League v Union

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I believe there are some aspects of union that league could consider:
1. Short-arm penalties. This is for trivial infringements (as most league penalties are) and doesn't include a kick into touch; just a tap-and-go. League penalties change the outcomes of too many matches.
2. Try adjudication. When the union ref is in doubt he just asks "Try or no try?" He doesn't have to give an opinion at that stage - only if the video ref doesn't have a definitive answer. If a league ref calls for the video it's obvious he is in doubt, so why does he have to make an initial decision?
3. Knock ons. I get frustrated in every RL game whenever a player drops the ball it is invariable called a knock on, when many are knock backs and play on. Union refs are more 'forgiving'.
4. Scrums. Leagues' are a disgrace. Rugby's are a technical borefest. However, a sensible mix of the two should be adopted. Imagine, a league hooker who actually does something resembling the name of his position?
5. Line outs. These to me are a great sight and one of the more interesting aspects of union. Why not league? I'd love to see Kapow lifting Penny into the stratasphere to catch a throw from Api!
I was liking your post until I thought about Api doing the lineouts.

About 12-15 years, I was taken to a Wallabies v Springbock test at Homebush. Only went because it was a Gold Membership ticket. Well, when both coaches come out the next day and say it was the worst game they have ever been a part of, it says a lot. The first half had 40 kicks.
I remember that game as I also got tickets through work. Glad I hadn't paid my hard earned on that pile of garbage. Almost fell asleep and haven't been back to a union match since.

When you've got a French referee giving out penalties because "zee number 2 has 'is hair incorrectly brushed"!!..... well, that'll pretty much do me.

I could never understand why they just don't include a bit of league play on the field in union.Im sure they'll be more points scored that's for sure.

I believe there are some aspects of union that league could consider:
1. Short-arm penalties. This is for trivial infringements (as most league penalties are) and doesn't include a kick into touch; just a tap-and-go. League penalties change the outcomes of too many matches.
2. Try adjudication. When the union ref is in doubt he just asks "Try or no try?" He doesn't have to give an opinion at that stage - only if the video ref doesn't have a definitive answer. If a league ref calls for the video it's obvious he is in doubt, so why does he have to make an initial decision?
3. Knock ons. I get frustrated in every RL game whenever a player drops the ball it is invariable called a knock on, when many are knock backs and play on. Union refs are more 'forgiving'.
4. Scrums. Leagues' are a disgrace. Rugby's are a technical borefest. However, a sensible mix of the two should be adopted. Imagine, a league hooker who actually does something resembling the name of his position?
5. Line outs. These to me are a great sight and one of the more interesting aspects of union. Why not league? I'd love to see Kapow lifting Penny into the stratasphere to catch a throw from Api!
Yup agree with a lot of your points - the other thing I like about Union (and there's not much tbh) is refs like to play 'advantage' a lot. Great for continuity and makes things more exciting.

I read that the Great Beaver is now playing Union for the Warringah Rats - and killing them. Mind you, it is only 5th grade, but he still looks in great shape for a 43-year-old.

Speaking of cross over. I saw Jared Horsehead Maxwell on the sidelines at an under 6s - 10s rugby gala day on the north shore on Saturday. I was reffing the under 7s, and I was very keen to see if he had his little pony playing against my fella. I was all ready with my line when pinging his boy repeatedly, which was "If you don't remember Manly v Canberra last year, I bloody well do...". But alas, didn't happen.

I did overhear him telling one of the parents in his team that his little guy was allowed to choose any sport he wanted, except rugby league.

Staff online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8