John Cartwright

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though
Let's no forget how badly structured the titans were under hoss. How they accepted mediocrity year on year and how hoss has a protected species thanks to searle.
Hoss MIGHT be OK as an assistant maybe, but I would be just as upset if he left as when Myles left.

Can anyone tell me: If a club doesn't spend to the limit of its salary cap can that money be added to the following year's cap?
My guess is 'no'. It's probably like Government departments who have a yearly budget and they ensure they spend all of it, even on non-essential things.

Can anyone tell me: If a club doesn't spend to the limit of its salary cap can that money be added to the following year's cap?
My guess is 'no'. It's probably like Government departments who have a yearly budget and they ensure they spend all of it, even on non-essential things.
No but you can get around it by paying guys some of next years pay this year. So Tom Turbo is on 800K over 3 years, we could pay him 1.1M this year then 500K next year and create that cap space next year that way.

Penis size has nothing to do with height - I should know, I'm 4 foot 8.
On Cartwright - I'm no great fan either, but I think you are overstating his influence. Recruitment success would be 50% based on whether the player wants to play for the coach, 50% on the dollars. Doubt very much that players decide based on some backroom guy who happens to be at a meeting.

But if you are a good player, and there are 4-5 clubs after you, there has to be an element of "selling the club". As our only listed recruiter, John Cartwright's role is exactly that. What differentiates Manly from Newcastle, Brisbane, The Warriors, The Dragons & so forth. Mitchell Pearce himself stated it was how Newcastle presented themselves, and sold themselves to him that won the day (although for me it's all about dollars, dollars, dollars imo).

Anyway, we have Gorman (new to club), Cartwright, Scott Fulton and Trent Barrett phoning people. I trust Gorman and Barrett to be able to show a lot of value in our business. The other two, I'd rather buy a watch that fell off the back of a truck than do a deal with them.

@Ryan , I share your less than enthusiastic opinion of Cartwright , to me he is like Citroens, why do we have them ... we don't need them.

But I think your (probably justified) dislike of him has you drawing a fairly long bow re recruitment ... rather than him not performing I think it is more that we simply weren't active in the market.

However, that does not mean you are wrong about his future success .... I would be happy for him to be replaced ...

No but you can get around it by paying guys some of next years pay this year. So Tom Turbo is on 800K over 3 years, we could pay him 1.1M this year then 500K next year and create that cap space next year that way.
Isnt it typical of todd slimeberg and the nrl that they allow a front loading contract as opposed to a back ended deal.
Rules on the run... again...

Penis size has nothing to do with height - I should know, I'm 4 foot 8.
On Cartwright - I'm no great fan either, but I think you are overstating his influence. Recruitment success would be 50% based on whether the player wants to play for the coach, 50% on the dollars. Doubt very much that players decide based on some backroom guy who happens to be at a meeting.
Reminds me of a story about Big Bird Joel Garner when he was out here playing beach cricket a few summers ago. Garner was asked " So Joel you're clearly a big man, tell me is everything in proportion ?" nudge nudge wink wink. Big Bird in reply "Listen man, if everything was in proportion I'd be 9 foot tall"

Don't think anyone is suggesting they are champions now but they are certainly not "depth" signings.

Maybe have a chat to Scott Fulton this is his quote on the Gosiewski signing confirming he is only a depth signing "
Sea Eagles Regional Scout, Scott Fulton, said Gosiewski is a handy acquisition for the Club.

“Jack is an edge back-rower who weighs almost 100 kilos. He will provide extra depth for us in that position and has come to Manly looking for an opportunity,’’ Fulton said."

http://www.seaeagles.com.au/news/2017/10/11/sea_eagles_sign_jack.html

@Ryan , I share your less than enthusiastic opinion of Cartwright , to me he is like Citroens, why do we have them ... we don't need them.

But I think your (probably justified) dislike of him has you drawing a fairly long bow re recruitment ... rather than him not performing I think it is more that we simply weren't active in the market.

However, that does not mean you are wrong about his future success .... I would be happy for him to be replaced ...

Mate, this was the death knell for me with Cartwright. Barrett obviously devastated, Cartwright thinks it's amusing. That to me is just so rude. Just felt bad for Barrett and our boys tbh.
john-cartwright_nzgu7fauha6q1rexegkhlx4rb.jpg

and the video of it is here, where Hindmarsh makes light of it, and said, "Carty knows what it's like to have a loss like this"
http://www.sportingnews.com/au/leag...fit-nrl-sea-eagles/1ay89iqad8gfe1buix4yivq5lx

If Barrett is concerned about who his staff are, I’m sure he has the authority and power to get rid of them. Relax already. You even say Cartwright has been head of recruitment only since 24/10.... 6 weeks!! Relax.

Clubs must now spend 95% of the cap each year

We can always bring forward payments to players to use up this years cap if we don't sign anyone else which will free up money in 2019

I like the Citroens from the 60s or 70s that look like ufos and can be raised or lowered by the driver depending on the road profile. Probably useless but cool nonetheless with interesting curves.

So a bit like Cartwright in one sense (useless), but unlike him in another (cool).

My main memory is of him “helping” the boys warm up at brookvale before a game. Wearing a suit. Flapping his arms, lapels and jacket wings. Goose.

If you’re training the team dress accordingly.

If Barrett is concerned about who his staff are, I’m sure he has the authority and power to get rid of them. Relax already. You even say Cartwright has been head of recruitment only since 24/10.... 6 weeks!! Relax.

They have contracts Blake, and Manly aren't cashed up like The Bulldogs and can just shell out 10's of thousands of dollars to pay someone out. We have to be realistic here mate. Also, Cartwright (aside from the other issues I stated) has been in control in a period where we have needed to, & attempted to win particular players, but have lost out. I'm relaxed, I just think he'd a dud, who would look MUCH better in a Penrith outfit.

You see the look on his face when his Panthers were crushing us? See the difference between Cartwright & Barrett? That's what you are defending.

I like the Citroens from the 60s or 70s that look like ufos and can be raised or lowered by the driver depending on the road profile. Probably useless but cool nonetheless with interesting curves.

So a bit like Cartwright in one sense (useless), but unlike him in another (cool).

My main memory is of him “helping” the boys warm up at brookvale before a game. Wearing a suit. Flapping his arms, lapels and jacket wings. Goose.

If you’re training the team dress accordingly.

I remember seeing Willie Peters running, kicking, pointing, revving up, and seeing Cartwright listlessly kicking a ball in a concentric circle to himself (yep, in a suit), while everyone around him got ready - LOL.

Not this again...
The truth can never be overstated. IMO the fact that he found Trent Barrett's dummy spit funny after a loss against his former team was very childish and nonchalant.. Sure in the big scheme of life it's an insignificant event. But at that very moment, the loss was gut renching for the coach, players and many of the fans.. So to sit there and find it amusing just shows lack of respect for his coach, the club and his position as an assistant coach.

Last edited:
Just watched the Roosters vs. Dragons Anzac Day game where Cartwright was Ricky Stuart's assistant in 2004. Did anyone see Cartwright? I won't make a statement until hopefully someone else has and says something. Thought's?

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
10 9 1 124 20
10 8 2 81 18
10 7 3 70 16
10 7 3 69 16
11 7 4 59 14
10 6 4 -10 14
11 6 5 107 12
11 6 5 -9 12