Manly crowd v wanderers

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

byso

First Grader
Went to my first wanderers game at sfs on the weekend.

These fans go off. They've picked out the chants from the epl and created something very special.

I think the club or keen supporter group leaders would be well served going to a game and attempt to generate a similar atmosphere.
(Without the flares)

Sydney FC as well. Much more civilised too.

It is just the culture of football that creates that atmosphere. The singing is not really done in any other game. Chanting yes.. singing no. NFL seems to have the record of loudest atmosphere which is interesting.

The sad part of rugby leagues atmosphere.. it is just yelling out crap like 'hes offside' 'put him in a coffin' etc. It doesnt add to the game and most people are silent until something happens. Each game is different.

I don't watch soccer or have any interest in it. However, it is obvious that it has a growing following in this country. The reason, I believe, is that the vast majority of immigrants to Australia know about soccer, and probably follow it, whereas they don;t have a clue about our football codes.
With the standard of soccer in Australia improving it has encouraged people to attend local matches.
That's my theory, for what it's worth.

Atmosphere via ripping off EPL atmosphere is kinda cheap and hollow. Create you're own persona and identity. Sunday arvo at Brookie has that. It's just that the NRL won't recognise that and instead stuffs night games down our throats.

I'm a big football fan i'd watch 3-5 games a week of EPL/La Liga/Bundesliga but it is only this year that i have started watching the A League

The FFA are doing a great job growing the game here, and whilst the standard of the A League is not great it is improving, The fact that Villa is playing here is truly astonishing. Del Peiro was a legend of equal standing but was a bit further on in his twilight years, Villa could still start at second tier European teams.

Anyhow back on point, atmosphere wise, league fans could do better

The best comparison for the NRL might be to the English Super League. Anyone know what it's like to attend an ESL game in the UK and what the atmosphere is like there? Have they got the chanting and tribal atmosphere like the EPL?

The NRL could do much more with pre-game and half time entertainment to improve the spectacle. Things were much better when there was a reserve grade.

Rodo said:
The best comparison for the NRL might be to the English Super League. Anyone know what it's like to attend an ESL game in the UK and what the atmosphere is like there? Have they got the chanting and tribal atmosphere like the EPL?

The NRL could do much more with pre-game and half time entertainment to improve the spectacle. Things were much better when there was a reserve grade.

The NRL would read that and think "so... MORE Beau Ryan..?"

Regardless of what you think of the sport the Wanderers have done a remarkable job in building their support base and membership. When you consider the success the Giants have had within the same community and the dollars the AFL has poured into them. All sporting clubs, let alone NRL teams could do a lot worse then look at what they have done and try to implement a few of their strategies, especially with regards to the community involvement.

I think people concerned have to look at it with an open mind. There supporters love it and the club has to do bugger all to generate interest, it happens naturally.

Soccer is a boring game so of course you need chants and stuff to keep the crowd interested. There are big blocks of time where there is sweet FA happening on the pitch. Sure the atmosphere is great but I prefer on field action/atmosphere to the off field stuff. If you go to an AFL game there is no singing and chanting and it doesn't lose anything in terms of a spectacle. Likewise RL and RU, I'm happy to go to a game and just watch the action.

RL suffers in terms of membership and crowd numbers because it is inextricably tied into the broadcast contract and that is where the focus lays. They want TV audiences not crowds, and realistically RL is a game that transfers very well to TV because the action is ALWAYS centred around the ball which means the coverage can concentrate on a narrow view.

Chip and Chase said:
Soccer is a boring game so of course you need chants and stuff to keep the crowd interested. There are big blocks of time where there is sweet FA happening on the pitch. Sure the atmosphere is great but I prefer on field action/atmosphere to the off field stuff.

I don't want to bite but i will..............Football is NOT a boring game!

Rodo said:
Very much so,it's part of the culture there, even at Warrington with a crowd of around 12,000, the atmosphere was electric with the singing.

KaZa said:
Sydney FC as well. Much more civilised too.

It is just the culture of football that creates that atmosphere. The singing is not really done in any other game. Chanting yes.. singing no. NFL seems to have the record of loudest atmosphere which is interesting.

The sad part of rugby leagues atmosphere.. it is just yelling out crap like 'hes offside' 'put him in a coffin' etc. It doesnt add to the game and most people are silent until something happens. Each game is different.

If you call getting drenched in beer and throwing flares around civilised then ok.

They're nothing to admire.

All the RBB are is a combined Doggies/Parra cheer squad ripping off EPL chants, most of which they took over with them from Sydney FC (and I've only been to a handful of FC games but the RBB sounds awfully familiar).
They're the same arse-lickers that everyone here goes off about not feeling safe around whenever we play the dogs or Parra in their shat-hole areas.
These people are filth and need to be treated as such. Just because they change jersey colours for the summer doesn't mean they aren't the same morons. Just ask the passers by in Parramatta that were glassed and attacked whilst they did their little gay pride march up Church street heading towards the stadium last year.

I wonder what the crowd and atmosphere would be like if there were only two Sydney teams in a national rugby league competition who only played each other three times in a season and the season was moved to Summer so it didn't have to compete with any other football code?

Chip and Chase said:
Kevinward777 said:
Where do you find the excitement in a nil all draw?

By singing a song obviously.

Rubbish argument.
I enjoy soccer but Rugby League is the greatest game of all in my opinion.

You are handing the moral victory to soccer fans with comments like that.
The game of the year in the NRL in 2013 was the 4 - 0 semi against the Roosters. Not much different to 0-0 given how ratty the only actual try was. That was a game worthy of a GF though.

What about Southampton scoring 8 on the weekend? Probably wasn't a better spectacle than the best draw of the round.

Warren-745110.jpg

1. Johnny Warren was right. :p

2. Anyway, the reasons why soccer has taken off is partly due to demographics. People who migrate to Australia are usually of a soccer fan background.

3. People grow up following a certain sport. They don't necessary suddenly become a fan of a new sport unless it's as great as Rugby League. Most people whom has never seen Cricket and migrated to Oz says it sucks and unbearable to watch. You've got to grow up following Cricket to want to like it. Rugby League has one advantage: It's a great gladiator spectator sport. It can draw new Aussies to our game.

4. The current Admin is hurting the game with some of their decisions.
Examples:
* kicking the ball to the ref and get 6 more tackles??
* awarding tries that are blatantly forward in Grand Finals?
* rewarding players that are not loyal to the game with money to come back??
* NOT rewarding players who are loyal to their clubs (having played 10 years) to allow them to stay (Kite, Gifty, etc.) ...and many more.

5. We need songs in the crowd to build atmosphere. Much like Liverpool with their song. If only Manly has a jingle/tune/song that can get the crowd going all throughout the game. It'll make opposition teams hate coming to Brookie even more. ;)

6. ** new point ** There are too many teams in NSW. Expand the game like VFL, not contract and don't bring back the Bears unless if it's in Adelaide!

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4