Jarrad Day

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

bones

Bones Knows
Sea Eagles set to run the tape over forward
Matthew McInerney 10th January 2013 9:00 AM

Jarrad Day is training this week with NRL heavyweights Manly Sea Eagles in Sydney.

HE HAS been described as a man mountain, a gentle giant and a man with the world at his feet.

A gentleman with a great attitude that has impressed onlookers from an early age.

Physically dominant on the field while remaining grounded enough to be a smart, confident leader.

They are just some of the descriptions offered when local rugby league talent Jarrad Day comes up in conversation.

The 17-year-old forward is in Sydney this week after catching the eye of scouts from the Manly Sea Eagles earlier this year.

It's not the first time Day has appeared on a recruiter's radar.

Day's progress has been closely monitored for at least the last five years when he was first spotted by NRRRL development officer Michael Donnelly.

"We've been keeping an eye on him for the last few years," Donnelly said.

"He's a big lad with a lot of potential and it's great to see him get an opportunity with an NRL club."

Day has worn the colours of the Grafton Ghosts with pride since he was just five-years old.

Being the biggest player on the paddock has had its advantages along the way, as Day has dominated front-row opponents ever since.

"There's no doubting his size and ability that's for sure," Donnelly said.

"Jarrad's the sort of bloke you'd want to have on your side and not just because he's one of the bigger guys there.

"He's a very clean, fair player that'll always go the extra yard to help his teammates."

Day's never-say-die attitude was on show when he represented the Northern Rivers against a representative Samoan team in early December.

During the best-of-three game series, Day injured his knee but despite the trainers' best efforts, Day refused to leave the field for attention.

"We tried to get him to come off but he wanted to stay out there," Donnelly said.

"He ended up powering through it and would only come off when he was completely spent.

"Even then we used him in 10-minute bursts and he wouldn't come off until he was history."

While choosing to stay on the field while injured is usually frowned upon, Day's toughness is lauded as one of his greatest attributes.

"I think he was worried about letting his teammates down," Donnelly said.

"It also shows the type of player he is and it's probably what will separate him from the other kids training with him at Manly.

"The hot weather will suit him because while the others will get tired and throw the towel in he'll just keep powering on."

His toughness has been widely acknowledged, yet Donnelly said the 192cm, 100kg forward's real skill is his ability to find the gap.

"I keep talking about the game against Samoa but he did it all," Donnelly said.

"When the team was up against it and was struggling to make ground, Jarrad would pop up and make plenty of metres.

"A lot of players tend to line up an opposition player and go straight at them but Jarrad was one that could get through it."

EDE_19-09-2012_SPORT_06_GRA170912AHJarrad_t325.jpg

Darren said:
awesome, will be good to watch him handle the Big Smoke.

He should manage home games quite well, it should be like a country ground for him, what with the substandard attendance that Brookie gets....

Grafton? That's in Qld.

What would Jarrad do? (old meme ftw)

However, sounds like a good prospect. Line him up in round 1 I say!

Slits for eyes.. a prerequisite over the years for some of the toughest forwards.:)

Are you referring to the one who made the Australian side and the State of Origin and became one of the highest paid players in his position? Yeah what a dud he was :)

Hey I just noticed that is my post #5000 - woohoo!

SeaEagleRock8 said:
Are you referring to the one who made the Australian side and the State of Origin and became one of the highest paid players in his position? Yeah what a dud he was :)

i reckon our last gentle giant was sione somebody... Mr Tonga?

The article talks about how big he is, but doesn't detail how tall he is nor his weight etc. Sloppy journalism.

So, anyone know how much this 'man mountain' is?

bones said:
His toughness has been widely acknowledged, yet Donnelly said the 192cm, 100kg forward's real skill is his ability to find the gap.

"When the team was up against it and was struggling to make ground, Jarrad would pop up and make plenty of metres.

"A lot of players tend to line up an opposition player and go straight at them but Jarrad was one that could get through it."

The Who said:
The article talks about how big he is, but doesn't detail how tall he is nor his weight etc. Sloppy journalism.

:)

SeaEagleRock8 said:

He was one who would play catch and pass on the field most games and ignore foran's pleas to run the fu**in ball. He was also the one who admitted that he lost desire at manly last year and went missing.

Like Lussick he had no respect for his coach, team mates, club or fans.

He was certainly a dud for us 90% of the time he was on the field.

globaleagle said:
bones said:

The Who said:

:)

Thanks Bones. Missed it on first reading, probably because it was burried near the end of the story.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

@[The Who], I just fixed your reply as it was buried in amongst the quoted section. :)

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2