Killer announces his retirement

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Like everyone, I'm sad to see Killer go, but you can't play a physical game like rugby league forever.

Good to see him make the decision on his terms.

I, for one, will be at Brookie for his final home game to show my appreciation for everything Killer has done for our great club.

Really mixed emotions here. When I saw the announcement this morning I had a real lump in my throat but then when I let it settle in I realised I'm glad he's going out on his terms. I think he will lift even higher knowing he only has a few months left, whilst not sure he could keep it up for another year and a half.

Killer is my favourite player. I cannot speak highly enough of him as a player. His skills as a centre are beyond any centre Ive ever seen (I'm too young to have seen bozo) and what stands out to me is his calmness under pressure.

I cannot speak highly enough of him as a person. Just to share a story of Jamie to you all. My son met him in origin camp (2010??) and my son was 4 years old. And was a child who didn't gravitate to people he didn't know. He loved Jamie and thought he knew him, Jamie could not have been nicer.

Fast forward a couple of years later I finally got to meet Jamie at Mudgee. I took a photo of him and my son (Zane) for him to sign. He was lovely and I told him how much Zane loved him and thought he was his best mate. He had a laugh and we had a chat. A bit later I was going to leave and I went over to say goodbye and lovely to meet you. He said 'make sure you tell Zane I said hi'

The word legend is bandied about too much, Jamie is a legend.

I feel so lucky to have had this guy play for both St.Helens and Manly.

The sheer thought of having a player of his caliber at Saints is beyond a dream today. I was probably too young to understand how much of a coup he was for the club, but I was not too young to understand just how awesome a player he was.

Quite simply; the best I have ever seen play the game and the best centre of his generation, if not all time.

Will forever be in my all-time 13, and a player to tell the grandkids about.

Mmmm
As a fan and thinking what I have contributed to the club compared to Jamie makes you feel very inadequate

I think some of his most telling traits is how over the last 2 years of internal conflict he has been the ultimate club man despite being the most senior leader as he refusrd to join the bagging of the club by others

He would make any best team of any era and be selected by fans and peers alike

I am open to any suggestions on how ee as fans we can recognise him publicly as a champion

What ever it is I am in

I feel so lucky to have had this guy play for both St.Helens and Manly.

The sheer thought of having a player of his caliber at Saints is beyond a dream today. I was probably too young to understand how much of a coup he was for the club, but I was not too young to understand just how awesome a player he was.

Quite simply; the best I have ever seen play the game and the best centre of his generation, if not all time.

Will forever be in my all-time 13, and a player to tell the grandkids about.
Lovely words about out wonderful Captain. I am sure we can all relate to what you are saying about him.

A great career capped off with two premierships. I'm glad he has chosen this year as his last. Better to go out a champion while you're still playing well. Even this year it is clear that he is starting to get a bit past his best.

I've been wrestling with it all day. On one hand the guy has been amazing player one of our great club captains and players.
I remember the anticipation when we had news
Pouring in from all angles he wanted to come to us from parra and then they played their hand and forced him to try Penrith and everywhere before forcing him to England and then him being signed.
The hype at that time waiting for Oxford, being surprised with bell, getting Lyon and rebuilding from the Ne days. It was one of the great moments of manly history.

He was signed and playing so quickly and from game one he impressed, being straight into it and living to his hype. He has been a clean skin and an amazing person to watch out there.

On the other hand it's time. I think a lot of respect has been shown to him. He hasn't tried to play on too long and has been shown a lot more respect than say Gifty.

I'll be sad to see him and his calm, yet flushed cheek demeanor

Anyway it both sucks and works at the same time, him moving on opens up the leadership road as well as opportunity for others and perhaps means we can get all the wrinkles out of the new line up, the. Gets us ready to move towards the next iteration

APOLOGY IN ADVANCE FOR WHAT WILL FOLLOW

I'm going to get a little Killer retirement truther. I was just reading the espn.com.au article on him and something occurred to me. The story in the press the last couple of weeks was about him wanting to play on, with direct quotes to that effect. Now Jamie has said he'll be retiring and had made his mind up for a few weeks, and that Baz and Ferris wanted him to play on, yada yada. Now on first reading of those quotes yesterday a name immediately stuck out as being missing (or names), being those that actually drive the personnel decisions at the club. I'm of the opinion that the powers that be told him that extra year wasn't coming and gave him the chance to go out like this, as though on the surface it was his decision. I think, and we can probably all agree, that Bozo is not one for nostalgia (unless there is a job that can go to a family member). It may well be the case that this is all his decision - I don't have that access, and it really doesn't matter in the long run as the timing is right, but it just seemed a little fishy in light of what we'd been reading over the past few weeks.

Anyway, Killer has been my second favourite guy to watch over the decade of dominance (Ox #1). I still remember those games when he first joined against Parra and he seemed to find the line every game and filthy grub Eel fans would show their complete lack of... well... dignity/decorum... well class in general.

Last edited:
You could well be right ... the same thought re Bozo crossed my mind ... ruthless

The emotional meeting when Jamie Lyon told his teammates he was going to retire
April 27, 2016 4:48pm
Jon GeddesManly Daily
6fefbc32b808c46e81abbffe08dc9c27

Steve Matai with Jamie Lyon after the Manly skipper announced his retirement from the NRL at the end of the 2016 season. Picture: Brett Costello
SEA Eagles skipper Jamie Lyon was in the team’s Newcastle hotel prior to the Anzac Day game with the Knights when he made the bombshell announcement to the other players that he was blowing fulltime on his amazing rugby league career.

After 284 NRL games so far, and two premierships with the Sea Eagles in 2008 and 2011, the champion centre was going to retire at the end of this season.

“Before we got on the bus we had a team meeting and Baz (coach Trent Barrett) said ‘Killer’ had an announcement to make,” said fellow Sea Eagles stalwart Steve Matai.

“ ‘Killer’ said he was going to hang up the boots after this year.

“It was a pretty emotional time, Baz got a bit teary and I think all the boys stepped up for him on Monday.”

Matai and Lyon are not just teammates but close friends who played in the backline together in Manly’s 2008 and 2011 grand final sides.

v1

Side by side they have experienced the highs and lows, the agony and the ecstasy at the club they both love over the past decade.

And it was appropriate that Matai paid tribute to Lyon yesterday.

“I was always Killer’s other centre and I love that,” Matai said.

“Killer is a champion bloke, a champion guy off the field and probably one of the best players I have ever played with.”

Matai said Lyon’s imminent departure would be a massive loss for the club.

“I was a bit sad to see my centre partner go at the end of this year … I’m very happy for him that he has made the decision now and he can just focus on his footy.”

“It is up to us now to send him out now on the best way we know and that’s by hopefully giving him a (premiership) ring,” Matai said.

Lyon, Matai, Daly Cherry-Evans and Jamie Buhrer are the survivors from the 2011 premiers who are still at the Sea Eagles.

Next season Matai and fullback Brett Stewart will be the two stalwarts left who have been at the club for over 10 years.

“Me and ‘Snake’ have one year to go on our current contracts and we’ll see how that all goes,” Matai said.

“Hopefully we can keep playing and hopefully we can stay here as well.”
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...e/news-story/b16491fd1afef2dc80bd550fa047b57e

APOLOGY IN ADVANCE FOR WHAT WILL FOLLOW

I'm going to get a little Killer retirement truther. I was just reading the espn.com.au article on him and something occurred to me. The story in the press the last couple of weeks was about him wanting to play on, with direct quotes to that effect. Now Jamie has said he'll be retiring and had made his mind up for a few weeks, and that Baz and Ferris wanted him to play on, yada yada. Now on first reading of those quotes yesterday a name immediately stuck out as being missing (or names), being those that actually drive the personnel decisions at the club. I'm of the opinion that the powers that be told him that extra year wasn't coming and gave him the chance to go out like this, as though on the surface it was his decision. I don't think, and we can probably all agree, that Bozo is not one for nostalgia (unless there is a job that can go to a family member). It may well be the case that this is all his decision - I don't have that access, and it really doesn't matter in the long run as the timing is right, but it just seemed a little fishy in light of what we'd been reading over the past few weeks.

Anyway, Killer has been my second favourite guy to watch over the decade of dominance (Ox #1). I still remember those games when he first joined against Parra and he seemed to find the line every game and filthy grub Eel fans would show their complete lack of... well... dignity/decorum... well class in general.

Loobs. I think you've hit the nail (or is that pen) on the head. Thinking the same myself. But I still think its the right decision for Lyon to make. He'll go out champion, one of our all time greats. And he's too nice a guy to allow any implication that he was pushed in his statement. Always the gentleman.

I know this is Lyon's moment but I'm a bit jealous of Jamie in this photo.
Seriously girls - and boys -, how cute is Stevie's smile.
Allright. Back in my box.
Great pic of two greats.

agree with you nicci

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8