Looking for laptop

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

DVS Matt

Bencher
Hey Guys,

Probably should of did this when the forum was still busy. But anyway, i'm looking to pick up a second hand laptop if anyone has one that they want to get rid of.

I'm not looking for anything too special, but i need:

30 gig hard drive
min 512 ram
Internal CD/DVD
WiFi

Or if you know a good place to pick up cheapies that would also work.

Thanks in advance.

You should be able to pick up a new one for less than $1000 that will do all of that, but also let me know your budget and I will do some snooping

Didn't really want to spend much over $500 for something simple and second hand. Saw a few Dell's that meet these requirements for under that. Just thought i'd throw it out here though

yeah, if I were you and I was going to spend $500 I would look for a brand new laptop as they are out there with those requirements for that price

big w, aldi, kmart, harvey norman

ebay

Matabele link said:
Get a MacBook, not junk.

I laugh at this "Mac is better", Mac never crashes BS.

Trust me, it crashes, a lot and when it does it is not a good thing.

Next time you are in Sydney, go spend 1 hour in the Apple Store on George Street, go to the 3rd level I think it is and watch the "Genius Bar" then tell me how perfect Mac is.

I was there to swap over my iPhone and you should have seen it, I waited for an hour with an appointment, and there was a queue of about 5 others behind me, plus more asking, with the only open appointment at 7PM. There are approx 15 - 20 genius' working at any 1 stage.

Trust me, they have major major problems, they just market around them well, but scratch the surface!

What you like about the mac, is just the operating system and not the hardware itself.

You can get an exact and more stable replica of Mac completely for free straight from the web and works exactly the same barring some apps, however all apps have a clone in Linux and 99% of Linux apps are free.

All said and done buy a cheap laptop and install a linux distro such as Ubuntu, Kubuntu ir DreamLinux then tell me which is the better option.

Mac is a typical Gen X product! All hype and marketed perfectly to Gen X.......sad isn't it!

I agree Linux is good but the reality is it is seen as a renegade and if you want to get around in the world where both MS and Mac are starting to lock out Linux applications, it's a hassle.

So therefore if it's a choice between Mac and MS I'll take Mac now.

There's no doubt they botched the iPhone launch - particularly doing it as the launch of the new me.com.  They bit off more than they could chew.

But you were still drooling for your iPhone within days of its release.  At least I have the patience to wait for the prices to come down after all the Gen Y's have made their early hype-driven rush.  ;)

Matabele link said:
I agree Linux is good but the reality is it is seen as a renegade and if you want to get around in the world where both MS and Mac are starting to lock out Linux applications, it's a hassle.

So therefore if it's a choice between Mac and MS I'll take Mac now.

There's no doubt they botched the iPhone launch - particularly doing it as the launch of the new me.com.  They bit off more than they could chew.

But you were still drooling for your iPhone within days of its release.  At least I have the patience to wait for the prices to come down after all the Gen Y's have made their early hype-driven rush.  ;)

No doubt the iPhone is a schmick device any way you look at it.

But when it comes to the MacBook vs PC it is just a wank fest of Gen X marketing, something from the old Pepsi Max Generation Next advertising.

There are still plenty of companies selling computers with linux as the base OS.

Not to mention you would be laughed at if you wanted to use the Mac for any serious work in an Enterprise or server environment.
So small is it on the radar of 90% of software vendors, that it rarely features on supported platform lists. It is the last platform we test if in fact we even bother and provide heavy restrictions on client machines using it with our enterprise software.

Why, if it is so perfect as you have been lead to believe by marketing?
Because it is not perfect, it fails to follow basic standards, both with HTML and more. It's market share is minimal and as of the past 2 OS X releases it has simply failed to hit the mark, even Steve jobs openly admits, that they have gone for features over stability.

All the marketing that is thrown at you is 100% bull****, whilst the ads on the surface of Mac V PC look damning, the reality is that they are talking about two computers set up with different settings, you can set up a PC to give all those warning or you can turn it off.

The next spin doctoring is that the Mac just works....sure it does, so does a PC, they both crash and die, and Mac crashes or SadMac are far more condemning than a PC crash.

Now, I am not an advocate of any major Vendor, I don't particular love Windows, Linux or Mac, but I what I need to get the job done, mostly that involves web technology, because despite what anyone says there are only 3 main uses that 99% of the population use a computer for

- The internet, browsing, creating etc
- Word Processing and Spreadsheet and other office tools
- Gaming

A comparison chart would immediately mean that a Mac can only meet 2 of the 3 criteria and to meet one of them it uses Microsoft Technology and a substandard browser!

Linux never has and never will be viewed as a renegade. In fact distributions such as Red Hat Linux (Fedora) are in fact one of the worlds leading server Operating systems running a close second to Solaris.

The other thing that amuses me about your above post is that Mac is based on the exact same foundation as you guess it....Linux. They are both Unix based operating systems built around Kernels that at one stage were easily obtainable.

I am sorry, but your view that it is pretty and white and does things better shows one thing and one thing only, you have well and truly fallen for the marketing ploy of a company I will admit, that has some of the best marketing going.

You were dudded, for the couple of thousand you paid on your machine I could set up an identical system with free clone software that operates in a far better manner, for around $500.

One final question, do you still believe that Mac is somehow magically unaffected by viruses?

...waits for narc to come and put his 2 cents in.....Linux guru who still wants a mac

Yuk... frigging Macs. I've been trying to do some iPhone development on one for a while now and it's just awful.

Don't get me wrong... when OS X came it I was drooling for it... thank god I never had enough motivation to get one! I'll happily stick to my 'renegade' OS :)

Having said that... the iPhone itself was pretty underwhelming for me, too. I'd take my HTC Touch any day of the week, and as soon as I can get my hands on a new Android-based phone I probably will.

If all you wanna do is surf, email and write a doc or two... Linux is your man. If, on the other hand, you wanna run firewalls and anti-virus all day, by all means grab a Windows PC.

Narcissus link said:
Yuk... frigging Macs. I've been trying to do some iPhone development on one for a while now and it's just awful.

Don't get me wrong... when OS X came it I was drooling for it... thank god I never had enough motivation to get one! I'll happily stick to my 'renegade' OS :)

Having said that... the iPhone itself was pretty underwhelming for me, too. I'd take my HTC Touch any day of the week, and as soon as I can get my hands on a new Android-based phone I probably will.

If all you wanna do is surf, email and write a doc or two... Linux is your man. If, on the other hand, you wanna run firewalls and anti-virus all day, by all means grab a Windows PC.

Agreed on the iPhone it under delivered, but you also have to remember in Australia we have nothing else on the market that comes close. Once the Android phones come on the market I will be looking to move to one for my next phone, they will offer a lot more. I still love my iPhone but it is nothing more than a fancy looking PDA really.

Windows is the operating system I use for my work computer, I dual boot to linux on my normal computer but havent had time to make some improvements to the WiFi card to make it full time use, Once I sort that out I will be switching to full Linux use, it offers more than Windows and OS X put together, and is far more stable

:)

I have one on my desk at the moment I am fixing for a neighbour I might be able to offer them a few hundred for that :)

The best thing about my Mac is having iWeb.  It's given me what I wanted for years, the ability to quickly (within hours) and easily knock up a presentable website and get it online without paying thousands to Haig for the priviledge.  And to do it without having to wade through manuals and technical jargon to do so.

I'm sure this can be achieved with Linux but I applied the 80/20 rule.

(Dan, our IT administrator is a Linux guru.  You'd get on well with him.  He calls i Tunes iTurd). 

lol iWeb is your reason?

Despite there being literally thousands of Windows and Linux free applications that do precisely the same thing?

You never asked for my help on that. I find that very amusing that that is the mac claim to fame?

I wont deny Mac looks visually very good, but once again, I have my windows environment set up to look somewhat like a mac and Dreamlinux is designed to do all the visual things a mac does. The bonus of Linux is you cna pick any feature you like and addon as much as you like

Matabele link said:
without paying thousands to Haig for the priviledge. 
  and right on cue I get some SPAM.  How ya goin' Haig?  Good to see you still drop in on us every now and again!

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
7 4 3 -8 8
8 4 4 -60 8