Juniors Discussion Thread

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Half time sg ball. Wests 14 manly 12. Apparently a lot of manly members down at 4 Pines from fan day which is good to see

I hate to say it but if we are still doing the local kids first then it will be one long season. The year we used all the Scone kids with the coach from there was pretty bad.

I hate to say it but if we are still doing the local kids first then it will be one long season. The year we used all the Scone kids with the coach from there was pretty bad.
You are right Daz,when you look at the recruiting this year it has changed completely.
There are a handful of Islander kids from west recruited to our Flegg side,but our Ball and Matthews sides are mainly from Qld,CRL,CC and locals and almost zero kids from out west.
I am not complaining or bagging it,but it does mean that we are from a size/physical standpoint outgunned a bit.
You can say all you want about the size of the fight in the dog,but when it comes to kids,giving away 10-15 kgs(or more)is asking a lot.
As long as we continue to get guys advancing through to the higher levels from each side every year it is fine.
We have got some really good talented kids coming through,but we don't have the sides stacked with bigger kids which means we have to expect a bit less from the lower age groups in terms of wins/losses.
Getting some to consistently progress through the system and we get a constant trickle through to the NRL squad is the endgame I believe.
It can work but we have to go back to the past when our junior sides were pretty low on the ladder with a few exceptions occasionally.

Penrith has had teams in the SG Ball GF 5 times in the last 10 years, so it’s sort of worked for them.

I know what you mean though Joe, you just need a couple, and from our 2019 losing GF side, I believe there are only four still at the club and all have played at least one 1st grade game.

Penrith has had teams in the SG Ball GF 5 times in the last 10 years, so it’s sort of worked for them.

I know what you mean though Joe, you just need a couple, and from our 2019 losing GF side, I believe there are only four still at the club and all have played at least one 1st grade game.
You are right,it has worked for Panthers.
They also have a very fortunate geographical and socio economic advantage.
Being in the western Sydney area,they have that massive Islander population that loves league.
Being in the Blue Mountains means they get that South Western catchment of NSW that is league mad as well.
We have to ship those kids in and many don't have much of a tie to our area(family/friends etc ..)
We have massive competition from Union etc...in our area as well.
The club has gone in a new direction which I suspect has been driven by what local members/supporters etc...have voiced to the club in meetings etc...to change the identity of Manly.
I believe the new direction can work,the Fulton's direction was well intentioned but probably didn't take into account supporters views.

I hope you are right Joe that the new direction can work, however, it’s going to take a massive amount of work by the club to get kids involved on the Peninsula, especially with their mum’s permission.

As you suggested, the Fulton’s concept was well intended, as they recognised a ‘thinner base’ of young players compared to Western Sydney, especially Pacifica players.

There is so much talent in Western Sydney and I’d love to see a comparison of Junior Registrations by region. I think we would be looking and thinking, ‘Holy Moly’.

There’s so much talent out west and young guys who aspire to play NRL, however, cannot get a chance at Penrith or Parramata, given the dearth of talent out there.

The Fulton’s concept to head west was purely a business decision based on the state of the Junior NRL teams on the Peninsula, and I believe their perception that the club needed another resource for more talent, and more talent is in the Western Suburbs.

Yes, I would, and I am sure all Manly fans would love to have the majority of the team born and bread locals, like Beaver, Tooves, the Trbojevic brothers and Parker and all the others who preceded them, or others who are at the club now. Unfortunately, it’s just not possible in this day and age, let alone in the past. Yes, there will be some young talent and we have to retain them, like Feledy.

The Blacktown Workers experiment is all part of it, trying to establish a fan base for Manly and Juniors in the Western Suburbs who would like to play for the club. Has it been successful? I doubt it, however, it’s saved the club a lot of money, as apart from the Top 30 contracted to Manly, Workers absorb all the costs and field a heap of teams from Seniors to Juniors.

I am sure there is lots of young talent on the Peninsula and the club just has to work it’s butt off to get them playing rugby league rather than Union, AFL or Football.

I think the major problem NRL and Union has is that mum’s (and dads to a degree) don’t like seeing their sons (152cm and 70Kgs) playing against other players (who are 189cm and 100kgs). It scares the crap out of them as to how ‘little Johnny’ could be hurt.

Just look at the video of the young South’s player’s try that went viral and look at the size of the opposition kids. It’s ridiculous!

I think the NSWRL rules allow for light weight kids to play down an age, however, there is no restriction on the upper weight level. Maybe I am wrong, however, I think until Under 16, there should be a maximum upper weight limit, i.e, 14s 85kgs, 15’s 90kgs..just as kids can play down a level, you have to play up a level.

Just my thoughts.

Wests had 6 boys who did a NRL preseason.
I hope you are right Joe that the new direction can work, however, it’s going to take a massive amount of work by the club to get kids involved on the Peninsula, especially with their mum’s permission.

As you suggested, the Fulton’s concept was well intended, as they recognised a ‘thinner base’ of young players compared to Western Sydney, especially Pacifica players.

There is so much talent in Western Sydney and I’d love to see a comparison of Junior Registrations by region. I think we wo

There’s so much talent out west and young guys who aspire to play NRL, however, cannot get a chance at Penrith or Parramata, given the dearth of talent out there.

The Fulton’s concept to head west was purely a business decision based on the state of the Junior NRL teams on the Peninsula, and I believe their perception that the club needed another resource for more talent, and more talent is in the Western Suburbs.

Yes, I would, and I am sure all Manly fans would love to have the majority of the team born and bread locals, like Beaver, Tooves, the Trbojevic brothers and Parker and all the others who preceded them, or others who are at the club now. Unfortunately, it’s just not possible in this day and age, let alone in the past. Yes, there will be some young talent and we have to retain them, like Feledy.

The Blacktown Workers experiment is all part of it, trying to establish a fan base for Manly and Juniors in the Western Suburbs who would like to play for the club. Has it been successful? I doubt it, however, it’s saved the club a lot of money, as apart from the Top 30 contracted to Manly, Workers absorb all the costs and field a heap of teams from Seniors to Juniors.

I am sure there is lots of young talent on the Peninsula and the club just has to work it’s butt off to get them playing rugby league rather than Union, AFL or Football.

I think the major problem NRL and Union has is that mum’s (and dads to a degree) don’t like seeing their sons (152cm and 70Kgs) playing against other players (who are 189cm and 100kgs). It scares the crap out of them as to how ‘little Johnny’ could be hurt.

Just look at the video of the young South’s player’s try that went viral and look at the size of the opposition kids. It’s ridiculous!

I think the NSWRL rules allow for light weight kids to play down an age, however, there is no restriction on the upper weight level. Maybe I am wrong, however, I think until Under 16, there should be a maximum upper weight limit, i.e, 14s 85kgs, 15’s 90kgs..just as kids can play down a level, you have to play up a level.

Just my thoughts.

Wests had 6 boys who did a NRL preseason.
2 players in wests have played NRL.
Wests outsize Manly all over the park.

Manly struggled with no big middles at all.
Unfortunately it's only going to be harder this week
St George are massive and have 6 Australian school boys.

Both wests & St George are red hot fav to win the SG ball comp.

It's plain and simple unfortunately.
Not enought big men in the middle who can get to there front and allow us a quick play the ball.
Our forwards we lucky to get over the advantage line.
That makes things hard when giving away 20-30kg each player up front

Laiafi Jackson and Munn are no lightweights at prop,(but I was expecting Tonga,Vandermade,Tito to be in the side somewhere to beef the pack up a bit at lock and the bench.
Guess we see if they stick to the same side or make some changes.
We should remember that we were leading up to early in the second half.The guys matched them for around 50 minutes.

From the highlights the young half back, the white haired centre who scored a barnstorming try and the left winger (Druzel?) showed some real promise.

It's great when are junior teams are successful. But is it really relevant to the success at NRL level?
I keep looking at Easts who have less juniors than us, and yet they are one of the perennial elite senior clubs. They achieve this by buying success. It starts by luring juniors from others area/states/nations and flows on to the NRL.
Unless we gain an owner with unlimited pockets we'll never be able to adopt this model.
We are lucky to live/represent a region that has the best beaches in Australia and surfing lures many of our youngsters. We also are strong in cricket and RU, so the talent pool is limited for RL which we know suits big kids.
I think we have done a good job this season with trying to re-build the Manly 'culture', so credit should go to our administrators and coaches. The major advantage Manly/northern beaches has over many other NRL clubs is the lifestyle. If the club can continue to push this aspect then we should be able to compete to lure talented players from other areas.

Still looks to be some talent and ability in the backs at least if the match report is any guide and again have Wayne Lampkin back in the fold to keep some type of a western connection going or what may seem practical .
Really can only think of local based players in recent times like Preston at the Dogs , Albert Hoppa at the Raiders and Luke Garner at the Panthers [ although like Jesse Ramiem ] , he has been gone for a while now who would have a fair rating but probably would not be in general contention for the i st grade Manly side .
Just to of course wait and see with Sam and Latu Fainu .
Certainly helps to have competitive and promising juniors on a regular basis but still tends to balance out at a senior level with the general distribution of talent and cap issues Footy smarts club administrations also fairly important obviously
Just have to see how this general direction goes but no big deal if competition winning junior outfits continue to be on the limited scale into the indefinite future .
As long as there is just a bit of positivity in the make up of the Manly junior squads ongoing .

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
6 4 2 53 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8