Kaeo Weekes

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Agreed. Wherever possible it is better to promote from within rather than recruit from outside.
Just look who our 'big' signings were this season: Kelma, Johns, Condon, Woods...
Arthur was a clever acquisition as was Lodge, although his injury ruined it.
But we lost a lot of young talent that we had been developing for years, which seems dumb to me. Of course, not all juniors develop into good first graders. The jury is still out on The Shoe, although even his greater supporter would surely agree his salary is way too high.

I'm assuming you're referring to me. Yep I think highly of the Shu's skill set. If he finally takes control of the game and stops waiting for opportunities, he will be well worth the money. The skills are there. At this stage I understand the reservations. I guess in this instance the club took a gamble that this kid could be one of our very best. We've seen glimpses of that, but you're right, at this stage he's not worth the money. But remember they paid a million to Latu Fainu as a 16 year old. Crazy thing, they then let him go before he's even had a bite at first grade. Its all a gamble. I think the Shu will get there. I think Latu will get there. We'll soon see if those gambles pay dividends, though it will be Wests who gain with Latu..

I'd love to see him get a chunk of games, in the same position (even wing) in the NRL. Not thrown from position to position, limited time, when the teams struggling for form.

Don't get me wrong - he has a years extension, but appears to have been told he can explore alternatives, if he thinks he'll get more playing time elsewhere.

I hope he stays, and fights it out with Jaxson Paulo for that number 5 wing spot.

The way Melbourne used Faalogo on the weekend is how manly shoulve brought Weekes into first grade. Hes another young fullback with electric speed and footwork and he was able to shine on the wing.

I'd love to see him get a chunk of games, in the same position (even wing) in the NRL. Not thrown from position to position, limited time, when the teams struggling for form.

Don't get me wrong - he has a years extension, but appears to have been told he can explore alternatives, if he thinks he'll get more playing time elsewhere.

I hope he stays, and fights it out with Jaxson Paulo for that number 5 wing spot.
get what you're sayin Ryan, but in these modern days of NRL you gota hit the ground running from the outset. Kaeo went well in the trials, then got a bench spot for a few games, that didn't turn out so well but got some credibility back with the Bankstown boys later on. But that's about the extent of it unfortunately.

I have no idea if he is staying or going, but next year we're on track to have the following backline players: Tom T, Garrick, Koula, Saab, Parker, Talau, Paulo, Tuipulotu, Vaega and Weekes. Add in Brooks/Schuster and DCE in the halves.

I imagine that in the unlikely case all are fit, Tom, Saab, Koula and Garrick are automatic starters. So that leaves 6 players competing for the remaining starting spot in the back line... a good problem for the club to have, maybe not so much if you're a player who is fighting for that spot.

imagine that in the unlikely case all are fit, Tom, Saab, Koula and Garrick are automatic starters. So that leaves 6 players competing for the remaining starting spot in the back line... a good problem for the club to have, maybe not so much if you're a player who is fighting for that spot.
That leaves a centre spot up for grabs , I think Garrick is a better winger than centre , Parker probably is top of list as been shown in being selected so far this season. Weekes has a battle on his hands to try and get ahead of the others with more experience, if Weekes stays he will need to put in a great pre-season to force his way in

Whenever I've seen Weekes play 1st Grade, I've thought he was under performing.
He didn't make any plays that made an impact, and he made bad decisions in attack.
I think there'll be a couple of other players that should be selected ahead of him for 1st Grade.
All the players that thumped the Tigers in Round 27 at Brookie should be playing together a lot more.
I've been very impressed with Harper since his return to 1st Grade.
Tolu Koula was outstanding, Jake Arthur has been a brilliant addition. Toafofoa Sipley and Haumole Olakau'atu have been ripping up the middle of the field and off loading.
Ethan Bullemor & Aaron Woods have been carrying the ball up and making very effective tackles.
With Josh Schuster on the bench, Manly's attack flowed with ad lib passing and confident running.
Every single Manly player in the Rnd 27 game deserve a special mention for their impact on the game.
Special congratulations to the mighty Jake Trbojevic on his 200th 1st Grade game.
Go Manly!!!!!!!!

Weekes can just run along now. Seriously, how many opportunities do we give a talent before making a decision? I cannot remember an upcoming player given as many opportunities as Weekes has had. I wish we had the luxury of holding onto all these potentials but, happy for the club to be ruthless and say no. He may go on elsewhere, but i don't want another Slipper clogging up the list thanks.

I cannot remember an upcoming player given as many opportunities as Weekes has had.
I can't tell if you are kidding?

He has started 5 NRL games, between two different positions. Had a further 7 bench appearances.

I personally dont mind if he moves on as I dont really see a path to first grade for him atm. That said more than happy to keep him for a year.

But seriously can't remember another player given more opportunities...

I can't tell if you are kidding?

He has started 5 NRL games, between two different positions. Had a further 7 bench appearances.

I personally dont mind if he moves on as I dont really see a path to first grade for him atm. That said more than happy to keep him for a year.

But seriously can't remember another player given more opportunities...
I'm not sure if I am misunderstanding your view. To spell it out... I think Weekes has been given more than ample opportunity to stake a claim in first grade. I don't mind holding him for a further year, but no sleep lost if he moves on.

I'm not sure if I am misunderstanding your view. To spell it out... I think Weekes has been given more than ample opportunity to stake a claim in first grade. I don't mind holding him for a further year, but no sleep lost if he moves on.
Fair enough, I disagree he has been given ample opportunity.

Weekes has great skills & plenty of speed, hopefully he can gain a little more weight & learn from this season & move forward. He filled in here & there, but I believe he's a centre.
Hopefully he has a great career whether it be at Manly or elsewhere.

Weekes has great skills & plenty of speed, hopefully he can gain a little more weight & learn from this season & move forward. He filled in here & there, but I believe he's a centre.
Hopefully he has a great career whether it be at Manly or elsewhere.
I think he will do better at a different club. I think the timing of when he was brought in, wasnt ideal since he was expected to perform miracles in Turbos absence and with a finals spot on the line.
He will thrive better if he was somewhere where finals football is not expected and was given a full season without as much pressure. That new fullback for the Tigers seemed to have a lot of freedom without much pressure on him.
I observed a few of those games that Weekes was playing, Cooper Johns was the 5/8, so defensively he was constantly under the pump

As i said in my original post... I don't know a player who has been given more opportunity for such little return than Weekes. Can you name one?
A player who has not broken through at 21 with one full season of reserve grade and 5 NRL starts.

Literally hundreds.

Gutherson played 5 first grade games over 3 years (injurys played a part) before going to Parra and establishing himself.

Glenn Stewart debuted in 2003 and played 2, 5, 5 and 7 games over the next 4 years before finally establishing himself in 2007.

Albert Hopoate debuted in 2020 with 5 games then didnt get any games till his 7 in 2022 and only this year established himself.

Ben Trbojevic has had 26 games over 3 seasons and is only now starting to look an established first grader.

Jason Saab had 3 games in 2019, 4 in 2020 before establishing himself at Manly.

You could argue Jackson Hastings had 5 years in and out of first grade before moving to the UK and developing a consistant game.

Shaun Lane went through three clubs 15-17 before establishing himself at Manly in 2018.

Jakob Arthur is now 4 seasons and 28 games into his career and has not locked down a first grade spot.

Any of the above after 5 starts you could argue had offered very little and were unsure if they'd progress. And I've listed mainly established players.

Point is, very few NRL players dominate from day 1, now will Weekes kick on? Who knows but his career progression is not unlike many before him.

A player who has not broken through at 21 with one full season of reserve grade and 5 NRL starts.

Literally hundreds.

Gutherson played 5 first grade games over 3 years (injurys played a part) before going to Parra and establishing himself.

Glenn Stewart debuted in 2003 and played 2, 5, 5 and 7 games over the next 4 years before finally establishing himself in 2007.

Albert Hopoate debuted in 2020 with 5 games then didnt get any games till his 7 in 2022 and only this year established himself.

Ben Trbojevic has had 26 games over 3 seasons and is only now starting to look an established first grader.

Jason Saab had 3 games in 2019, 4 in 2020 before establishing himself at Manly.

You could argue Jackson Hastings had 5 years in and out of first grade before moving to the UK and developing a consistant game.

Shaun Lane went through three clubs 15-17 before establishing himself at Manly in 2018.

Jakob Arthur is now 4 seasons and 28 games into his career and has not locked down a first grade spot.

Any of the above after 5 starts you could argue had offered very little and were unsure if they'd progress. And I've listed mainly established players.

Point is, very few NRL players dominate from day 1, now will Weekes kick on? Who knows but his career progression is not unlike many before him.
Even Jonathan Thurston took a few years to crack the big time. Was considered too small and had a heap of shoulder reconstructions.

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8
8 4 4 -16 8
8 4 4 -60 8