Manly has used the least # of players in 2020

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Des will give them a go at 20. That’s his limit. I cannot remember the last player he blooded as a teenager. Hoppa? The dogs were a geriatric borefest at the end. Pay went the youth route without leaders because he was forced to.We have a lot of experienced players to guide youngsters ( unlike Brisbane )so thats no excuse

Early this year we had most players in and Tom was the only one threatening and also stood out in defence so not sure I agree. Our footy was pretty awful even though effort was there.

What I do know is how many teams would tolerate ten tries in total from their first choice three quarters in 15 games regardless of Tom.There are half a dozen individuals players who have scored more.

With Tom out we do not actually run draw and pass backline movements. Not even in the game plan with him out.Its a combination of him being so good he hides vulnerabilities and our backs being so slow and hopeless re kicks without him.

That is a worry no matter how you look at it.Im one of Dessies biggest fans but it’s starting to get very strange out at Narrabeen.

I agree with most of that to a point. Outside of Hopoate, who has been injured most of the year, we don’t really have anyone pushing hard other than Schuster I guess

While we weren’t scorching the field at the start of the year, with the hardest draw in the comp to start, after 6 weeks we were 1 **** call away from leading the comp at that point.

I think there is certainly plenty of room for improvement across many areas, but it’s not quite as dire as some have it. We do have a depth issue which is compounded by 80% of the injuries occurring to the top line players which hurts us the most

Fainu has missed all season = 14 games, Tommy has missed 8 games and Dylan 7 games - Total 29 ??

We knew that we would be without Fainu before a ball was kicked in anger this year - sure it's not ideal but we were at least given the opportunity to do something about during the offseason.

Looks like one of those stats that you just make up

This all has to be taken in the relativity of the Covid-19 which has changed the equilabrium of the Universe including the NRL.

Add to this the uncertainty caused by the Trumpian Butterfly Effect, which changes the spinal tap of the NRL Paradigm, not allowing the optimum use of numbers 9, 7, 6 and 1 collectively, further exacerbated by Fire and Flood occuring during team selection conferences.

In other words, it's all too hard, so just select the team from last week and change it later if you have any bright ideas!

I agree with most of that to a point. Outside of Hopoate, who has been injured most of the year, we don’t really have anyone pushing hard other than Schuster I guess

While we weren’t scorching the field at the start of the year, with the hardest draw in the comp to start, after 6 weeks we were 1 **** call away from leading the comp at that point.

I think there is certainly plenty of room for improvement across many areas, but it’s not quite as dire as some have it. We do have a depth issue which is compounded by 80% of the injuries occurring to the top line players which hurts us the most
This repeated refrain: "Manly has depth issues" is a crock.
We've only used 23 of the 36 players in our roster. How can you tell the remaining 13 are not up to standard if you don't give them their chance on the field?

Des will give them a go at 20. That’s his limit. I cannot remember the last player he blooded as a teenager. Hoppa? The dogs were a geriatric borefest at the end.
Sounds about right, these are some young players he selected to debut during his stint at the Dogs, the last 2 during his final year there:
Dale Finnucane, 20
Josh Jackson, 20
James Gavet, 22
David Klemmer, 19
Lachlan Burr, 20
Moses Mbye, 20
Adam Elliott, 21
Reimis Smith, 18
Brad Abbey, 20
Marcelo Montoya, 20

There has been a lot of coverage of Lawrence this week as he nears his retirement.
He was blooded as a 17 year old and quickly showed he was up to the task.

There has been a lot of coverage of Lawrence this week as he nears his retirement.
He was blooded as a 17 year old and quickly showed he was up to the task.
Good solid player. But for each Lawrence you'll find a couple of Jordan Rankins.

Sounds about right, these are some young players he selected to debut during his stint at the Dogs, the last 2 during his final year there:
Dale Finnucane, 20
Josh Jackson, 20
James Gavet, 22
David Klemmer, 19
Lachlan Burr, 20
Moses Mbye, 20
Adam Elliott, 21
Reimis Smith, 18
Brad Abbey, 20
Marcelo Montoya, 20

And I think they all debuted with big wraps on them but only half of them have gone on to be regular NRL “stars”.

This repeated refrain: "Manly has depth issues" is a crock.
We've only used 23 of the 36 players in our roster. How can you tell the remaining 13 are not up to standard if you don't give them their chance on the field?

It isn’t about them being up to standard or not being up to standard, it is about the drop of standard when the big guns are out, and that’s where our injury troubles have been

At the end of the match against the Warriors, we were missing our first choice fullback, 5/8, left centre, both front rowers, both back rowers and the hooker.

Yeah. I said in another thread it’s not too hard to fix. This side ( caveat being Fainu MUST be in) is only a couple of successful rookie debuts from Shuster and Hoppa and a high class winger away from winning the comp in two years. The lack of pace is the killer and that’s fixed instantly with Hoppa successful on the wing and Dylan to centre. Only little tweaks plus luck with injuries.

It isn’t about them being up to standard or not being up to standard, it is about the drop of standard when the big guns are out, and that’s where our injury troubles have been

At the end of the match against the Warriors, we were missing our first choice fullback, 5/8, left centre, both front rowers, both back rowers and the hooker.
You use the phrase "first Choice", but are they? Who's to know if Schuster, Hoppa Jnr, Sipley, Tenterfield, Harper etc aren't better than the players selected in our starting 13 for the first match of the season, many months ago?
Giving them a chance is the only way we'll find out.
It's not as if we are braining the competition; we've lost six of the last eight matches!

Des gets the most out of people because he shows them loyalty. It has to be a blanket approach, he can't pick and choose, it is more than a team, it's a family. If he stops it he believes he will get less from them. If it is true or not doesn't matter, he believes it and he is the coach.

We haven't had our first choice 9, 6 or 1 for most of the season. Pretty hard to compete with that. Hate me if you guys like but I think we have competed reasonably well in most games. With Cust being the standout, Levi stepping up and yes Elliott doing OK too.

You use the phrase "first Choice", but are they? Who's to know if Schuster, Hoppa Jnr, Sipley, Tenterfield, Harper etc aren't better than the players selected in our starting 13 for the first match of the season, many months ago?
Giving them a chance is the only way we'll find out.
It's not as if we are braining the competition; we've lost six of the last eight matches!

I’d wager that we don’t have a better fullback than Tom, a better hooker than Fainu and a better front rower than AFB that are sitting there just waiting to be unveiled

Players 23 through 30 are either average or inexperienced. No Canterbury Cup has been a killer for us.

I’d wager that we don’t have a better fullback than Tom, a better hooker than Fainu and a better front rower than AFB that are sitting there just waiting to be unveiled
How about:
Parker
Elliot
Tafua
Boyle
Jetski
Duck.....
I'd wager none of them would make any of the teams currently in the top eight.

How about:
Parker
Elliot
Tafua
Boyle
Jetski
Duck.....
I'd wager none of them would make any of the teams currently in the top eight.

Hang on are we changing discussions here now ? We were talking about first choice weren’t we, of that list only Parker and Taufua were first choice, and Taufua was recently dropped

Because we are travelling so well we have only needed to debut one player this season -- the equal lowest of any club. Compare:
Cowboys = 5, Brisbane = 5, Tigers = 5
Souths = 4, Raiders = 4, Sharks = 4,
Knights = 3, Easts = 3, Dogs = 3, Titans = 3, Worriers = 3
Storm = 2, Eels = 2, Panthers = 2
Illawarra = 1
and most of those teams that had a high debut no. arent doing so well, look where storm, eels and panthers are in the comp with low debut no.s

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8
8 4 4 -16 8