s ability to improve even more and eventually come into some consideration for a i st grade wing spot if an opportunity does emerge.
Obviously not yet exposed to the full pressure of i st grade footy in an outside back position or full back but obviously also a standout at Blacktown and every prospect of going even better

Wouldn 't underestimate Faulalo "s ability to improve even more and eventually come into some consideration for a i st grade wing spot if an opportunity does emerge.
Obviously not yet exposed to the full pressure of i st grade footy in an outside back position or full back but obviously also a standout at Blacktown and every prospect of going even better
Although I didn’t watch many full games only highlights last season of Blacktown he did seem to be a class above. Fast, elusive and knew how to find the try line.

Defense and high ball under pressure is what he needs to work on I guess - a full time contract and nrl pre season is just what he needs

Just an opinion, but not a player I was too excited about joining Manly and seen only as a backup winger....maybe centre as a 4th or 5th option.
But after speaking to a reliable good contact, who knows far more than I on what is planned for 2024 at Manly, Paulo is definitely being considered as a starting winger for 2024 and is rated highly as more than just a backup.
This tells me it could well be Koula and Garrick in the centres, with Saab a likely starter and the other spot up for grabs.
Now pretty keen to see how he plays...I certainly think Tuipulotu will struggle to hold a spot.
His name sounds more like a famous artist than an nrl player

Just sayin’

Hey mate, agree with most of that. I would put quite a few fullbacks in front of Turbo though , in my view.

Edwards, Tedesco, Walsh & a few others, but that's just me.

That being said, I'm sure if Tom had an injury free run, and built chemistry / consistency with the team I'd likely think otherwise.

When Tom is fit and firing, he is the best fullback in the game IMO.

Don't get me wrong, as fullbacks go he couldn't have any better opposition than the likes of Edwards, Tedesco and Walsh (personally I think Latrell Mitchell is a better centre than fullback). But I think on his day Turbo is better than any of them on their best day.

Although Edwards played on the wing for the Kangaroos, he's not a winger.
Tedesco is a fullback only.
Walsh I think is the more versatile of this trio. I think he'll end up like Lockyer, transitioning to 5/8 in a few years time.

For mine unfortunately Turbo's rep career is going to go like Rowdy Shearer's did. Best position is fullback, but because of others who are fullbacks only (e.g. Tedesco and Edwards. Back in Rowdy's time it was Garry Jack and Gary Belcher), he'll spend the bulk of his career in the three quarters and probably won't get a shot at the No.1 Blues and Kangaroos jumpers until late in his career. Like Rowdy his rep career will be good when he's fit enough to play, but it'll be mostly played out of his regular position.

Agree 100%. By my calculations we have 29 spots filled in our top 30 with Nathan Brown now added.

My preference would be another aggressive young prop to round out the squad but if not I’d be inclined to give Faulalo a shot.

Looks a real talent that kid so hopefully he can kick on.

Wingers for 2024: Saab, Tuipolotu, Paulo, Vaega.
Centres for 2024: Koula, Garrick, Parker, Talau (apparently Paulo can cover this as well).

Fullback - and cover: Turbo, Koula, Garrick (apparently Paulo can cover this as well).

It looks like the club wants a squad depth of two players deep for each of our backs next year to cover potential injuries, loss of form, whatever. Can't argue with that (understanding that another Turbo injury means shifting a centre and a re-shuffle). Hoping to see lots of competition for spots, great attack, lots more points scored than 2023.

I'd imagine that Paulo at his best is better than Tuipolotu at his best.
problem at the moment is tuipilotu, paulo and vaega are all nsw cup standard wingers as well as Clayton Faulalo who was leading try scorer in that comp last year. Need one of these guys to have a standard out year for us to have a complete backline.
I think Paulo is signed as a depth signing and will be between tuipilotu and Vaega for round 1.

For a winger i recon there are 5 areas of measurement which can be used to select any of these wingers
  • Yardage meters from own end
  • Speed
  • Dependability under high balls
  • Finishing abilities - athleticism
  • Defensive decisions
Tuipilotu and Vaega are very similar for the first 3 areas based off their physique and recent form. However, Vaega is much more athletic when it comes to finishing in the corner which will be crucial for the amount of opportunities he could have being Tom's left side winger. But honestly, vaega's defensive decisions are hopeless and every team especially top end teams will just run shapes at him all day as he usually just holds back and can't read the play compared to tuipilotu who is only average but already a lot better in this area.

Vaega does have the larger potential over tuipilotu but with his current defence can't be picked for first grade.
If I was a coach at Manly i'm allowing Manly's right side of probably one of the best attacking edges in the comp of cherry, olakau'ata, garrick and saab to run that spread play usually on tackle 4 at Manly's new and probabily inexperienced and weak defensivily left side of brooks schuster koula and vaega for hours until they as a collective can work it out how to defend that play.
Because currently Vaega will be letting in far too many tries by sitting back that outweighs his finishing ability over tuipilotu.

The starting winger will still likely be Tuipilotu, with Paulo pushing for that left wing spot.
The Talau option as an outside back is more depth to cover both centre/wing and the funny thing with Talau, I recall he burst onto the scene as a youngster some years ago and I thought 'this bloke has much potential".....a bit like the Suli signing, so much promise to deliver, yet the mail keeps going to the wrong adress

Personally, I can see Garrick and Saab on the wing and Parker in the centres with Koula, when the squad is at full fitness. I don’t think Garrick at centre is a fair accompli. I’m not sure how I feel about that, but yeah, I have a gut feeling Parker is still a top selection for Seibs.

Then it’s probably going to be form that dictates who steps in for injury/rep cover.

Think that it was just more then just a bit of conjecture that Garrick could transition to a centre role next season .
Could have just been a part inducement factor to encourage him to re sign last season with the suggestion [ or his stated preference to play again there ] but did eventuate in him having one full game there and seemed to go O K .
Guess in the general sense it comes down to what more he can or is capable of offering then Parker and no doubt the one basic or realistic aspect would be in the speed department and to give the attack some better advantage .
No doubting the reliability [ or general reliability ] factor with Parker and no doubt also trial and off season training indicators will be the main influence deciding the most suitable candidate ] .

Personally, I can see Garrick and Saab on the wing and Parker in the centres with Koula, when the squad is at full fitness. I don’t think Garrick at centre is a fair accompli. I’m not sure how I feel about that, but yeah, I have a gut feeling Parker is still a top selection for Seibs.

Then it’s probably going to be form that dictates who steps in for injury/rep cover.
Geez I would really hope not. After years of persisting with Parker when we had no better option, I think we finally have more suitable candidates.

Garrick's time at FB and general development has more than equipped him with the skillset to be a great centre (certainly, may need a little time to gain full confidence defensively).

Undoubtedly, he is a more complete footballer, and far more athletic and capable, than Parker - who now really needs to move in to the back row (love him, but just way too slow to be an outside back in the NRL!)

Geez I would really hope not. After years of persisting with Parker when we had no better option, I think we finally have more suitable candidates.

Garrick's time at FB and general development has more than equipped him with the skillset to be a great centre (certainly, may need a little time to gain full confidence defensively).

Undoubtedly, he is a more complete footballer, and far more athletic and capable, than Parker - who now really needs to move in to the back row (love him, but just way too slow to be an outside back in the NRL!)
I’m not a big Parker advocate, but I actually think his handling has been more of an issue than his speed over the years. He cleaned it up a bit but for a player that doesn’t touch the ball an awful lot in games, he was sure good for a knock on at a crucial moment.

The thing about his speed is that he might not score scintillating tries but he does run a good line for both his own tries and those who benefit outside him. He can be an effective attacking player, independent of his lack of pace. Personally, I can handle him getting easily caught down an edge but when blokes burn him with the ball, that’s when I really lament his lack of speed.

As for Paulo, I haven't seen him a lot but he is big and fast. My guess is he is certainly in the mix but it will come down to attitude and performance (at training, trials or reserve games). Definitely another plus in Manly's depth column.

Staff online

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8
8 4 4 -16 8