Manly members not renewing - Rabbitohs on the verge of new membership record

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
silvertail said:
Why does the US and UK and many parts of the the world have fans willing to pay a fortune for a chance to watch a live game of their beloved team?

Think Chicago Bulls, NFL college football and soccer throughout the world.

What is the glaring thing we are missing here?

Is it as simple as the luxury of pay TV? Surely other codes worldwide appeal to a lower socioeconomic demographic, yet fill their grounds to to the rafters!

The Bulls, NFL and College Football still have a tv deals with various networks

eagles2win said:
silvertail said:
Why does the US and UK and many parts of the the world have fans willing to pay a fortune for a chance to watch a live game of their beloved team?

Is it as simple as the luxury of pay TV? Surely other codes worldwide appeal to a lower socioeconomic demographic, yet fill their grounds to to the rafters!

The Bulls, NFL and College Football still have a tv deals with various networks

Sydney people are a pack of self indulgent bludgers. Always looking out for number 1. It's the mentality of the place. There's no culture, no sense of community. Just a whole lot of people making every decision based on "what's in it for me?". That's why we have less numbers than the aerial ping pong. That's why local bands get no support. That's why every second person is a "swinging" voter. That's why the place is a slave to the latest fad.
No one has any real beliefs, convictions or a sense of duty. Those that profess to, do so in a regressive manner.
It's a shallow, imaginationless city, basking in it's internationally renownd scenery.

We, as a club, represent an area that typifies the very essence of what is Sydney, as stated above,

I think that's the answer we're looking for.

Successful membership Drive

On top of having rich owners and a board that pulls in the same direction how important is a successful membership drive. Gotta give it to the Bunnies.
Have a look at these numbers and more importantly the $$$$.
Wouldnt that be nice in the Brookvale Account.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/south-sydney-rabbitohs-are-enjoying-a-surge-in-membership-numbers/story-fndujljl-1226586362211

RE: Successful membership Drive

At the end of the day it's down to the people.
I'm a Manly fan and a member. If 20000 people felt like me, we'd have more members than Souffs. That many don't seem to, so we have what we have.

I don't believe you can sell to people. They have to want to buy.
Souffs have this arrogant "pride of the league" bollocks shoved down their throats from the day they're born and they are gullible enough to believe it. Saints are much the same way. Parra are the obvious choice of people who want to follow the crowd, those who can't think. That's why these teams have big memberships.

Boardroom brawls, owners at each others throat, the Brett Stewart prejudgement by the media, the dog and his coaching staff leaving, the latter 2 both after winning a premiership without the chance for fans to celebrate, constant negative press about the club and the state of Brookie.

These examples above, I believe, are the reason membership is down. I feel very disappointed that we couldn't ride the wave of success after those 2 premiership wins which I think could have boosted our membership numbers.

Having said that I renew my FC and MWSE membership every year as I'm a diehard that wants to see my club successful not only on the field but off the field aswell.

Duffster, right again. I blame the neo-conservatives, Reagan, Thatcher and the little Johnny Howard for the swing away from "community" to the "individual". This was a concerted political move to smash any community based opposition (read Unions etc) to their ideological positions. The "what's in it for me" thing was fed here by that idiot treasurer Costello with his middle class handouts. Thus today we have the poverty of joiners. Until the individual sees that their needs are intrinsically linked to the community, then there's no hope.

Maybe should redefine was "member" is. Make it very cheap & easy that would get the number up.

Then after that start bragging about high fast & high the number is & people will want to become members too.

Duff said:
Sydney people are a pack of self indulgent bludgers. Always looking out for number 1. It's the mentality of the place. There's no culture, no sense of community. Just a whole lot of people making every decision based on "what's in it for me?". That's why we have less numbers than the aerial ping pong. That's why local bands get no support. That's why every second person is a "swinging" voter. That's why the place is a slave to the latest fad.
No one has any real beliefs, convictions or a sense of duty. Those that profess to, do so in a regressive manner.
It's a shallow, imaginationless city, basking in it's internationally renownd scenery.

We, as a club, represent an area that typifies the very essence of what is Sydney, as stated above,

I think that's the answer we're looking for.

Stop holding back Duff. Tell us what you really think.

Northern Beaches is Liberal heartland, so not a dominance of swinging voters here. But your point holds. Many of the wealthy vote Lib because of perceived narrow self interest. Many of the poor vote Labor for the same reason.

It's funny how those with the greatest sense of commmunity - the least driven by narrow self-interest - are the happiest. And healthiest. And live the longest. And have the best relationships. Etc.

Maybe everyone needs a dog to look after to get over themselves. And/or a footy club.

Brissie Kid said:
Maybe should redefine was "member" is. Make it very cheap & easy that would get the number up.

Then after that start bragging about high fast & high the number is & people will want to become members too.

Whatever works BK...$$$ are $$$..and we arent generating as much as all the others...and we are successful.

And if you cant sell to people Duff, theere are a lot of people out and about doing the wrong job and wasting their time..

I'd be selling Manly decorated key rings with an individual number for $10 & saying buying one makes you count as a member. Would knock the Rabbitohs member numbers over in a week. All the buzz would be is that Manly has most members. Marketing people.

Brissie Kid said:
I'd be selling Manly decorated key rings with an individual number for $10 & saying buying one makes you count as a member. Would knock the Rabbitohs member numbers over in a week. All the buzz would be is that Manly has most members. Marketing people.

Great idea, however there are minimum criteria in place for what constitutes a Member. A $10 key ring does not make the cut unfortunately!

in the article souffs are claiming over $150 per member average not including gate takings. I highly doubt they have 22,000 paying $150 then for tickets

• 👍
Reactions: Rex
silvertail said:

US - 10 x the population
- 32 NFL teams -major city or state based ( as opposed to 16 teams in 5 major cities - yes, Canberra counts plus satellites - Newcastle, Wollongong, Townsville. So the rest of the teams in a city of 5 million that isn't the easiest to get around. It's quicker to get from the 'gong to Parra than it is Manly to Cronulla most of the time.
UK - ditto but change the numbers

Both - NFL (US ) and soccer are THE major sports in other countries,
we have two majors ( NRL & AFL ) plus soccer and Union in 5 cities.

I could go on..but I reckon that might have something to do with it.

Manly Warringah Sea Eagles Facebook page has 70,000 likes. How is it that we only manage 7,000 members?

It's Manly and its Brookie, join up and keep our team there.

Simple reason why Souths are looking at record membership and Manly's have stalled. Besides the fact that Souths are on the rise after a long period near the bottom of the comp, they also have the advantage of being able to get easily to the majority of their games. Souths are playing all home games within close distance at the Stadium (direct train line and easy driving distance). Add to this that many of their away games against Canterbury, Sydney City, Wests, Parramatta, are generally going to be played there or close by. Manly on the other hand loses several of their home games to places far away and all away games are a significant distance to travel. A Souths fan gets to see about twice as many games as Manly fans, close to home.

Annoys me greatly that the pompous State Government officials go on about stadiums and even considering one now at Penrith, thereby having three major stadiums south of the harbour, yet no consideration for just one stadium north of the harbour. Yeh that's fair isnt it. Who's in who's pocket.

Duff said:
There's no culture, no sense of community. Just a whole lot of people making every decision based on "what's in it for me?". That's why we have less numbers than the aerial ping pong. That's why local bands get no support. That's why every second person is a "swinging" voter. That's why the place is a slave to the latest fad.

pretty spot on, you can also add in the population spread, more people are moving out to the suburbs, the laziness of people, combined with the general expense of regular trips to the 'city' with families etc you start to find people not wanting to make the commute. Melbourne for example is much better planned in the way the city was built, the spread isn't so far and you are never too far from where you want to get to, which is why their stadium policy works well. their stadiums are also top notch and have a great atmosphere. Rugby League tried to grow too fast, 10-15 years ago, these suburban grounds were always pretty packed, i remember as a kid having to get in for the under 21's game if you wanted your favourite seats or youd miss out.

sometimes you have to make people miss out to entice them to make value in these memberships. We as hardcore supporters know what memberships mean to clubs. alot of other people don't have a clue and it's those people who need targeting, they have the attitudes of
"Why fork out for a full ticketed membership when you know you can just rock up on the day, if something comes up, or weather sucks, your sick, you aren't paying for something you cant get to"
empty soulless giant stadiums aren't helping the membership causes at all. People will buy memberships if the grounds are smaller, have an atmosphere, always packed and it isn't so easy to get a ticket.
NRL are doing everything the opposite to that with their 'tv ratings over bums on seats' attitude.

wanderers in the a-league will see a humungous pick up of memberships next season, because it is getting hard to get a ticket for the big games, there's an atmosphere in a full house.. if they moved to ANZ, they lose all that and suddenly tickets are easy to come by.. "so why do i need to be a member if i can just rock up on the day?"

sure they are on a high because it's something new, and the team is winning... but you go to a game, you know there's a fun atmosphere awaiting. get a bit of value for your buck and have a good night.

go to half the NRL games these days and you can hear the guy on the hill... from your seat on the half way line two tiers up..
empty seats on TV are also a really bad look. who's gonna be sitting at home watching a game where there's under 10,000ppl and think "hmm that looks like a fun place to be, lets go watch the footy next week"

NRL need to use some of their $$ windfall to help the clubs step up game day experiences and make them more entertaining & affordable before they start trying to move everyone into oversized concrete jungles... and trying to force a membership culture which offers little value to the casual supporter.

They were talking about memberships on the footy show last night. Erin Molan said she is a member of the Canberra Raiders even though she can get into every game due to her media pass. She said it's all about supporting the club.

Larissa said:
We count pets too!

It's actually more to do with the cost per membership, than who it is being counted.

We need to find old ladies with 1000 cats and get them all signed up.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4