Manly in Crisis (a mega thread)

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

#crisis ??

• Yes

Votes: 111 55.0%
  • No

Votes: 91 45.0%

• Total voters
No doubt HK you'd be a champion leader on the field, and off. I can tell by your savvy understanding of the working man's sport, the intellectual's grasp of classical politics and the bridled solemn poetry of your prose,
I wish we had someone like Paul Gallen to lead this mob out of the doldrums.
Jake should be captain as he is the type who will charge into battle and demand the rest to follow

If they don't follow him then he will rip them to shreds

We need a captain with passion like Jake has

DCE is a flat track bully and is only ever about himself and only the team when it suits him

I reckon everyone has laso everyone before the dressing room in 2022....
Some claim it's "Rainbow connection"....Tom is out (again)....The Fainu saga....and about 100 more conspiacy theories, well it's none of these things - yet all of these things.
It's a mix of just about every problem you could hope NOT to encounter, all rolled into 1 big Nightmare of a season.But here's my opinion on Des and DCE.

Personally find it hard to to blame Des as with the roster he has had to work with, been a tough gig, though I do find him stubborn with team selections and feel at very least, would be greatly beneficial if he had an assistant with some fresh idea's on the modern game.
Des is a great motivator to get his players to compete hard, but this even loses clout after many losses to slicker, well drilled opposition....to sustain that desire can be tough, so to have an extra footy mind to tweak and address obvious issues both in attack and defence has to be a good thing.

As for DCE, I reckon he is a good footy player who through poor management from Manly back at the Titans backflip time, is well over paid.
He is good when Manly are rolling through the middle and is forced then to play more direct, which has been rare in 2022 as the opposition generally owns the middle 3rd....as when the ruck is losing contacts and are slowed up, he tends to play very lateral and put pressure on his outside men, running players out of room and often leading to crazy desperation passes, or a kick noone knew about and worse still - Errors.
As a leader, when the heat is on, DCE has never had that cool head like a Lockyer or Johns to calm the team down and get into a smooth rhythm, in fact is very irratic and this then translates across the field where the team often seems to fade into a lost herd of sheep.
In saying this he has some great instincts and skills, or wouldn't be a Qld and Australian rep, but in these sides there are leaders (Munster, Cam Smith, Thurston) who more control the game and allow him to play his own footy without having to save the world, which it often looks like at Manly.
Even in Manly GF wins it was more the Stewarts, Ballin, Kite, Lyon type players who led the team and DCE could simply do DCE....but with the 2022 team he does not have this, so will fall back into the confused halfback trying for the magic plays and unfortunately, playing sideways.

From zorba yesterday the clean out is underway . There will be a review of -
Michael Monaghan
Don singe
Chad Randall
John Bonasera
All likely gone he said .
Interestingly we only have one assistant in the box with Des while others have 4 coaches in boxes. There is a football club department cap , however If penn and Des doesn’t boost assistant coaches we won’t improve.

No , it’s not meant that way ( although some will )

But we are at a very difficult time in the clubs history and I’m damned if I think it’s “ just injuries “ or “ pridegate”.

Oh sure , we are decimated currently so I’m sure we can all accept the losses that are flowing BUT it seems to me that no one gives a ****.
It sure looks like no one gives a ****, which is a long way from where this team was before.
My humble opinion is that there is one obvious factor: The team are not a united group of 'brothers'
There def seems to be a disconnect with the Blacktown guys and the rest.

Personally, one of the reasons I follow Manly so passionately is from the time of Snake, Gifty, Killer, Matai, Watmough, Ballin, Kite etc and even Foz, when you could feel their all for one, one for all attitude, which was awe inspiring.
They played for each other. These guys look like that barely even know each other

Suspect Dessie is working on a shoe string budget….or trying to do the work of others so he can be paid bigger $. I suspect a combination of both.
Can’t imagine chad and Mona’s are paid anything like other assistants at other clubs.

Yeah, Nah ... somebody posted a list of football staff a while back and Dessie has a horde of people on the payroll .... thousands of support staff .. a veritable swarm ..

And here lies the rub ... my tin foil hat tells me that when Penn threw Dessie under the bus for his comments at the presser .. I said it was the opening gambit in the removal of Dessie ... then Rainbowgate with Dessie in the Dark ... then left to explain it all ... again thrown to the wolves ...

Penn doesn't like spending money ... it was the reason he fukked around and lost Des in 2011 ... and the same reason I believe he is playing ducks and geeses now ...

More comments on this when it was posted in this thread:

Post 33

Budgewoi eagle methinks.

Just if anyone is interested in the full spectrum of ST highly sought after always well thought out opinions...!

There needs to be a complete overhaul of all grades.
Coaching staff, resources and players.
We keep hearing about all these gun juniors we have in our ranks, but our Jersey Flegg team finished 3rd last, and Blacktown finished distant last. If we promote these juniors up through our ranks, all its doing is setting a culture where mediocrity is acceptable, and we find ourselves in this exact same position in future seasons.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
6 4 2 53 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8