Leichardt gets 50 mill, where is Brookie funding

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though

XV-1

First Grader
I read in the Telegraph this morning that Leichhardt oval is getting 50 million funding to bring it up to 19,000 capacity and of nrl standards.
It has been funded in the budget of the Federal and state governments. All for 4 home matches a year.

Where is Brookvale oval funding where we play 3 times as many home matches.

It is a corrupt joke.

20240520_084815.jpg

I read in the Telegraph this morning that Leichhardt oval is getting 50 million funding to bring it up to 19,000 capacity and of nrl standards.
It has been funded in the budget of the Federal and state governments. All for 4 home matches a year.

It is a corrupt joke.

View attachment 27069
This is absolute B......t

Terry Zarsoff

First Grader

It is a corrupt joke.

View attachment 27069
Perhaps you should have read this, before bursting into print:

Funnily enough, not every suburban ground can receive an upgrade at the same time as every other ground.* Brookvale did quite well out of this $33m investment, just a few years ago:

IMG_8503.jpeg

*Especially during times of fiscal restraint.

Terry Zarsoff

First Grader
I believe Leichardt is being set up as a hub for female sport and lower leagues etc.

But dont quote me on that
Exactly.

It’s not just about the Tigers. Outside the big stadiums to the east of the CBD, there is a shortage of appropriately sized venues, with decent facilities and catering to the rectangular codes in the Inner West - until you hit Homebush.

Last edited:

Terry Zarsoff

First Grader
Lets not forget Wests have already received $65 million from NSW government for a centre of excellence at Concord. How many locations do they want.
That was a frightful waste. Presumably a pork-barrelling measure, rather than common sense on the part of the previous state govt.

All up that was a $70m+ project. Imagine what the could have done with that at Campbelltown, with some spare change for Leichhardt?*

*See paragraph 1. Leichhardt lies within a Greens-held seat.

Chunkytuna

Reserve Grader
Tipping Member

Funnily enough, not every suburban ground can receive an upgrade at the same time as every other ground.* Brookvale did quite well out of this $33m investment, just a few years ago:

View attachment 27070

I think it's safe to say Brooky is still one of the lower (bottom 2 or 3) standard grounds in the NRL despite the Bob Fulton Stand - which is great. The rest of the facilities are pretty woeful.

Whether or not Albo actually stays true to his word is a whole other matter. Based on previous promises of money from other pollies, you'd have to think it's a long shot.

Terry Zarsoff

First Grader
I think it's safe to say Brooky is still one of the lower (bottom 2 or 3) standard grounds in the NRL despite the Bob Fulton Stand - which is great. The rest of the facilities are pretty woeful.

Whether or not Albo actually stays true to his word is a whole other matter. Based on previous promises of money from other pollies, you'd have to think it's a long shot.
A recent survey in the SMH now places it in the upper echelon of the suburban grounds. I cannot recall if that was based on fan feedback, or the views of the journalist/s.

If history is any guide, the redevelopment of Brookvale will be a stop-start affair, much as it has been since 1970.

As for Leichhardt and if it’s for real - it could be a quid pro quo measure - to gain the NRL’s backing for the federal government’s preference for a PNG-based team.

Chunkytuna

Reserve Grader
Tipping Member
A recent survey in the SMH now places it in the upper echelon of the suburban grounds. I cannot recall if that was based on fan feedback, or the views of the journalist/s.

If history is any guide, the redevelopment of Brookvale will be a stop-start affair, much as it has been since 1970.

As for Leichhardt and if it’s for real - it could be a quid pro quo measure - to gain the NRL’s backing for the federal government’s preference for a PNG-based team.
Interesting. Have you got a link to that? Would be curious to see what criteria that was based on.

Terry Zarsoff

First Grader
Interesting. Have you got a link to that? Would be curious to see what criteria that was based on.
Here you go. Only Penrith places higher out of the ‘traditional’ suburban grounds.

A 2019 survey placed Brookvale Oval last:

Last edited:

It is a corrup

It is a corrupt joke.

View attachment 27069
It's shameful, and pork barrelling at its worst. On 9 news last night, the reporter quoted that Albanese wants the Leichhardt Oval upgrade to happen, which shows its personal interest and not a sensible decision in the least. Leichhardt oval is not even a part-time ground, but does happen to sit in a politically left area, which is moving more left to the greens. Labor is seeking to hold, improve, and solidify their position, this is purely political. In contrast, we have and had conservative representation for near enough the electorates entire history. Sadly, they took us for granted, and with Teal independents who hate us now in place federally, particularly Stegall, we will not get a fair outcome. We are a fulltime ground servicing a fulltime professional team. Albanese is politically driven, gains nothing from us electorally, and is working with state leader Minns to keep the inner west Labor and not green. Disgraceful.

Last edited:

View attachment 27070

Brookvale is a full-time facility for a professional organisation. Leichhardt is not even a part-time facility. Apple's and Pears.

eagleron

Bencher

View attachment 27070

Of course you're right Terry, I completely forgot about that

XV-1

First Grader

View attachment 27070

Excuse me!! All I did was quote what is in the Telegraph today.

Perhaps u should have posted an actual story rather than something dated yesterday and behind a pay wall that cannot be read by most people.

lsz

First Grader
Staff member
Well done to Richardson and how he has played this (threatening to move the team etc). Shows what happens when you go for a seasoned skilled executive

Terry Zarsoff

First Grader
Excuse me!! All I did was quote what is in the Telegraph today.

Perhaps u should have posted an actual story rather than something dated yesterday and behind a pay wall that cannot be read by most people.

Is this better? Look, just for you:

Tigers refuse to commit to Leichhardt Oval despite government pledge​

Michael Chammas

By Michael Chammas

May 19, 2024 — 7.45pm

The Wests Tigers have refused to commit their future to Leichhardt Oval despite reports of a $50 million government pledge to redevelop the iconic suburban ground.

The club will hold a board meeting on Monday to discuss its future stadium strategy and is not in a position to commit to playing any games at Leichhardt.

Chief Executive Shane Richardson said he had only been made aware of a $20 million pledge from the federal government after Prime Minister Anthony Albanese contacted him last week.

“We have received no official notification of guaranteed funds for Leichhardt Oval,” Richardson told the Herald. “Last Thursday night I had a phone call with Anthony Albanese, who promised $20 million towards Leichhardt Oval and [asked] me to keep it to myself, which I have.

However since then, I have not heard from the NRL, any other body, including the Inner West Council, about any moneys. It’s interesting that The Daily Telegraph release it before we’re told.”

Sources with knowledge of the situation, talking under the condition of anonymity, told the Herald that the current investment pledge sits at $40 million, with Inner West Council and the NSW state government indicating they would each invest $10 million on top of the $20 million from federal government.
Not convinced: Shane Richardson

Not convinced: Shane RichardsonCREDIT: OSCAR COLMAN

The NRL requested $30 million from the federal government, but Albanese is only willing to spend $20 million and wants the state government to match that investment. The funding was hidden in last week’s budget.

“If this funding is available it will be taken into consideration with our stadium plan, which we are meeting tomorrow morning in Brisbane to discuss at our regular board meeting,” Richardson said.

“I can assure you, the first people who will know about our stadium decision will be our members, and until then we will make no further comment regarding the stadium.”

The Tigers intend to announce their stadium policy for the next three years in mid-June, with the club unlikely to commit to playing games at Leichhardt Oval before being provided with a breakdown of where the funds will be used and how it will benefit the game day experience.

“If I had a dollar for every time someone said we were getting funding for Leichhardt Oval we would have saved the ground before now,” Inner West Council mayor Darcy Byrne said. “We will keep fighting hard until we secure state and federal funding to save the eighth wonder of the world.”

The Tigers want a new grandstand at the northern end of the ground with sufficient corporate facilities, four dressing rooms to accommodate NRL and NRLW teams and a significant improvement to amenities and hospitality as part of a push to increase capacity to 19,000.

The Tigers are giving strong consideration to taking the majority of their games to CommBank Stadium in Parramatta from next season.

Last edited:

Terry Zarsoff

First Grader
It's shameful, and pork barrelling at its worst. On 9 news last night, the reporter quoted that Albanese wants the Leichhardt Oval upgrade to happen, which shows its personal interest and not a sensible decision in the least. Leichhardt oval is not even a part-time ground, but does happen to sit in a politically left area, which is moving more left to the greens. Labor is seeking to hold, improve, and solidify their position, this is purely political. In contrast, we have and had conservative representation for near enough the electorates entire history. Sadly, they took us for granted, and with Teal independents who hate us now in place federally, particularly Stegall, we will not get a fair outcome. We are a fulltime ground servicing a fulltime professional team. Albanese is politically driven, gains nothing from us electorally, and is working with state leader Minns to keep the inner west Labor and not green. Disgraceful.
Zali Steggall was one of the Eagles’ Angels, the NRL’s first organised women’s’ RL supporters group, disbanded in 2015 after they collectively looked sideways at Peter Peters, upsetting the poor man.

Perhaps you’re conflating her disagreement with the stance taken by the Pride jersey boycotters, into some sort of dislike of the team she grew up supporting?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
11 8 3 75 20
12 9 3 70 20
12 8 4 100 18
12 7 5 64 16
12 7 5 57 16
12 7 5 -37 16
12 6 5 36 15
12 7 5 135 14