Manly - Storm rematch - in Perth?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Don't complain to the club. Complain to the council and the state and federal members. Tell them the neglect you have overseen happen at Brookvale has caused anticipated clashes like the one against the Storm to Perth and that your so furious about it your going to vote for someone at the next election who will fix up the place so it doesn't have to happen again!

ManlyBacker said:
And BTW WAMF I don't live on the Northern Beaches any longer so my comment you decided to criticise was all about those that do turn up, just not me. If a paying member can't see the big games and it is only about money then just take all the games away so the corporates can slap each other on the back.

Mate I wasn't criticising, just pointing out that we are getting to the stage where the club can't really afford to play the 'blockbusters' at Brookie any more when there are grounds/cities happy to pay triple or quadruple the profit the Sea Eagles would make at a full house on the Nthn Beaches.
In fact it would be close to corporate negligence to dismiss an opportunity this handsome and that is putting aside our present 'not so healthy' financial state.
It's the vs The Storm that is enabling the club to negotiate massively beneficial financial terms. Not vs any one else.

I understand the sentiments of those who believe this game should be played at Brookvale. In a perfect world, absolutely no arguments from me but while ever our home ground remains stuck in the 70's and we fail to receive genuine funding to build a modern stadium, we better get used to more 'blockbuster' games being shifted.

WAMF said:
ManlyBacker said:
And BTW WAMF I don't live on the Northern Beaches any longer so my comment you decided to criticise was all about those that do turn up, just not me. If a paying member can't see the big games and it is only about money then just take all the games away so the corporates can slap each other on the back.

Mate I wasn't criticising, just pointing out that we are getting to the stage where the club can't really afford to play the 'blockbusters' at Brookie any more when there are grounds/cities happy to pay triple or quadruple the profit the Sea Eagles would make at a full house on the Nthn Beaches.
In fact it would be close to corporate negligence to dismiss an opportunity this handsome and that is putting aside our present 'not so healthy' financial state.
It's the vs The Storm that is enabling the club to negotiate massively beneficial financial terms. Not vs any one else.

I understand the sentiments of those who believe this game should be played at Brookvale. In a perfect world, absolutely no arguments from me but while ever our home ground remains stuck in the 70's and we fail to receive genuine funding to build a modern stadium, we better get used to more 'blockbuster' games being shifted.

Wamf can you or someone else answer why it's the storm game that is attracting the massive financial windfall and not a grand final rematch against the warriors??

This is the paradox the current game has become, we were told by the David gallop and everyone in the media that what occurred at brookvale rd 25 brought the image of the game in to disrepute. Yet we want to take the rematch interstate to promote the game. The modern game and nrl stinks.

There any hardly any Storm fans in Melbourne, so why would there be any in Perth? There is a greater chance of fans from Sydney clubs ie. Souths, Tigers now living in Perth, so why this mania that Perth has to watch Melbourne play?

bones said:
I don't have a problem with them taking a game to Perth, but I think it's a poor choice of game. This was the one game that had to be at Brookie.

The storm is the second game that must be played at brookie this year. The first and most important one is against the dogs.

Surely a better game in Perth would be a grand final re-match with the warriors? Probably more kiwis in perth than mexicans anyway

Cambo, I honestly reckon it could be about the schedule dates. The Western Farce play out of NIB stadium, there are also concerts held there fairly regularly + the Bunnies game (can't have 2 NRL games in Perth too close together?). It might be that the weekend we are scheduled to play the Warriors or the Broncos ect that there could well be something else on at the Stadium during those particular weekends?

No doubt the game will be played at 7.30pm local time on the Sat night for a 9.30pm live showing in the East.

The point to be made is that this is by no means definite at the moment from what I believe.

I'll need to find out why the Storm game is the one being discussed (it may as some say be a condition imposed by the WA govt.)

To intimate the club doesn't care about fans is a pretty sweeping statement and, dare I say it, is not true.

I see that as a huge slur on the efforts of the owners, management and back office people who contribute so much in order that we can have a team that is competitive in top flight rugby league.

Ultimately we need cash to continue that and although not ideal if we need to take advantage of a cash windfall then it would be wrong to not at least consider it on the relative merits.

We can discuss this game at length but until we have the facts there is no real foundation in any argument or point of view?

BOZO said:
The Who said:
Vidmar, the argument is not so much as taking two matches from Brookie it is taking the most eagerly anticipated clash in the entire NRL 2012 calendar from its rightful, spiritual home. Every fan wants it played at Brookie.

And think of the jaded journos. Where's the alliteration in The Battle of Perth. Bloodbath in Perth. Biffo at Perth.
I say PFFFt to Perth!
The point is that this game is going to have the same impact where ever its played but it wont have the same financial return

Couldn't disagree more. The tension and atmosphere at a packed Brookie full of knowledgable RL fans keen to see their team dish out another hiding to the Scum as retribution for their part in the now infamous Donnybrookvale, would be light years ahead of the tepid atmosphere dished up by half a dozen diehard Manly fans, a couple of hundred expat Kiwis, some RL refugees and a few thousand curious AFL fans. Ask the Manly players where they would rather play this game and see what response you get.

Stupid decision to take this game away from Brookie IMO. I understand the financial constraints we are under, but where do you draw the line in justification of moving games on the basis of the bottom line. I'm sure we could shop all our home games around to the highest bidder and improve the bottom line even more, why stop at a couple of games a year ??

vidmar said:
The point to be made is that this is by no means definite at the moment from what I believe.

I'll need to find out why the Storm game is the one being discussed (it may as some say be a condition imposed by the WA govt.)

To intimate the club doesn't care about fans is a pretty sweeping statement and, dare I say it, is not true.

I see that as a huge slur on the efforts of the owners, management and back office people who contribute so much in order that we can have a team that is competitive in top flight rugby league.

Ultimately we need cash to continue that and although not ideal if we need to take advantage of a cash windfall then it would be wrong to not at least consider it on the relative merits.

We can discuss this game at length but until we have the facts there is no real foundation in any argument or point of view?
Good post bob.
Your first line is this reason we should be making our thoughts known to the club.

As I have said a few times playing a game in Perth is a great idea and good Dave perry for looking at options like this and the st Helen's trial match. I just think on this idea if possible it needs a tweak.

Ask those turds smith, slater and co where they would perfer to manly brookie or Perth and I bet you they all say Perth. That's concerning because Melbourne are one of the teams in the comp and we need every edge we can against them.

Good points made in that article by bones and spook. I'm sure the club will take our opinions on board and way them up with the financial benefits. Obviously if their talking major cash it's going to be hard for the club not to refuse.

WAMF said:
CLIT COMMANDER said:
The only reason I would ever go to Perth is if Manly was playing footy there.

Thats the only reason I go to Brisbane ;)

Mate do you need a hug? I'll give you one and buy you a beer in Perth, the jewel of the great and sovereign state of Western Australia.

Fellow Sea Eagles supporter Paul Gabriel said it is the latest instance in which the club has neglected its huge local fan base.

^^^
The above line is complete and utter crap. I never said any such thing. All I said was that if it is financially beneficial to the club then I'm all for it. That I would still fly over to watch it. However, after what happened last year between the two clubs this was one game I wish was at Brookie, but at no stage did I criticise the club. The 'journalist' who called me has proven himself to be a typical news Ltd hack.

ok ,like everyone else i hate the idea of this game going to perth , but the simple fact of the matter is if you were a company buying a manly game what game would you want a replay of the grand final or a replay of melb v manly , as much as we all hate the idea this is the way business works they offer big money and tell you what they want we say yes or no, so simple as, the pay back is the money we make as a club to keep the club going or keep struggling along , things keep going as they are and in a season or two we have a big decision to make not taking 2 games away from brookie but playing two games a season there

CLIT COMMANDER said:
Mate do you need a hug? I'll give you one and buy you a beer in Perth, the jewel of the great and sovereign state of Western Australia.

WA is a great country. Just be sure to get a visa before you leave home.

Looking forward to the beer mate......and the hug.

I think any talk of the club not respecting its members is complete and utter crap, they've done plenty for us. Do you know that our average crowds at Brookvale has decreased every year since 2006? Considering our membership must have doubled and also our success since then, this is a very bad stat. If more people attended matches, than the club wouldn't have to consider this sort of thing so seriously.

If the club is going to get 4x the revenue by moving the match to Perth, then it makes good business sense to move it there, it's not like we're making a profit, they'd be fools to pass up the money. Sure, it might annoy a few whingers who can't see past the bigger picture, but the pros outweigh the cons. We still have 10 matches at Brookvale.

Also, I read earlier on in this post that the only sellout matches are vs Melbourne. Well that's complete crap. I remember in 2010 we only got 12 000 to the Melbourne Brookvale match. I remember last year when we got nearly 20 000 vs Souths. I remember in 2004 when we sold out a match vs the Roosters and having to wait nearly 30 minutes to get in!

WAMF said:
CLIT COMMANDER said:

WA is a great country. Just be sure to get a visa before you leave home.

Looking forward to the beer mate......and the hug.

I'll be sure and get my passport sorted and all of my shots up to date.

Manly To Win! said:
Do you know that our average crowds at Brookvale has decreased every year since 2006? Considering our membership must have doubled and also our success since then, this is a very bad stat. If more people attended matches, than the club wouldn't have to consider this sort of thing so seriously.

I don't dispute your 'stat', however, for it to be in context you need to analyse how many Sunday matches we now play, how many crappy Monday night games we get etc.
The lack of Sunday afternoon football - purely because of television - is the major reason crowd numbers fluctuate.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2