Ivan Cleary wanting to coachagain in the nrl

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I don't mind who coaches manly as long as they are collaroy residents.
Larry Adler then?

Has the ski shop on Pittwater Road and is a whip on the harmonica.

As for Cleary, yes he is a Manly junior, but he couldn't wait to leave back in 1993. Not sure if he has any great love for the club.

Also, would he want to step into the viper's nest at Narrabeen?

Twenty is building his Zoolander team of the decade (pt2) so really he will need to do as he did this year to be booted out in 2017. Recent efforts suggest this won't be an issue.

Can he coach - probably. Can he coach Manly - Seems not.

Time to look at Cleary will run out when he is snapped up by St Merge when they punt old Mary the stupid in the off season.

Twenty Bwarret has performed to my expectations this year; being he would do worse than 2V with an even more aged superstar roster.

Zoolander can f off back to Kogarah or the gong anytime he likes.

My memory is a bit fuzzy on all of this, so feel free to correct me.

Cleary was contracted to Penrith. Bozo signed Barrett. Gus was apparently disappointed he chose to leave. Later on Gus sacked Cleary… why?

Did Gus see Barrett as the long term replacement for Cleary?

If Cleary was available back then, would Bozo have hired him instead?

Would Cleary want to come to Manly & be assistant to Barrett?

Personally, I think Cleary is a fine coach & I wouldn't mind him coaching Manly. Just not sure if Bozo would or could make it work.

Last edited:
I really don't want to be behind the 8 ball by round 10 watching this great team we used to call manly maybe with 2 wins from 10 and have our season basically over by then ,cut the cord now wake up to yourselves PENN AND CO !!!!

I do wonder why there is so much hatred for hasler from so many on here...

Des built the manly dynasty from the ground up after the northern eagles fiasco. Brick by brick he and crusher and their back staff had to fight and scrap for what they made. Does anyone really believe killer would have come to manly if it hadnt been for des and cleal. No chance.

He created a win at all cost mentality that no other club had bar melbourne and their salary cheating ****bags.

This while all the time the club was attempting to tear itself apart from the inside... i dont blame hime for getting out. I cant blame him for attempting to take the product he created with him.

Would any of you des haters stay in your job if you were the only thing holding together a sinking ship with captains that were arseholes. You get a call from a rival employer that says hey. Ome iver here and we will pay you more and give you full control.

I for one would have hime back in a heart beat.

My solution is send twenty to the Merge where he came from to replace bl00dy Mary & we have Cleary return, fixed.
I'm sure Cleary is a competent coach but let's not get carried away with his Manly connection.

He played a mere 15 games with us and most of his career was spent absorbing the brilliant culture of the Bears, Chooks, and Warriors.

As a coach he had 10 years coaching clubs with probably 2 of the strongest junior nurseries in the whole comp, and has a total of one GF appearance to show for it.

I'm sure Cleary is a competent coach but let's not get carried away with his Manly connection.

He played a mere 15 games with us and most of his career was spent absorbing the brilliant culture of the Bears, Chooks, and Warriors.

As a coach he had 10 years coaching clubs with probably 2 of the strongest junior nurseries in the whole comp, and has a total of one GF appearance to show for it.
That's one more than Barrett

Des is MWSE's best option for top quality coaching right now. Experienced, a 'thinker', tactician, perfectionist, makes Twenty look like a school boy. But that's not onerous.
I actually think that by now, Des wants to come back ! Bennett has created the precedent there, and Des's ego will be comfortable with it.
Warning to club owners: Des n Crusher can choose talent, but contract negotiations must be controlled ~ No Backenders !.

Des will want another title. Dogs are his best option for that in 2017 (and 2016). So I can't see him moving.

Des will want a lot of coin, probably much, much, more than our owners will pay for a coach.

In addition too which, the split with Manly was extremely messy, very difficult as an outsider to see either side swallowing pride.

Not to mention, why would one of the top coaches choose a club that is rebuilding virtually from scratch?

Des will want a lot of coin, probably much, much, more than our owners will pay for a coach.

In addition too which, the split with Manly was extremely messy, very difficult as an outsider to see either side swallowing pride.

Not to mention, why would one of the top coaches choose a club that is rebuilding virtually from scratch?
What if we offer him 50% more than we previously offered, maybe even sweeten it further by signing a lump to perform bodyguard duties for him?

My memory is a bit fuzzy on all of this, so feel free to correct me.

Cleary was contracted to Penrith. Bozo signed Barrett. Gus was apparently disappointed he chose to leave. Later on Gus sacked Cleary… why?

Did Gus see Barrett as the long term replacement for Cleary?

If Cleary was available back then, would Bozo have hired him instead?

Would Cleary want to come to Manly & be assistant to Barrett?

Personally, I think Cleary is a fine coach & I wouldn't mind him coaching Manly. Just not sure if Bozo would or could make it work.

If Gus was so sure that Barrett would make a quality first grade coach, why didn't he keep him at Penrith, why sell his case to Bozo so he could coach Manly and then a few months later sack Cleary and have to go looking for another coach?

Not sure Cleary is a supercoach answer - less than 50% win record, Panthers look a better team this year without him there. 10 years with 1 good one so far as a coach.

Barrett is still an unknown but will need to show something next year or might be goneski. The question is how much was it Bozo and Zorba and how much Barrett this year? Looked like Barrett only got his way from the cows on and we looked better.

Des has stuffed this club already and thinks he is bigger than the club - a Zorba in the making so no thanks.

Yes I agree sadly. I saw nothing to suggest Barrett/Hoss is going to prove a success at all. YES we had injuries and lots of them but what I did see were our boys looking like 'deers in headlights' defensively on our edges and an awkward disjointed completely directionless attack. How tf that Seibold was a defensive coach with Bellyache and QLD has got me beat. Might have the nous but clearly not the communication style to sink into our players. Attack wise if anyone can name ONE time in 2016 a commentator described a 'beautifully executed' try from our boys I'd love to hear it. So quite frankly I am very very bemused right now and I'm normally a positive person lol

I actually met Ivan Cleary and his entire extended family recently - nice bunch of folks, too...Nathan was there is is obviously a good kid (playing with his little cousins, respectful to elders, etc). Ivan's wife agreed that he desperately wants to find a club, and wishes it was Manly...but they will have to take whatever comes along. They all seem to support the Eagles still. Jason Death was there too, played lower grades for us. Think he is Ivan's brother-in-law.

I actually met Ivan Cleary and his entire extended family recently - nice bunch of folks, too...Nathan was there is is obviously a good kid (playing with his little cousins, respectful to elders, etc). Ivan's wife agreed that he desperately wants to find a club, and wishes it was Manly...but they will have to take whatever comes along. They all seem to support the Eagles still. Jason Death was there too, played lower grades for us. Think he is Ivan's brother-in-law.

You can take the boy out of Manly.......

IIRC the only reason Cleary left us in the first place was because he was stuck in reserve grade behind Matthew Ridge. He went to the Bears to play fullback but got injured in early 1994, missed a few games and by the time he got back on the park Matt Seers had come onto the scene so Cleary got stuck in the centres before he went to the Chooks.

Unfortunately its also meant we missed on Nathan being a Manly junior.

You can take the boy out of Manly.......

IIRC the only reason Cleary left us in the first place was because he was stuck in reserve grade behind Matthew Ridge. He went to the Bears to play fullback but got injured in early 1994, missed a few games and by the time he got back on the park Matt Seers had come onto the scene so Cleary got stuck in the centres before he went to the Chooks.

Unfortunately its also meant we missed on Nathan being a Manly junior.
Yeah, I think that is about right. I do seem to recall him playing in the centres for us for a while, and doing a good job of it.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6