Manly football department had to change

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I see Penns side. I thought change needed to happen. The senior players were not happy with the coach or management, cherry evans was on the outer with them also and we were 1 and 6 at the btm of the table. We had no marquee signings and none wanted to come to Manly the way things currently were operating. Most of the players felt stale and needed a revamp. That is exactly what has happened and what needed to be done. We look in a much much better state this year than we did the same time last year . Im happy with the decisions that were made. I was getting annoyed and frustrated how we were playing last year and being coached. Looking forward to the new style barret brings, the new player signings, the new strength and conditioning and hopefully renewed excitement from the senior players

We all know what happened, Not signing Gift (as hard as that was for any Manly fan to see) meant a busted player left and took two equally busted players in Watmough and Foz with him. Right decision.

Club withdrawing DCE's offer wrong decision.

Bozo comes in and gets the Management to go after DCE again at inflated figures and having to offer him a lifetime contact just to get the guy to reneg on his Titans deal. Right decision (in the end)

Offering players like Gutho & Ballin new contacts only to move them on by season's end. Stupidly Wrong decision

I respect Penn for the $$ he and his family put into the club because without it there is no Manly but these articles trying to wash away the caked on mud that has stuck to them from all the sagas won't go away that easy and he should really stop trying to play all Manly fans for fools because that's all his articles do.

Every time this guy speaks he loses me more and more.

We all know most of what he said was crap but most of the people who are non Manly fans reading would probably believe it.

He and Kelly were the ones who stuffed DCE up by going back on a million dollar deal & then when DCE didn't like it (who would?) they said look elsewhere...so he did and they withdrew his offer. Of course then they had to go back tail between their legs and get him to backflip due to a much bigger offer. They give themselves a pat on the back for getting him & DCE's name is mud with the public and there goes a lot of endorsements for the guy. Yeh, well handled penn!

I won't even start on poor Tooves...I've never a seen a bigger injury toll and then throw in Foran who clearly didn't want to play so was either out or not putting in and even my favourite Brett looked disinterested in some games. Using the bottom of the barrel players was what he had to do, or are we to be like parra and rort the cap?

But luckily penn values loyalty, He wanted Glenn offered a contract no matter how small. Then we would've had how insulting it was to offer a small amount, you should've not bothered at all. They of course then stab a club great like Matty Ballin in the back after he had just re-signed. Is that loyalty?

And if losing Glenn was so wrong in his eyes, why didn't he get him back from Souths at the end of last year? If he had offered him a good deal, he would've come back. Maybe he thinks he's past it and just wants to blame Tooves for everything.

The idiot doesn't realise how much pressure he has put on poor Trent Barrett. A top Four finish is the minimum people expect & penn has made him our saviour as he'll do a better job than Tooves. A premiership in the next couple of years will be the pass mark for the poor bloke or he's out.

I'd love someone else to get into our club as the penns are just lying p*^cks!

It's one to luv in the blame game.
Next, Tooves to serve.
Gutho and Hiku to act as linesmen. Balin as umpire.
Eagle Eye to adjudicate on out calls.
Zorba to organise the catering. Fans to pay up, and shut up.

I guess your response to this article is dictated by your current pre-disposition so I make no comment on what others views are. My reading of the events as described are like this.
1. The Gift contract debacle was not how they would have handled it and as they didn't control the Board at the time they were sidelined.
2. When they gained control they decided to invest in the Football operations and explicitly told Tooves he had free reign to make changes.
3. The Club's Marquee halves were both unable to see a clear vision & direction for the football departments and expressed that the to the new Management.
4. Changes to the football departent were either not happening or not happening fast enough to keep the club an NRL powerhouse.
5. This precipitated the overhaul and cleanout we have seen over the past 6 months.

Now whether you agree with their approach or not, this is textbook business management when a new owner takes control and if you take the emotion out of it (Difficult to do) then it makes perfectly logical sense.

It's one to luv in the blame game.
Next, Tooves to serve.
Gutho and Hiku to act as linesmen. Balin as umpire.
Eagle Eye to adjudicate on out calls.
Zorba to organise the catering. Fans to pay up, and shut up.

2 problems with this.
1. Tooves is to classy to get involved
2. Zorba organising the catering... Are you mad? All the food will end up at his house, along with the fridge!!!

I guess your response to this article is dictated by your current pre-disposition so I make no comment on what others views are. My reading of the events as described are like this.
1. The Gift contract debacle was not how they would have handled it and as they didn't control the Board at the time they were sidelined.
2. When they gained control they decided to invest in the Football operations and explicitly told Tooves he had free reign to make changes.
3. The Club's Marquee halves were both unable to see a clear vision & direction for the football departments and expressed that the to the new Management.
4. Changes to the football departent were either not happening or not happening fast enough to keep the club an NRL powerhouse.
5. This precipitated the overhaul and cleanout we have seen over the past 6 months.

Now whether you agree with their approach or not, this is textbook business management when a new owner takes control and if you take the emotion out of it (Difficult to do) then it makes perfectly logical sense.

Coming out and blaming the old
Management for any problems is also textbook business management. It doesn't mean it's the right thing to do though.

mike walker touched on it earlier in this thread and he's 100% correct.

If not for the Penn's pulling the offer from DCE prior to Christmas 2014 so they could concentrate on re-signing Foreign, DCE would have been signed, sealed and delivered for less than half of what we eventually got him to backflip for. The worst part was that every man and his dog other than Manly management seemed to know that Foreign wanted out. It didn't matter which club he went to, so long as Arthur was the coach (which makes it obvious why Manly sounded out Arthur about returning). He strung the club along for months, during which time DCE was shopped around to anyone with a cheque book. He was sighted at Cronulla before eventually putting pen to paper with the Gold Coast.

Only after DCE signed with the Tits did Foreign then announce that he was off to join the Dalai at Parra-doesn't-matta with most rumours pointing to him actually having signed with them at least a couple of months earlier. It was only then that the Penn's realised they had phucked up big time and we were going to lose BOTH of our international halves unless something drastic happened. Though rather than admitting fault, like any good club board they just blamed the coach. When the situation started getting desperate closing in on Round 13 last year, that's when Bozo was brought in to try and get DCE back onside.

The Gifty saga? Blame that one on the Quantum faction who were the major stake holders at the time and it was them who didn't want to re-sign Gifty. Tooves as coach wasn't really on either side (Quantum or Penn), he was just doing as he was told with regards to offering Gifty a contract, but unfortunately he is the one that took the fall for it. From the moment the Penn's gained majority control of the club, Tooves was on borrowed time and about the only thing that might have saved his job was winning the 2015 premiership, which didn't happen.

Losing Gifty caused big problems within the club, especially with the players. But lets fact it, as he showed with Souffs last year he was past his best and out injured half the time. It caused us to also lose Watmouth who lost a lot of respect from the fans for the way he left and with the things he said. But like Gifty, ultimately it probably worked out well because he was also past his best and his body is basically falling apart. And as for losing Foreign? Look, TBH I would have loved it had he stayed with Manly, but only if he was committed to playing for the club and not the crap we saw from him in his last 18 months here.

There are two I really feel for in all of this. Tooves for the way he was treated throughout 2015 leading to his sacking. He deserved much better than that. And I also feel for Trent Barrett. The bloke is on a hiding to nothing. He's a rookie coach who has been given a team most are putting up as a definite top 4 chance. If he doesn't get there or go better and win a premiership by at least 2017, he won't be overly popular with the Manly fans and who knows how the Penn's will treat him.

The Penn's may own the majority of this club and realistically we'd be nowhere without their money....but geez they are full of $hit aren't they?

Last edited:

Except for the lies and deceit.

Coming out and blaming the old
Management for any problems is also textbook business management. It doesn't mean it's the right thing to do though.
Just as I said in my first sentence, people judge this according to their current pre-disposition rather than dispassionately assessing the facts. I totally get that and I won't criticise anyone's views.

As much as I still love the Snake and Matai, and I used to really admire Choc and Foz too. But basically a group of grown men chucked a tantrum because their brother and great mate wasn't re-signed on huge coin, because guess what Penn, the club was planning for the future.
Then this group blamed DCE for trying to earn himself a decent contract, and clearly this is all Toovey's fault? A man who gave his heart and body to this club for nearly 30 years.
True Glenn should have been offered a contract but the other players should have honoured theirs and played to the best of their abilities, regardless.
Then Watmough goes to a club who threw one of their legends under the bus - Moi Moi, by not letting him play the last game in a season going nowhere. He wanted and deserved a send-off by the fans and was seriously dirty on the great Dalai for this.
That's loyalty for you Choc.
Penn's stop pulling your own d*cks and get in touch with reality.
Glenn Stewart was a 10 year legend, yes.
Toovey was, is and always will be a lifetime one.
So stop blaming him you bunch of narcissistic f*ckers.

ASX Announcement - Quantum Energy Limited (QTM)
Sale of Manly Sea Eagles NRL Rugby League Club.
23rd October 2014 - John Walstab,

Quantum Energy Limited Quantum Energy Limited (ASX: QTM) has entered into an agreement with Penn Sport Pty Ltd to sell 100% of its shareholding in Manly Warringah Sea Eagles Limited (MWSE) NRL rugby league team.

While its shareholding interest in and association with MWSE delivered marketing and commercial benefits to the Quantum Group, the sale at this time enables Quantum’s MWSE investment and related expenditures to be fully recouped, with the sale proceeds of A$3.9 Mil, expected to be received in December 2014 to be applied to the Quantum group’s continued growth of its renewable energy and medical equipment businesses in Australia and S.E Asia.

It's sad. He still does not see.

The key issue is not what he does, it is how he does it. i.e. The mood, the tone, the affect he creates as the leader. Look at the picture of Toovs and see the mood Penn currently inspires. No-one does that to Arko - for good reason. Because Arko appreciates.

Loyalty is inspired by appreciation, not blame. If he wants loyalty, he needs to stop cultivating blame and to instead cultivate appreciation.

Chez and Foran were so determined to sign with Clubs that had it together on the footy field, that they chose Titans and Parra - WTF is Penn drinking? :confused:
Yep, DCEs come up with the missus this time last year. Nice place to live. Let's see what direction the club's going....
images (4).jpg

One thing in favour of Baz, is that he has always said that he will only focus/comment on the present and future of Manly :thumbsup:

These propaganda pieces serve to further alienate the Fans and would have Chez offside with the Franchise.@:rolleyes:

Update on Brookie would have made more sense 3 weeks out from Season start.:lightbulb:
Wonder what the Reserved Seating Members will be doing on March 4:rolleyes:

• 👍
Reactions: Rex
Update on Brookie would have made more sense 3 weeks out from Season start.:lightbulb:
Wonder what the Reserved Seating Members will be doing on March 4:rolleyes:

Yes, I am one of the Jane Try members and after all the huff and puff from our owner over the offseason, It has gone very quiet...AND they are still advertising sale of matches at Brookie.

One minute they say they WONT pay the money the council are asking and the next minute they ask everyone to get out to our first game at Brookie and buy tickets to other games during the year.

When do they make the announcement for the first game and what the hell are they going to say regarding paying the rent if the council don't back down?

It's going to be interesting the spin the penns come up with next.

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6