Laurie Daley supports Matai tackle as legit

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Napper said:
From 'whats the buzz' column

RON Coote was the best cover defender I've seen on a football field. To give you an idea how good he was, the tackle Scott Sattler made in Penrith's 2003 grand final victory was what Coote used to do almost every week.The former Test captain has firm views on THAT Steve Matai tackle on George Burgess last weekend. "I would have sent him straight off," says Coote, who also served on the judiciary for a decade."They say it was an accident and his arm bounced off the ball. The fact is Burgess is a head taller than him and he had to jump up to get him - he's a repeat offender."

It's scary that people with clear prejudices like Coote is showing here can get selected into positions of authority like being on the judiciary for a decade.

The logic is confounding. His prime expressed argument for sending off Matai is founded on the belief that if you're taller you can attack the head of an opponent, but if you are shorter you can't. Clearly this is nonsense.

His only other argument for sending off Matai is that "he's a repeat offender". Clearly this shows he does not judge each incident on its merits.

His emotions against Matai totally cloud his judgement and befuddle his logic, so that he grasps at nonsense to support his prejudices. That Coote played for the exact same club as Burgess is no coincidence.

Rex said:
Napper said:
From 'whats the buzz' column

RON Coote was the best cover defender I've seen on a football field. To give you an idea how good he was, the tackle Scott Sattler made in Penrith's 2003 grand final victory was what Coote used to do almost every week.The former Test captain has firm views on THAT Steve Matai tackle on George Burgess last weekend. "I would have sent him straight off," says Coote, who also served on the judiciary for a decade."They say it was an accident and his arm bounced off the ball. The fact is Burgess is a head taller than him and he had to jump up to get him - he's a repeat offender."

It's scary that people with clear prejudices like Coote is showing here can get selected into positions of authority like being on the judiciary for a decade.

The logic is confounding. His prime expressed argument for sending off Matai is founded on the belief that if you're taller you can attack the head of an opponent, but if you are shorter you can't. Clearly this is nonsense.

His only other argument for sending off Matai is that "he's a repeat offender". Clearly this shows he does not judge each incident on its merits.

His emotions against Matai totally cloud his judgement and befuddle his logic, so that he grasps at nonsense to support his prejudices. That Coote played for the exact same club as Burgess is no coincidence.

A perfect example of why judiciary panel members should not be ex-players who've had too many knocks to the head. Astounding prejudice from an ex panel member and illustrates how flawed the system is.

Did they wheel Coote out because of some sort of marketing plan with Jurassic Park 3D, can't see any other reason to wheel out the old dinosaur

Why ask a covering defender about a guy that makes front on hits as well

I don't think Matai jumped up at all to make the tackle. In fact I think both Matai and Burgess shortened their stances for maximum power so I don't know how Coote has observed that Matai had jumped.

But Ron Coote has vindicated Toovey's decision not to challenge the charge. The fact that Matai was charged concerns me because it felt like someone was out to get Matai.

Coote can hardly talk. I remember a reserve grade match at Brookvale (April 81) when he was the Steggler's reserve grade coach. The word around the ground was that the Goosters players were instructed to take out Manly's then reserve grade captain, Bruce Walker. Walker was gone after about 15 minutes. From memory he needed assistance off the ground. The Goosters won.

Ronnie was good, and he lent his name to some good rhyming slang, but the game has changed a lot since Ronnie's day. Was Ronnie as critical of the outright thuggery that his team mates in the 70's regularly participated in ??

I think NSW want Jorge, and why wouldn't they? He was awesome tonight. This may save him from a charge and media assault hopefully. Not that he should be getting either anyway.

Maybe so many who support other teams have it in for Mattai because he is such a weapon for us. They probably don't even look or care to look at the tackle/hit etc that he is in strife over. It has become too easy and familiar for them to jump on the anti Mattai bandwagon.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6