Is the game better ( or worse) after all the changes

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details

Calls grow for return to two referees as six-again rule blamed for damaging integrity of 10-metre rule

The NRL’s one-referee system is losing support with head coaches as some warn the six-again tackle restart is beginning to have the opposite effect than what was initially intended.

The six-again rule was introduced to help bring fatigue back into the game with the goal of promoting a more attacking style of rugby league, increasing the game’s entertainment value.

The ARL Commission also switched back to one referee in a bid to prevent the over policing and minimising the impact match officials had on the outcomes of games.

According to one leading Sydney coach, those two changes combined, are no longer having the desired impact on increased fatigue and entertainment.

Speaking on the condition of anonymity, the coach told News Corp Australia, he believed the NRL needed to consider switching back to the two referee system.

He believes the introduction of the six-again rule has damaged the integrity of the 10-metre rule because it’s forcing referees to stand too close to the ruck and, in turn, encouraging players to break the line before it is legal to do so.

“One referee, trying to watch for the six-again rule naturally has to stand close to the ruck so when you do that, the first thing that goes is the 10-metre line and by the time a tackled player plays the ball, the line could be as little as six metres,” he said.

“But they didn’t want to blow the penalty before because it slows down the game and they think it takes out the fatigue element.

“I really think there is merit to returning to a two-referee system. You have a main referee ruling on the game and the ruck and second referee, they just mark a clear 10-metre line.

“If the game wants fatigue then that’s how you get it. You won’t be blowing the penalties because it ensures no one can stand off-side.”

Speaking to the media on Friday morning, Sea Eagles coach Des Hasler questioned whether match officials had received a new directive from referees boss Bernard Sutton to ping sides in a bid to restore the the integrity of the 10-metre line, which had diminished since the six-again restart.

Ashley Klein blew nine penalties in Thursday night’s clash between St George Illawarra and South Sydney with six of those penalties awarded for breaking the 10-metre offside rule.

Referees boss Sutton told News Corp Australia that match officials were not given a directive or edict to crackdown on players standing offside in the defensive line.

“We are just encouraging the referees to deal with the issues and challenges as they present in games. That has undoubtedly led to some increased penalties for 10 metre due to some teams becoming less compliant or more challenging in that area,” Sutton said.

While there may not be a directive from Sutton, there has been an upward trend in penalties awarded for infringing the 10-metre rule.

According to Fox Sports Lab, 101 offside penalties have been blown since round six of the competition compared to 49 in the opening five rounds of the season.

The NRL will review the success of one referee system at the conclusion of the competition before deciding whether to continue with the change beyond season 2020.

It's also stated that anyone who dislikes news items when they are just reprinted for THEIR CONVENIENCE can go **** themselves and get the news themselves in the future.

Im a fan of the six again rule but I'd like to see it tweaked. Ruck infringements inside the attacking sides 20 should still be a penalty to deter sides from intentionally infringing to pin a side on their own line. Also in the last 3-5 mins of each half the attacking side should have the option of kicking for goal. In both these situations giving away 6 more tackles is not a sufficient deterrent.

With the 6 again, why should an infringement on the 5th tackle (resulting in a total of 11 tackles) be worth more than an infringement on the 1st (resulting in a total of 7 tackles)?
Because of this, we invariably see players holding down on the 1st or 2nd tackles.

Why not simply add a number of tackles (say 4) to the current tackle count whatever it may be?

I guess it was no different to giving away a penalty on the last under the old rules.

Difference now is teams don't get a breather (but under old rules you kicked for touch)

They do need to stop clubs deliberately giving away resets as a way of getting their defensive line

overall I think the rules are for the best.

The clubs getting flogged just need to adapt.

I saw a stat the other day, that scores between top 8 games were relatively close. The same went for bottom 4 games.

Its when the likes of storm play donkeys you get these huge scores.

It does concern me the ref's do have another influential tool, but I feel they've been using it less of late.

The bunker needs to go in the bin. Useless.

I have noticed alot less extra time game this year.

the game is more flowing but Im afraid there are now too many injuries.
Impossible to tell if that's down to the new rules, an interrupted season or a combination of both.

Interesting stat, there has been fewer injuries this year than there was up until the same point last year. Only slightly more long term injuries (5+ weeks).

I keep saying it, the new rules are great (sometimes) if you have two relatively competitive teams and a 50/50 share of possession change throughout the game. If not, you get massive blowouts, or you get a run of points to one team, then a run of points to the other team.

Giving 15 penalties a game contributes to it as well. Way too many penalties. They need to referee games like Origin style. The NRL has not woken up to this yet.

It also compounds in the scale of defeats. It makes teams look like they are not putting in. You have to be ridiculously fit to play this stoopid form of NRL or you will get flogged.

This stuff in 2020 is unwatchable junk, even if Manly were #1.

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
8 7 1 109 16
9 7 2 72 16
8 7 1 56 16
9 6 3 57 14
10 6 4 58 12
9 5 4 -14 12
10 5 4 31 11
9 5 4 95 10