Jack Wighton free to negotiate ...

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
There were whispers last week that he was a fair chance of pulling the pin on his career due to his issues.Unfortunately I’m pretty sure I heard Rothfield say something about it so my source is unreliable
I for one hope he sticks with it. He might not be right to go in 2023 so be it. NRL has not seen the best of Knight yet. I really believe back at Man would be the best place for him.

(sorry if already posted...)

NRL to probe Jack Wighton deal as Raiders gun signs with rival club for less

NRL chief executive Andrew Abdo told the Herald the salary-cap auditor would review the contract and test the market value, with Wighton expected to forego about $300,000 per year to link with the Rabbitohs, leaving the Raiders infuriated.

(but all that will happen is they'll say: 'We looked into it, and everything is ok.')
Look what they did to us with Glen Stewart. He must be calculated under the cap at true market value represented by the offers made by other clubs.

When there’s no mechanism‘s in place to determine market value, the NRL are basically a toothless tiger, the player and the club are free to negotiate an agreed value, there’s your true MV.

Haven’t heard of a GS type situation since that debacle, maybe the NRL overstepped the mark in relation to free trade under the corporations act or something similar and without some internal framework (like the cap itself which is an internal instrument that (supposedly) restricts clubs from overspending on their teams) there’s SFA they can do about it.

Though I heard something a while back, if a club registered their offer with the NRL, then that could be viewed as a market indicator, not just a hearsay type offer. Had the Raiders done that then maybe the Rabbits would of had their hands tied at 1.1, doubt the Raiders would of done after 14 years of loyal service, think they gave Whighton the ok to test the market in the first place. Anyway move on his a Rabbit and it’s pretty obvious to most that clubs like the Rorters and the Rabbits have powerful owners and or backers who can and are happy to do what it takes to get talent to their clubs.

Look what they did to us with Glen Stewart. He must be calculated under the cap at true market value represented by the offers made by other clubs.

Maybe Jack is just being very charitable towards Souths. I mean what's a small $300,000 anyway.

The Tigers have tried throwing silly money at the likes of Munster and Moses. It was also rumoured that clubs were offering Tom $1.4m a year back when he last re-signed with us. If ‘market value’ for salary cap purposes was determined by what other clubs offered or were ‘willing’ to pay, then clubs who know they are in with little chance would put high offers in just to screw the other clubs. It’d be a bad rule in my opinion.

The Tigers have tried throwing silly money at the likes of Munster and Moses. It was also rumoured that clubs were offering Tom $1.4m a year back when he last re-signed with us. If ‘market value’ for salary cap purposes was determined by what other clubs offered or were ‘willing’ to pay, then clubs who know they are in with little chance would put high offers in just to screw the other clubs. It’d be a bad rule in my opinion.
Not if it was a registered offer, whereby the club becomes obligated, if you make the offer and there’s not a higher registered offer, pay up the players yours.

Not sure if Souths would do all that much better with Jack Wighton playing as a centre , club footy does offer more as a 6 . Then he was originally mainly a full back earlier in his career so he could be classified as good utility value as well . Worth a mil dollars + a season , very borderline but of course a very capable player . Some suggestion of a back ended type of contract as well , could be quite problematic with any T P A " s . Quite an expectation to assume that a club , even with a well credentialed player roster has an above average chance of snaring a title in any set time frame and with all of the variables involved there . Anyway he and his manager "s call and for Souths to accommodate him cap wise

This.

The Faders offer him 1.1 million a season for 4 years. He shouldn't have been able to find a pen fast enough.

But he tests the market and takes less money.

Anyone remember when the NRL stepped in to stop us re-signing Glenn Stewart because he was going to accept less than (ironically) Souths offered him to stay a one club man.

So where are the NRL now ? Why is this bloke allowed to accept less than market value ? You can't have it both ways. Either the NRL stays out of contracts or it sets values on players.

For what it's worth, I don't think the signing will bring the Vermin a premiership. Wighton's not that good. But can we get a little consistency ? Why are they letting him take a 200K/year less ?

What I remember is Manly mgt did not want to re-sign Glen so they low balled the offer. Glen didn't want to leave so he was thinking of accepting the schiit offer.
The NRL quite rightly said they would never approve such a low contract. Manly refused to upgrade the offer.

Hence Glen was forced to leave, not because of the NRL, but Manly. Tooves sided with the non Penn faction and agreed with the low ball offer. That sealed the fate of Tooves when Penn gained control of the club.

This is VERY different to what is happening with Wighton. Canberra offer overs and Souths offer 900k per season.
Souths are paying extremely good $$. Canberra are offering stupid $$.

Wighton is free to sign with whoever he likes.

Not if it was a registered offer, whereby the club becomes obligated, if you make the offer and there’s not a higher registered offer, pay up the players yours.
I don’t think it would make much difference registered or otherwise. For example, some players would be unlikely to leave Queensland, and next to zero chance to go to the Warriors. Warriors could register a high offer for the player knowing that, in reality, it won’t be accepted.

Provided that there is no illegal payments outside of the cap, players should be permitted to move wherever for whatever salary they choose.

This.

The Faders offer him 1.1 million a season for 4 years. He shouldn't have been able to find a pen fast enough.

But he tests the market and takes less money.

Anyone remember when the NRL stepped in to stop us re-signing Glenn Stewart because he was going to accept less than (ironically) Souths offered him to stay a one club man.

So where are the NRL now ? Why is this bloke allowed to accept less than market value ? You can't have it both ways. Either the NRL stays out of contracts or it sets values on players.

For what it's worth, I don't think the signing will bring the Vermin a premiership. Wighton's not that good. But can we get a little consistency ? Why are they letting him take a 200K/year less ?
It's below his market value both dolphins and raiders where larger. Nrl should step in and tell souths if they want him they have to pay his rate

Provided that there is no illegal payments outside of the cap, players should be permitted to move wherever for whatever salary they choose.
Hard to disagree under the current framework, sad part, the the wealthy clubs just get to continue there domination, able to get away with paying unders to attract and retain the best players, especially drawing talent away from lesser clubs with the incentive of success in October.

The system needs an overhaul, looking at the Rorters roster is a prime example of how inequitable the current system is, their depth is outrageous (almost as outrageous as trying to fit their roster under the cap legally) while clubs like us are struggling to field a side (forget depth) and we aren’t by any means the worst off.

Though I heard something a while back, if a club registered their offer with the NRL, then that could be viewed as a market indicator, not just a hearsay type offer. Had the Raiders done that then maybe the Rabbits would of had their hands tied at 1.1, doubt the Raiders would of done after 14 years of loyal service, think they gave Whighton the ok to test the market in the first place. Anyway move on his a Rabbit and it’s pretty obvious to most that clubs like the Rorters and the Rabbits have powerful owners and or backers who can and are happy to do what it takes to get talent to their clubs.
Found this in the article below @Rafferty ....
"The Raiders famously lodged their $4.4m offer to Wighton with the NRL in case Wighton took a lot less money."

Hard to disagree under the current framework, sad part, the the wealthy clubs just get to continue there domination, able to get away with paying unders to attract and retain the best players, especially drawing talent away from lesser clubs with the incentive of success in October.

The system needs an overhaul, looking at the Rorters roster is a prime example of how inequitable the current system is, their depth is outrageous (almost as outrageous as trying to fit their roster under the cap legally) while clubs like us are struggling to field a side (forget depth) and we aren’t by any means the worst off.
Totally agree. The current system makes it really hard for the lesser clubs to rebuild as the distribution of talent does not happen as intended.

In real terms I would suggest considering the commercial opportunities for him at souths (legitimate ones that is - ones that come with their ownership structure) he would most likely be very close to earning a similar amount

Just an aside - I know it didn't come from Whighton (but Mal Meninga) but how thrilled are his Canberra team mates going to be to play the rest of the season with him when they read that Whighton doesn't have confidence in them to win him a premiership?? He can say he's going to stay committed to them for the rest of the year all he likes but it's got to be a problem for them.

I for one hope he sticks with it. He might not be right to go in 2023 so be it. NRL has not seen the best of Knight yet. I really believe back at Man would be the best place for him.
Yeah, I would take him at the right price. I think you're right, he still has a lot to offer if he can stay fit and has the commitment. Coming back to Manly could be very good for him.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6