Jamie Lyon v Michael O'Connor

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Bearfax said:
I well remember the fine centre combination of Gartner and O'Connor. They were top line centres and deserve the accolades of Manly fans. But I think the Matai-Lyon combination is the more effective combination. No where near as fast as Gartner and O'Connor, but far more effective, better defensively and much more involved in the game.

As for O'Connor vs Lyon, I think Lyon is the better all round footballer. He didnt have O'Connors flair and speed, but he is a far better defender and has a unique ability to sniff out an opportunity and is also a much better link man. As goal kickers they are about on par.

If you are talking about Frogs Eyes Gartner, then his career didn't overlap with Snoz's. I think Snoz would have played mainly with Darrell Williams and Rowdy Shearer as a centre partner. Possibly one or two others in that time as well

O'Connor was one of the most graceful and elusive natural footballers you would see - light stepping and with great skills. Probably a little more naturally athletic & flashy than Killer.

But Jamie Lyon can do it all - sums up try scoring chances perfectly, great reader in defence, great leader, done it over many many years. Does not have a weakness in his game. I think Lyon stands above or at least level with any player from any era we have ever had at this club (outside Bozo ).

Chip and Chase said:
Bearfax said:
I well remember the fine centre combination of Gartner and O'Connor. They were top line centres and deserve the accolades of Manly fans. But I think the Matai-Lyon combination is the more effective combination. No where near as fast as Gartner and O'Connor, but far more effective, better defensively and much more involved in the game.

As for O'Connor vs Lyon, I think Lyon is the better all round footballer. He didnt have O'Connors flair and speed, but he is a far better defender and has a unique ability to sniff out an opportunity and is also a much better link man. As goal kickers they are about on par.

If you are talking about Frogs Eyes Gartner, then his career didn't overlap with Snoz's. I think Snoz would have played mainly with Darrell Williams and Rowdy Shearer as a centre partner. Possibly one or two others in that time as well
Frog eyes left Manly for the Roosters 1982 Snoz came to Manly from the Dragons in 1987

Snake said:
I was too young to see O'Connor play, but I can comment on Jamie Lyon...

He is the most genuine footballer I have ever seen. He has all the skills; speed, step, pass, kick, and tackle. He does all the 1% plays with 100% commitment. He is never selfish, he is always encouraging, and he is the greatest leader of men I have witnessed in sporting circles. I cannot wrap this guy enough...he is an absolute champion, and he is our champion!

Only Foran and Ballin come close to putting in anywhere near the effort of this guy week in week out.
You left out Matai feathered friend

BOZO said:
Snake said:

He is the most genuine footballer I have ever seen. He has all the skills; speed, step, pass, kick, and tackle. He does all the 1% plays with 100% commitment. He is never selfish, he is always encouraging, and he is the greatest leader of men I have witnessed in sporting circles. I cannot wrap this guy enough...he is an absolute champion, and he is our champion!

Only Foran and Ballin come close to putting in anywhere near the effort of this guy week in week out.

Agree, Matai included.

BOZO said:
Chip and Chase said:
Bearfax said:

Frog eyes left Manly for the Roosters 1982 Snoz came to Manly from the Dragons in 1987

Snake said:

My error. I've been watching the Sea Eagles since 1966 but sometimes players seem to come together, who never played alongside each other in my mind. This old anachronistic self has done it again. Next I'll be seeing Bob Fulton playing alongside Cliff Lyons (my two favourite players mind you and No 1 and 2 in my estimation of the best Manly players I've seen)

Snoz (78-92) Played 211.Tries.94 Goals .317 FG 20.Total 1021
Lyon(2000-) Played 310.Tries155.Goals. 617 FG 0 . Total 1854
The Snoz was fast on his feet and Lyon is faster between the ears IMO

I have watched both and Lyon has overtaken Snoz in the legend status.
I don't remember Snoz ever being captain, so that gives Jamie a further edge.
Snoz, of course, could play wing and fullback, so he was very versatile.

Snoz was our Captain after Fatty left in 1990.

Pretty sure he was still Captain in 1992 when he went of to the UK .

http://manlyfootballclub.com.au/documents/2013%20MWRLFC%20Annual%20Report.pdf

M. Whitehead (1947),
R. O’Connell (1948),
G. Hunter (1949),
K. Schubert (1950),
W. O’Connell (1951-52),
R. Bull (1953),
R. Duncan (1954),
R. Bull (1955-56),
G. Hunter (1957),
R. Willey (1958-60),
R. Mossop (1961),
R. Willey (1962),
A. Paskins (1963),
B. O’Connell (1964),
F. Stanton (1965),
K. Day (1966-67),
R. Fulton (1968-69),
J. McDonald (1970),
F. Jones (1971-73),
R. Fulton (1974-76),
R. Branighan (1977),
M. Krilich (1978-79),
G. Eadie (1980),
M. Krilich (1981-82),
A. Thompson (1983-84),
P. Vautin (1985),
N. Cleal (1986),
P. Vautin (1987-89),

M. O’Connor (1990-92),

G. Toovey (1993-2001),
S. Menzies (2002-04),
M. Monaghan (2005),
B. Kennedy (2006),
M. Orford (2007-09),
J. Lyon and J. King (2010-13).

NB: Multiple Captains used in some years – player with most appearances as captain in a given year is listed above.

The Club has had Co-Captains since 2010.
W. Seymour (1947-1949), C. White (1950-56), C. Bowyer (1957-59), J. Cameron (19

For the younger viewers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXfrY_XYO9c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ou2YRIyCKAQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OiHzUYoAZGU#t=56

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVbeRuSBNjw

HappilyManly said:
Killer is more of a Team player, whilst Snoz had the same footy talent, he couldn't lift others who were having an off day.

Snoz and Killer have similar technical skills but Killer also has the people skills IMO.

Both served Manly well, but Snoz blew it with the Manly Fans with his Super League caper :cool:
O Connor must have some people skills as he was the national rugby 7's coach until this year.

Both great players. O Connor had the lightning speed and was a dual-code rugby international. Was a Wallaby Selector and the head coach for Australian 7s rugby team

manlyfan76 said:
HappilyManly said:
Killer is more of a Team player, whilst Snoz had the same footy talent, he couldn't lift others who were having an off day.

Snoz and Killer have similar technical skills but Killer also has the people skills IMO.

Both served Manly well, but Snoz blew it with the Manly Fans with his Super League caper :cool:
O Connor must have some people skills as he was the national rugby 7's coach until this year.
Thats off the field and maybe as he matured. Stuart is a Coach yet not a people person either.:cool:

During his time at Manly, he never struck me as a Team man.
Great individual talent, but not someone who was aware if a team mate was struggling on the field.

At the games you see Killer often come over to a Player and say something. Its usually in the background so doesn't get highlighted on the TV.

I have always said it is difficult to compare players from different eras (or decades) and comparisons like best team should be made per decade. That would be interesting to see if players overlap decades actually performed well enough throughout there careers to be mentioned twice.
What we can't overlook is that O'Connor played on both sides of the field and often hunted in the centre of the ruck for 2nd phase play. O'Connor and Shearer were deadly together whilst Lyon and Matai are the greatest on their respective sides of the field.

Yes both wonderful, quite different players (but also good goalkickers).

I loved and admired Snoz, making the switch from Yawnion, and succeeding handsomely.

I won't sit on the fence again though (@Alan and @Jethro ) lol!

By a nose (sorry Snoz) I would plump for Killer if forced to choose.

Killer is forging his way into the best-captains-we've-had category now too.

(And we've had some outstanding skippers).

Which deserves it's own thread, now I think of it.

Bearfax said:
My error. I've been watching the Sea Eagles since 1966 but sometimes players seem to come together, who never played alongside each other in my mind. This old anachronistic self has done it again. Next I'll be seeing Bob Fulton playing alongside Cliff Lyons (my two favourite players mind you and No 1 and 2 in my estimation of the best Manly players I've seen)

It's all good. Frog Eyes was my favourite player when I was a kid. He had the best swerve in the business.

1995: It sure ain't Santa

Super League's Michael O'Connor is filmed climbing through a window in Townsville to sign players as the Super League war spoils the ARL's party after adding four new clubs.

Staff online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6