Manly discard happy at Sharks

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Memories Jamie Lyon breaks contract to go to Manly

Is this insider information Bozo? Or just trying to bolster your pro-ruthless argument by bending history…

Lyon broke his contract to get away from Parramatta. Everyone knows he only joined Manly a couple of years later, after playing in Wee Waa and then two seasons in England.

Who's crying? Did releasing JSL actually make a difference to whether Tapau came? Given the raft of losses, I doubt it.

Manners cost nothing. Would you stand in front of JSL and diss his efforts and rub in his face the arrival of another player, while he's moved on while still having a contract? Somehow, I don't think so.

Like nearly all past players (yes, even the Chocs and Forans), I respect the men who have worn our colours out on the field. They get belted on and off the field just so we can feel good about ourselves for a couple of hours a week, during the season. As well as a solid footballer with moments of class, JSL strikes me as a very good person and dedicated family man. Perhaps not top shelf but definitely better than all that sit in this forum and cast their opinions.

At the very least, I will say 'thank you' for his efforts in the Manly colours, and best wishes moving forward in his career and with his family.
I agree with you there and appreciate all players that have worn the Manly jumper and I say thank you to all of them .
JSL was in the wilderness playing for the Windsor Wolves NSW cup for the Penrith club and our club was the one that gave him an opportunity to play in the NRL.

Is this insider information Bozo? Or just trying to bolster your pro-ruthless argument by bending history…

Lyon broke his contract to get away from Parramatta. Everyone knows he only joined Manly a couple of years later, after playing in Wee Waa and then two seasons in England.
At the end of the day we were THE NRL club that he joined after he BROKE his contract with the eels .
I am not bending history when I state the fact that Our club was and is ruthless and that is why they call us the Silvertails because we are winners and I would not have it any other way
I would rather be a winner and hated than a loser and loved
Go the mighty Sea eagles !!!
668286-2b8019a2-97d3-11e5-ae4a-149ca2fe24e6.jpg

The chapter in our history you refer to with your pic of Dorahy Brown Boyd is the only time I recall feeling a tad embarrassed for our club. They were the 3 best players (but not Wests juniors) from a ‘battling’ club and we signed them all in the same year.

Most relevantly, despite this ruthless policy we never won a comp during those years.

Does that tell you anything?

The chapter in our history you refer to with your pic of Dorahy Brown Boyd is the only time I recall feeling a tad embarrassed for our club. They were the 3 best players (but not Wests juniors) from a ‘battling’ club and we signed them all in the same year.

Most relevantly, despite this ruthless policy we never won a comp during those years.

Does that tell you anything?
It tells me 2 things
1. You haven't got a clue what you are talking about
2. You are simply a pessimistic person
Frist of all we have won a comp every decade since our first in 1972 unlike any other club
Secondly we never won the wooden spoon like the rabbits roosters dragons etc because we always ruthlessly raided clubs and bought the quality players to compete in the finals thus making us the most successful club in the modern era and they don't call us the Silvertails and hate us for no other reason .
Go the mighty Sea eagles Loud and Proud !!!
671173-manly-sea-eagles.jpg

It tells me 2 things
1. You haven't got a clue what you are talking about
2. You are simply a pessimistic person
Frist of all we have won a comp every decade since our first in 1972 unlike any other club
Secondly we never won the wooden spoon like the rabbits roosters dragons etc because we always ruthlessly raided clubs and bought the quality players to compete in the finals thus making us the most successful club in the modern era and they don't call us the Silvertails and hate us for no other reason .
Go the mighty Sea eagles Loud and Proud !!!
View attachment 2732
Jumping to abuse/personal attacks means you believe you're losing the argument. Does it not? The alternative is to attack the argument, not the person.

At best, you're romanticising the 70s Bozo. And there was no salary cap then, so it was a free-for-all, where every team was trying to do what we did.

Our success has been about making astute purchases, many of them discards. And we developed our players and teams. We BUILT a team after the Northern Eagles that won premierships in the last two decades. Raided? Nope. We bought far fewer established stars than most teams. Far from being raiders our stars mostly developed into stars right here at Brookie.

Jumping to abuse means you believe you're losing the argument. Does it not?

At best, you're romanticising the 70s Bozo. And there was no salary cap then, so it was a free-for-all.

Our success has been about making astute purchases, many of them discards. And we developed our players and teams. We BUILT a team after the Northern Eagles that won premierships in the last two decades. Raided? Nope. We bought far fewer established stars than most teams. Far from being raiders our stars mostly developed into stars right here at Brookie.
I am not abusing any one feathered friend I am saying it as it is .

First of all our romance started in our first ever RL season way back in 1947 when we courted and seduced the poor old bears club. The exodus of Norths players included Ray Black, Johnny Bliss, Mackie Campbell, Ern Cannon, John Clough, A.J. Collins, Harry Grew, Jim Hall, Len Johnson, Reo Jones, Gus Kellock, A. Kerle, Keith Kirkwood, Harry Luker, R. Mullens, Kelly McMahon, Basil Seymour, Jim Walsh, Max Whitehead and Gordon Willoughby.
And do you know why the Bear supporters hate us with a passion ?
The Bears lost half of their games in 1947, before spending the next four seasons at the bottom of the ladder.
The romancing didn't end in the 70' because in the 80' we were courting the likes of Boy ,Dorahy, Brown Ribot , from Wests Paul Mcabe, and the great Cliffy from Norths Dave Brown, Cleal, Shubert, Bousted from the Roosters
O'connor the heart of the Dragons backline
In the 90s Toni and Kevin Iro Craig Innes From NZ. Serdaris Carroll and Roberts the heart and soul of Souths Pack and even their star half back Craig Field Gillespie from the Kennel Terry Hill from Wests
During our financial hard times after the Super league war we had no money to continue to add quality players and consequently we struggled and even faced bankruptcy before the great man Delmege and God bless his soul got his cheque book out and started to buy quality players from other clubs to continue to make us the formidable force that we are today .
We have a reputation !!!A reputation of success .
In every poll we are the most hated team
I would rather be a winner and be hated then a loser and be loved .
tumblr_lx2ucpFtKa1qlwe0mo1_1280.jpg

Last edited:

First of all our romance started in our first ever RL season way back in 1947 when we courted and seduced the poor old bears club. The exodus of Norths players included Ray Black, Johnny Bliss, Mackie Campbell, Ern Cannon, John Clough, A.J. Collins, Harry Grew, Jim Hall, Len Johnson, Reo Jones, Gus Kellock, A. Kerle, Keith Kirkwood, Harry Luker, R. Mullens, Kelly McMahon, Basil Seymour, Jim Walsh, Max Whitehead and Gordon Willoughby.
The Bears lost half of their games in 1947, before spending the next four seasons at the bottom of the ladder.
The romancing didn't end in the 70' because in the 80' we were courting the likes of Boy ,Dorahy, Brown Ribot , from Wests Paul Mcabe, and the great Cliffy from Norths Dave Brown, Cleal, Shubert, Bousted from the Roosters
O'connor the heart of the Dragons backline
In the 90s Toni and Kevin Iro Craig Innes From NZ. Serdaris Carroll and Roberts the heart and soul of Souths Pack and even their star half back Craig Field Gillespie from the Kennel Terry Hill from Wests
During our financial hard times after the Super league war we had no money to continue to add quality players and consequently we struggled and even faced bankruptcy before the great man Delmege and God bless his soul got his cheque book out and started to buy quality players from other clubs to continue to make us the formidable force that we are today .
We have a reputation !!!A reputation of success .
In every poll we are the most hated team
I would rather be a winner and be hated then a loser and be loved .
View attachment 2733
You have chosen to label a fellow "feathered friend" clueless and pessimistic simply because he rationally placed a different view to yours, and did it respectfully.

If that is your definition of a feathered friend, I'd prefer you stop calling me a feathered friend thank you.

The main problem with a post like this is that from now on, no-one will trust anything you say ...There was a residential rule in place when Manly came into the comp, and the Norths players were actually Manly juniors!

Check out the official history here, from the club you claim to love.

http://www.seaeagles.com.au/about/history.html

"The Manly Sea Eagles began its maiden premiership season completely bereft of funds. As a new club it had to start from scratch relying on donations and the players which qualified by the residential rule. There was no money to buy any players from the bush, and if there had been money, there would have been no time for any Sydney players to qualify (twelve months residence being required to move clubs). Income had to come from spectators attending Brookvale Oval, which was well away from the Manly township".

The Manly I fell in love with did indeed make astute signings of star players, but I liked Fulton and Eadie who we signed as mere kids, Randall and Martin who came through as juniors, Freddie Jones, Frank Stanton, Bill Hamilton who eventually made Kangaroo after many years with Manly, the list goes on.

Are you sure you aren't getting us mixed up with the Roosters?

• 👍
Reactions: Rex
The main problem with a post like this is that from now on, no-one will trust anything you say ...There was a residential rule in place when Manly came into the comp, and the Norths players were actually Manly juniors!

Check out the official history here, from the club you claim to love.

http://www.seaeagles.com.au/about/history.html

"The Manly Sea Eagles began its maiden premiership season completely bereft of funds. As a new club it had to start from scratch relying on donations and the players which qualified by the residential rule. There was no money to buy any players from the bush, and if there had been money, there would have been no time for any Sydney players to qualify (twelve months residence being required to move clubs). Income had to come from spectators attending Brookvale Oval, which was well away from the Manly township".

The Manly I fell in love with did indeed make astute signings of star players, but I liked Fulton and Eadie who we signed as mere kids, Randall and Martin who came through as juniors, Freddie Jones, Frank Stanton, Bill Hamilton who eventually made Kangaroo after many years with Manly, the list goes on.

Are you sure you aren't getting us mixed up with the Roosters?
If you have read my post properly you would have seen that I did not say the players where not Manly Juniors I stated the fact that the players were raided from North's 1st grade team as we had no side in the comp before 1947. Whether you like it or not we are known as the Silvertails because our success came when the great Arko opened the cheque book and raided clubs of their best players as we didn't have enough local juniors to do the Job .

You have chosen to label a fellow "feathered friend" clueless and pessimistic simply because he rationally placed a different view to yours, and did it respectfully.

If that is your definition of a feathered friend, I'd prefer you stop calling me a feathered friend thank you.
Sorry to offend but its not what you think .
Feathered friend stands for fellow Sea eagle supporter
We all have different views here Rex but what separates us from the rest of the NRL world is that we are all one feathered friends Manly supporters. Its us against the rest .
If you see it other wise don't respond to my posts

Sorry to offend but its not what you think .
Feathered friend stands for fellow Sea eagle supporter
We all have different views here Rex but what separates us from the rest of the NRL world is that we are all one feathered friends Manly supporters. Its us against the rest .
If you see it other wise don't respond to my posts
I'l respond to whatever I choose to respond to.

My point was that you attacked the person, not the argument, and that isn't very feathered friendly.

I'l respond to whatever I choose to respond to.

My point was that you attacked the person, not the argument, and that isn't very feathered friendly.
I am glad that you wish to respond as this is what makes this forum interesting
I did not attack him I responded to his pessimistic post and he also had no idea what he was talking about when he said that our club won nothing in that spending spree era and the fact is our club like no other club has won premierships EVERY decade in the modern era .
Have a nice day Feathered friend :)

I agree with you there and appreciate all players that have worn the Manly jumper and I say thank you to all of them .
JSL was in the wilderness playing for the Windsor Wolves NSW cup for the Penrith club and our club was the one that gave him an opportunity to play in the NRL.
Your point? Is this your weak apology for your thoughtless ranting, complete with a caveat? Again, it lacks class.

How about letting the threads for players gone be reserved for those of us appreciative of their efforts, and you can stick with the Tapau propaganda in his thread, where we can choose to not visit it.

Win-win.

I did not attack him I responded to his pessimistic post and he also had no idea what he was talking about when he said that our club won nothing in that spending spree era and the fact is our club like no other club has won premierships EVERY decade in the modern era .
Which of those three Wests players in the photo you provided as some sort of proof of our 'raids' being successful, actually won a premiership in Manly colours?

That was his point.

Your point? Is this your weak apology for your thoughtless ranting, complete with a caveat? Again, it lacks class.

How about letting the threads for players gone be reserved for those of us appreciative of their efforts, and you can stick with the Tapau propaganda in his thread, where we can choose to not visit it.

Win-win.
I have nothing to apologize . You have your views and I have mine
Have a nice day feathered friend . Go our mighty Sea eagles !!! :)

Which of those three Wests players in the photo you provided as some sort of proof of our 'raids' being successful, actually won a premiership in Manly colours?

That was his point.
If you have read my post properly you would have seen what I wrote and that is all the raids either won us premierships or kept us away from the wooden spoon and consistently competing in the finals and grand finals unlike any other team which made us the most successful club in the modern era .

So exactly how many premierships did Boyd, Dorahy and Brown win at Manly? You still didn't answer the question.

So exactly how many premierships did Boyd, Dorahy and Brown win at Manly? You still didn't answer the question.
If you have read my post properly you would have seen what I wrote and that is all the raids either won us premierships or kept us away from the wooden spoon and consistently competing in the finals and grand finals unlike any other team which made us the most successful club in the modern era .

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2