Manly in Crisis (a mega thread)

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details

#crisis ??

• Yes

Votes: 111 55.0%
  • No

Votes: 91 45.0%

• Total voters
Peter Fitzsimons in the SMH:

OPINION​

Des Hasler deserved better than poison Penn letter​

Peter FitzSimons

Columnist and author
October 15, 2022 — 5.33am

There are, as the saying goes, pretty much only two types of coaches: those who have been sacked, and those who will be sacked. Des Hasler, of course, moved from the latter to the former category on Thursday. For such a Manly man – two premierships as coach, two as player – it seems such an incongruous and unworthy end.

Does anyone make the case that he can’t coach? If that is the case, how on earth did he coach them to two premierships, and have them in the final four just last year?

Did he handle the rainbow pride jersey saga badly, then? True, Manly did not win a game since that imbroglio, but to my eyes Des Hasler was the only one who stepped forward and owned the whole thing when you couldn’t see anyone else at Manly for dust. Seriously, who else do you remember owning it, as the cameras rolled?

Has he lost the dressing room? Obviously not the ones who count, starting with Daly Cherry-Evans and the Trbojevic brothers – as they have all stood four-square with him and to this point no player at all has put his name to even the mildest critique of Hasler, not even as background that I have seen. As to the Manly fans, In Des They Trust.

Maybe he’s just not Manly enough? Actually, given that he played in and coached the team across an extraordinary 559 matches, you’d have to say there is no-one bar Bobby Fulton who has contributed more to the joint.

So just why was Des destined for the deep six? I can only offer realpolitik. That is, when everything turns to ****e, and something has to give, whatever the rights and wrongs, the whys and wherefores, the last one left standing is always going to be the most powerful person, not the best. And when Manly is owned by an individual, in this case Scott Penn, he is automatically the one who will win in a tussle.
The Manly Seven rainbow jersey fiasco was the beginning of the end for Des Hasler.

The Manly Seven rainbow jersey fiasco was the beginning of the end for Des Hasler.CREDIT:JOHN SHAKESPEARE

I repeat. It is such a pity, for such a good man, with such a record at his at Manly to be shown the door in such an ignominious manner. As to the Manly Seven . . . nice work.

Footnote: assuming Piebald is the new coach, he will have his work cut out for him trying to quell resentment towards the ‘Credulous 7’ from the other players come next year, or whenever his commitments allow him to take up the reins.

I repeat. It is such a pity, for such a good man, with such a record at his at Manly to be shown the door in such an ignominious manner.
Des is a Manly Legend and Good man indeed
but he did not get the good results that were required to extend his contract

Great players and coaches come and go
Our Legendary club marches on and on and on
No one is bigger than our Legendary club
All Glory goes to the Manly Sea eagles
Glory, glory, hallelujah
Glory, glory, hallelujah
Glory, glory, hallelujah
The Sea eagles are marching on !!!
Bring on 2023

See the source image

Weider today.

And good luck Des arguing that we ever would have finished sixth!

We know that was a proviso on his contract extension, however there is no mention of that in the article.

The point being that he is trying to prove he was unaware of the initiative, with the Penn and cohorts trying to argue otherwise.

I agree mate, if I subscribed to that drivel,my missus would cut my balls off haha - what's it actually say?
Sorry,I couldn’t access it either and I was hoping someone on ST’s would be more tech savvy than me and be able to get a transcript of the story.But the bit that I managed to read said Kristy Fulton has been sacked

Kristie Fulton sacked as Manly Sea Eagles bloodshed continues​

The bloodshed at Manly has continued with Kristie Fulton – the daughter of late Immortal Bob – sacked from the club.

Fulton has been a highly influential figure at the Sea Eagles having overseen their elite pathways. But she has become the latest casualty as the club undergoes a massive revamp under new chief executive Tony Mestrov.
It is understood she was blindsided by the move on Friday morning and was asked to leave the club’s Brookvale headquarters immediately. The Daily Telegraph understands a human resources investigation was part of Manly’s decision to cut ties with the pathways co-ordinator.

Her brother Scott is expected to remain as the club’s head of recruitment.

The move against Kristie comes just a week after Des Hasler was formally axed as coach. It is a bombshell decision considering the Fulton family’s lifelong association at the club. The Hasler/Fulton dynamic has been contentious at the Sea Eagles in recent times.

Kristie was first let go by the club back in 2017 by then-chief executive Tim Cleary before being brought back to the Sea Eagles. Cleary lasted less than a year in his role.

The Sea Eagles are also in the process of finalising a two-year contract for rising NRL player Zac Fulton – who is the son of Brett.

Zac Fulton made his debut during the disastrous pride jersey fiasco.

Manly are still trying to finalise Hasler’s official exit from the club. The parties are locked in negotiations regarding a pay out as Hasler eyes seven figures to sign off on his departure. Manly have offered about $500,000 for the final year of his deal.

Once that situation has been worked Manly will formally announce Anthony Seibold as their new coach.

Team P W L PD Pts
8 7 1 109 16
8 7 1 56 16
8 6 2 66 14
8 5 3 51 12
9 5 3 37 11
9 5 4 95 10
9 5 4 42 10
8 4 4 25 10
9 5 4 -14 10
9 4 5 -16 8
9 4 5 -19 8