• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Sue, i think you will find the football field is where Brett wants to be.

It will be a release from all the tention and stress.
It will be the least of his worries when he is playing.

The tigers game last year was his comeback game and he scored 3 tries.

DailyTerrorgraphHater link said:
[quote author=The Gronk link=topic=182577.msg253797#msg253797 date=1268131136]
snake might chime in with a few long kicks although the downtown rule doesnt favour a fullback kicking. 

hey gronk - can you explain?
[/quote]

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the new rule means the Kicker needs to put all other players onside prior to the tackle being made.

If Lyon gets pressured on his kicks and we can't get enough yardage (see Orford, Matt), I see a long Monay night ahead of us. We had major struggles at times last year when the opposition bulls-eyed on Ox's kicks.

The kicking wont be a problem at all.

The only reason Ox did so much of the kicking before was either Des' game plan or Ox being a hog. I don't know which.

The others are all much better kickers & hopefully will share it around rather than having A kicker.

Lyon, Ballin, Brett, Foran, Glenn, Matai, Bailey, Seu Seu.

Where's the problem?

Teams normally have first receiver to do the kicking - which is why Orford did the job. Lyon, Foran and Ballin will share the job between them.

On selections, maybe Des has information that we don't, like who can kick, what style of game we are playing etc. There is an even a chance he knows what he is doing!

Susan, Brett's head will be fine.  Remember he came back last year and played very well until injured, and that was just as the stuff was all over the papers.  Having sat in court with him and listened to the 'evidence' so far, I really don't think he has much to worry about.  All good really.  He'll do really well on Monday and reclaim what is rightfully his, the Australian No 1 jumper.  The pessimists on this site can't see that we will be playing footie too.  We will pressure their kickers too.  It's a game with two sides playing each other remember.  Imo we have the better side and will win, even with pressure on the kicker.   

Matabele link said:
[quote author=Garts link=topic=182577.msg253796#msg253796 date=1268130834]
Agree, at least we will find out early and can correct it.

Praying Des brings in Hodkinson on Monday and Foran to centre. If not I hope Forans kicking practice has helped.
 We all know Mr Risk averse won't make a major change until we've been howling for it for 8 weeks.  This team he has named really concerns me as it is rubbish and we know we're stuck with it for the first ten weeks, barring injury.  
[/quote]

Luckily Des didn't listen to all the experts "howling" in 2008 about how Lyon was a crap 6

clontaago link said:
[quote author=DailyTerrorgraphHater link=topic=182577.msg253883#msg253883 date=1268179861]
[quote author=The Gronk link=topic=182577.msg253797#msg253797 date=1268131136]
snake might chime in with a few long kicks although the downtown rule doesnt favour a fullback kicking. 

hey gronk - can you explain?
[/quote]

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the new rule means the Kicker needs to put all other players onside prior to the tackle being made.

[/quote]

If you are ahead of the kicker you cant go forward of the play the ball until the ball has gone over your head.  So slinging it back to the fullback to roost it will slow your chase down.  I can see a lot of kicking out of hooker going on. 

Fluffy link said:
Its definatly a concern Sue but reports from the trials are his injury problems are behind him and the speed is back
  That's the "official" word.  In reality his knees are buggered and will require nursing through the rest of what will be a shortened career.

Thinking more about the kicking game, consider last seasons wunderchild Soward.  The main attribute to his game was pinpoint accurate field kicking that nailed teams in their own half.  None more so than in their game against us. 

Who in our Round 1 17 is capable of doing this? 

Ballan will be doing more of the kicking this year with changes to the downtown rule. Lyon has been kicking for the last 2 seasons  and Foran has been working with Joey alot over the off season so he will be up to it.

I'm pretty sure they said on FOX the other night that the major  rule change was if you're ahead of the ruck the kicker can't run down field and put you on side

Soward showed on Friday night how important a kicker is. His pinpoint kicks bogged Parra down on their line and they struggled to get any decent field position. Their chase was also very good. We need to be on top of this part of the game. That is where Orford was generally pretty crap last year a lot of the time.

Canteen Worker link said:
Soward showed on Friday night how important a kicker is. His pinpoint kicks bogged Parra down on their line and they struggled to get any decent field position. Their chase was also very good. We need to be on top of this part of the game.
  No kidding.  But will we?  Interesting he kept kicking dead to nullify Hayne.  I'd imagine sides will do that against us this year - we should practice some trick plays off 20m restarts.

Matabele link said:
[quote author=Fluffy link=topic=182577.msg253872#msg253872 date=1268176076]
Its definatly a concern Sue but reports from the trials are his injury problems are behind him and the speed is back
  That's the "official" word.  In reality his knees are buggered and will require nursing through the rest of what will be a shortened career.
[/quote]

The "official" reports i was told came from fans who watched not Peter Peters or the like so its definatly back. Whether it lasts is another question.

With all this pre game hysteria about our kicking game, or lack of, what did everyone think about last nights effort ?

Lyon started a bit shakily with too much depth on his bombs / cross field kicks but he soon found his range and had a pretty good game with the boot I thought, both long and short. Ballin's couple of efforts out of dummy half were good and we probably could have done with some more of that. Foran's attempts were limited, but his couple of grubbers were Orford like and pretty disappointing. All in all I'd say our kicking game was pretty solid and I'd rate it a 7 or 8 out of 10 with good basis for improvement.

I will say one thing though. How farkin good was it to see dropouts going 40 or 50m on the fly instead of those pathetic 20m dribbling efforts the bandy legged dwarf was dishing up last year. For the life of me I can't figure out why Orford was persisted with as dropout kicker when last night proved there were way better options available to us.

lyons kicking was fantastic.happy to admit he needs to be at 5/8 on that form.foran was ok but he is not a halfback,simple as that.he runs and hits and there has never ever been a manufactured top line half i can remember.if there is one i would like to be acquainted with his name.maybe berrigan got close.foran is a dallas johnson clone in my book.play him like that.

foran getting suspended would force haslers hand.may be a blessing.hodkinson might not be the answer but lets find out ffs.

we are no hope sunday with injuries and suspensions.lets try out the kid.

i can tell you one thing for certian.we will not be winning games out wide now.our only hope is playing tough and using ball around the ruck with watmough,rose and stewart.that requires ball players.at the moment we have one.make it two and see how we go.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4