It was Des all along coaching thread

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though

Who do you think will be coaching us next year?

• Total voters
See @Woodsie once it starts you can’t stop it!

Mark, we are both of an age where we begin to question many of our long held beliefs and attitudes ..... I have taken the unprecedented step of engaging 2 spiritual advisors in @mozgrame and @Moondog .....

The former has me becoming more tolerant and the latter has taught me to appreciate the joy of underwear ...... this combination of existential awareness and a snug groin has given me a whole new outlook towards Mullets and numb-nuts ......

Ticks every box, Des.

Hard head
Strong enough to resist ownership
Good track record
Brings quality staff
Ability to acquire talent
Knows our culture / resources
Slightly wacky!

I'm also curious to see which support staff Des will want. With Tooves as his right hand man, he was without doubt the best coach in the competition. Without Tooves he was not able to replicate his success at Manly with the Dogs.
True, although had they won the 2012 and 2014 premierships it’d be another story you’d think, they simply went stale, kept their defence, although they lost x-factor players (Ben Barba, in form Hodkinson, Ennis) and opposition sides adapted to their previously effective gameplan of size, meaning they were stuck with a bunch of big players and couldn’t resolve anything after that point. Luckily enough the side we have here can’t ever go all that stale in attack. We have natural ability in that department, like the dogs had natural ability in size and power back when Des joined them. He’ll make another gameplan that suits and fine-tunes our strength, and will build on our defence. That’s all we need.

Des would be a recruitment draw card as well, completely reversing the sorry state in recruitment we are in at the moment. I’m stoked Des is back, the Penn’s are compromising a little to make it possible, though it’s the right thing (in case they read this!)

Des Hasler's hard nosed, my way or the highway style of coaching is just what this team needs.

A lot of them, even the upper tier, have gotten way too comfortable knowing that there haven't been consequences (such as being dropped) for poor performances in recent years.
Well said. Ownership has been missing from our side due to Baz’s excuses

Well said. Ownership has been missing from our side due to Baz’s excuses

Mate, some of his post game press conferences were downright annoying. Saying things like he was really proud of the effort level when we had been thumped by 20+ points, or when we had given up a big lead and lost. I'm sorry but with the level of talent this team actually has, if your getting pumped by 20+ or giving up and big lead and losing, then other than maybe a couple who never gave up, the effort level wasn't there.

Question to all in ST land?

Let’s assume our new coach is who we think it is!

So what happens to Cartwrong, does he remain assistant ??

Becomes the recruiting manager??

Or is paid out and ****ed off like Twenty??

We have current test players Daly Cherry-Evans, Tom Trbojevic, Jake Trbojevic (also all current Origin players), Martin Taupau, Addin Fonua-Blake and Jorge Taufua. We have internationals in Dylan Walker and Api Koroisau (both also premiership winners at Souffs), Origin players in Trent Hodkinson and other rep players like Joel Thompson and Brian Kelly (plus Curtis Sironen, not that he played much this year). Plus we had former Origin and international Akuila Uate.

Yet under Barrett's coaching this year we finished a poofteenth from the clubs first ever wooden spoon. And lets face it, after losing 48-16 to Brisbane in the last round we were just lucky that Doesn't-matta had to play (and got thumped by) the eventual premiers or we might well have got that spoon.

That level of talent alone is top 8 quality at least and shouldn't be finishing 15th out of 16 with a 7-17 record.

Last edited:
Will be fascinating to see if Hasler can have success back at Manly.

Is it a case of a coach being perfectly suited to a club's culture and anatomy? Or was he a supercoach because he had a sh*t hot team full of footballers, rather than athletes?

He can coach either way. Just a question of - is he a good coach, or the supercoach of 2008-2011?

Time will tell.

Just don't let him near the books.

Team P W L PD Pts
9 8 1 116 18
9 7 2 72 16
9 7 2 49 16
11 7 4 59 14
9 6 3 57 14
10 6 4 -10 14
10 6 4 115 12
10 5 5 -56 12
11 5 5 30 11