Keith Titmuss RIP

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I would think heatstroke is a big problem for the club and possibly some ex staff

How does this happen with all the sports science players have today?

Cause of sudden death for rising NRL star Keith Titmuss revealed​

A young up-and-coming Manly Sea Eagles player collapsed during pre-season training and died hours later. Now we know why.
February 5, 2024 - 11:49AM

Manly Sea Eagles player Keith Titmuss was suffering from heatstroke when he collapsed at training and later died, a coronial inquest has been told.​

The 20-year-old lost consciousness during pre-season training at the team’s headquarters on Sydney’s northern beaches on November 23, 2020.
He was rushed to hospital but he was pronounced dead later that day.
Mr Titmuss was on the verge of making his NRL debut at the time of his death, which left his family and fellow players devastated and desperate for answers.
On Monday, Lidcombe Coroners Court heard a team of medical experts had independently concluded the player had been suffering from heat exhaustion when he suddenly collapsed.

Keith Titmuss collapsed and died after a pre-season training session with Manly. Picture: Facebook
The team had been involved in the first pre-season training session of the year on the morning of November 23 when Mr Titmuss “was observed to be in distress”.
He was thought to be enduring cramps and his teammates helped him stretch for a few minutes.
However, counsel assisting the coroner Adam Casselden said the 20-year-old player’s condition “deteriorated” and he became “confused and disorientated”.
He said Mr Titmuss was unable to respond to the coaching staff or any of the other players and began to suffer a seizure.

The seizure lasted nearly seven minutes and culminated in Mr Titmuss emitting “an involuntary howl”.
When paramedics arrived at the training facility, they observed the 20-year-old had a temperature of more than 41C.
“I didn’t believe it. I’d never seen a temperature like this before,” one of the paramedics said.
Despite his temperature, the inquest was told no one used ice packs or other measures to cool Mr Titmuss. Instead, efforts were focused on his seizure and associated symptoms.
The inquest will hear from several medical experts who will assess the circumstances of Mr Titmuss’ death and the response to his collapse.
In summarising their findings, Mr Casselden said the evidence “leaves no real doubt that Keith suffered exertional heatstroke”.

The inquest was told he was much loved and respected. Picture: Brett Costello
Deputy State Coroner Derek Lee will also assess whether coaching staff were adequately trained in assessing heat exhaustion and whether NRL policies are appropriate.
The response of a sports doctor called to the site and paramedics will also be examined in an effort to learn from Mr Titmuss’s untimely death.
The inquest will hear from Manly Sea Eagles head of football John Bonasera as well as former high-performance chief Don Singe and assistant coach Michael Monaghan.
Mr Titmuss’s former teammates Josh Schuster, Moses Suli and Sione Fainu are also expected to give evidence.
The inquest is expected to run for a week and a half.

I agree. A finding of death by heatstroke is a shock and the inquiry won't end with this inquest. No-one even tried to cool him down, it says. An awful finding from the club's point of view.

"Deputy State Coroner Derek Lee will also assess whether coaching staff were adequately trained in assessing heat exhaustion and whether NRL policies are appropriate.
The response of a sports doctor called to the site and paramedics will also be examined in an effort to learn from Mr Titmuss’s untimely death."

I would think heatstroke is a big problem for the club and possibly some ex staff

How does this happen with all the sports science players have today?

Cause of sudden death for rising NRL star Keith Titmuss revealed​

A young up-and-coming Manly Sea Eagles player collapsed during pre-season training and died hours later. Now we know why.
February 5, 2024 - 11:49AM

Manly Sea Eagles player Keith Titmuss was suffering from heatstroke when he collapsed at training and later died, a coronial inquest has been told.​

The 20-year-old lost consciousness during pre-season training at the team’s headquarters on Sydney’s northern beaches on November 23, 2020.
He was rushed to hospital but he was pronounced dead later that day.
Mr Titmuss was on the verge of making his NRL debut at the time of his death, which left his family and fellow players devastated and desperate for answers.
On Monday, Lidcombe Coroners Court heard a team of medical experts had independently concluded the player had been suffering from heat exhaustion when he suddenly collapsed.

Keith Titmuss collapsed and died after a pre-season training session with Manly. Picture: Facebook
The team had been involved in the first pre-season training session of the year on the morning of November 23 when Mr Titmuss “was observed to be in distress”.
He was thought to be enduring cramps and his teammates helped him stretch for a few minutes.
However, counsel assisting the coroner Adam Casselden said the 20-year-old player’s condition “deteriorated” and he became “confused and disorientated”.
He said Mr Titmuss was unable to respond to the coaching staff or any of the other players and began to suffer a seizure.

The seizure lasted nearly seven minutes and culminated in Mr Titmuss emitting “an involuntary howl”.
When paramedics arrived at the training facility, they observed the 20-year-old had a temperature of more than 41C.
“I didn’t believe it. I’d never seen a temperature like this before,” one of the paramedics said.
Despite his temperature, the inquest was told no one used ice packs or other measures to cool Mr Titmuss. Instead, efforts were focused on his seizure and associated symptoms.
The inquest will hear from several medical experts who will assess the circumstances of Mr Titmuss’ death and the response to his collapse.
In summarising their findings, Mr Casselden said the evidence “leaves no real doubt that Keith suffered exertional heatstroke”.

The inquest was told he was much loved and respected. Picture: Brett Costello
Deputy State Coroner Derek Lee will also assess whether coaching staff were adequately trained in assessing heat exhaustion and whether NRL policies are appropriate.
The response of a sports doctor called to the site and paramedics will also be examined in an effort to learn from Mr Titmuss’s untimely death.
The inquest will hear from Manly Sea Eagles head of football John Bonasera as well as former high-performance chief Don Singe and assistant coach Michael Monaghan.
Mr Titmuss’s former teammates Josh Schuster, Moses Suli and Sione Fainu are also expected to give evidence.
The inquest is expected to run for a week and a half.

That is really concerning, I thought that rules and guidelines were brought in after the Danny Shepherd situation many years ago.

Lloyd Perrett had a similar response and fortunately he is still with us
Wasn't Lloyd Perett's pre-season heat-stroke and seizure during pre-season training for the 2018 season? That would make it a full two years before Keith's incident. You'd think the club and the training staff would have been well prepared after that. Such an awful thing to have happened, and devastating for everyone involved.

Club statement.

All I will say is I stopped reading when someone considered it appropriate to have the words climate change.

A very Sad day.
That statement does slightly rub the wrong way, as in are they trying to deflect the blame onto climate change?

Anyway we'll see how this all unfolds.

I agree. A finding of death by heatstroke is a shock and the inquiry won't end with this inquest. No-one even tried to cool him down, it says. An awful finding from the club's point of view.

"Deputy State Coroner Derek Lee will also assess whether coaching staff were adequately trained in assessing heat exhaustion and whether NRL policies are appropriate.
The response of a sports doctor called to the site and paramedics will also be examined in an effort to learn from Mr Titmuss’s untimely death."

As a security guard that looks after the security of a Gov building and the safety on its staff
Guards complete a first aid course every 3 years and first aid given is critical to a persons medical condition and recovery . The Cool down procedure is a standard first aid treatment .
The inquiry is not finished as yet and so it would be unfair to be critical of any one
This is a tragedy for the Titmuss family, the Manly club and all Manly People

Not an impressive statement by the club ('the club' aka 'Manly Media'). All about damage control already.

"That evidence provides the Coroner’s Court with an important opportunity to enhance player safety and welfare, particularly in this era of climate change."

This bit, implying that it is up the Coroner's Court to look after player safety, is particularly self-serving. Manly was the kid's employer. As I noted above, there's plenty more to play out in this awfully sad scenario.

Club statement.

All I will say is I stopped reading when someone considered it appropriate to have the words climate change.

A very Sad day.
Climate change is real, but the club should not have referenced it in that statement. It is a clanger.

Two steps forwards with coms and a million steps back.

Yes games and training are being conducted in hotter than ever weather but this is not the time or the place to discuss it.

Bozo is 100% right that it is important to wait and see

+40degs or -20degs, whatever, it's still the clubs responsibility to provide a safe workplace.
But yes, as above, let's wait and see.

Two steps forwards with coms and a million steps back.

Yes games and training are being conducted in hotter than ever weather but this is not the time or the place to discuss it.

Bozo is 100% right that it is important to wait and see

I totally agree @Isz, you're being kind with only saying "a million steps back".

I've been a supporter of the Club for over 38 years both as a young child and now in a financial capacity as an adult.

I've endured some of the most inept performances by players on the field, staff and management off the field however, the statement released today was an abhorrence in both the use of words and message conveyed.

It is revolting, insulting and quite frankly, arrogant.

I'll be calling the club to convey my feelings and also asking them to retract the statement, with admission, hopefully clarifying their intent, rather than their ineptitude.

I hope they DO NOT try and remove this page OR "update" it, it will be too late as I know two media outlets are already planning to make that idiotic claim front and centre of articles, as they should.

I can't believe what I just read.

Disgraceful and hopefully certain posters who have the ear of the Club make it known that they have made a fool of themselves AND us, the supporters, too.

wow, just wow. Out of all the people who check a statement prior to release, it’s hard to believe none of them read it how I did.

Wether the club is found at fault or not, this statement is painfully inept.

Way to make a terrible situation worse, seems to be our forte sometimes

This club is once again a joke, not professional in any way and completely inept.

Disgusting that this was allowed to happen and that club statement is one of the worst things i’ve ever read.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
8 5 2 39 11
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8