Manly - Storm rematch - in Perth?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Doesn't moving the big games send a message to the parties concerned (Council, NSW Govt, etc) that they do need to fix Brookie?

Don't sweat it guys.. after the poor show on the back end of 2011, the storm are officially on the slide and now cannot be considered a marquee game! Eagles winning by 20+ each contest, may as well play in Perth and keep a higher profile contest for Brookie.. a team that'll actually challenge us!

To take the ONLY game that is ever a sellout away from Brookie does not make commercial sense.

So its not a whinge to wonder about the rational of the Storm game being moved.

I recall in 1993 going to watch Manly v Cronulla in the pouring rain and it was a sellout in Perth.

Just a note,the Council get a flat fee for our use of Brookie - so they could not care less if its full or empty.

Be good if the NRL indemnified all the Players against potential Judiciary appearances for this, like they do for SOO and Rep Games. The promotion is sure to be based on the 'Battle of Brookvale' and its hype is based on the aggressive nature of these two opponents. Hard to play tough when every tackle will be under national Media scrutiny.

lsz said:
So lets play in the NSW cup (see how that is working out for Wests) or accept that with an ageing ground there are tough choices to be made

Yep it sucks that that it is the Storm game they are going to move. But if moves like this mean that my 3 year old son will have a team to support when he is older then I am all for it

Come to think of it he would not whinge as much as some of you lot
Hold up lsz we as members and fans have every right to express our concerns in a constructive manner. As happliy manly said it doesn't make sense to take a game that will have a packed house at brookvale away.

I see your point Cambo however the reality is we are a struggling (financially) team who needs to look at alternate revenue streams to survive

A packed house at brookie could be a 100k difference opposed to 4 times the potential, guaranteed (and that is the key here) revenue. There is a reason why we can get a decent $ from this game opposed to a titans / canberra game

I am not happy about it but applaud the club for taking steps to ensure the long term viability of the club

lsz said:
I see your point Cambo however the reality is we are a struggling (financially) team who needs to look at alternate revenue streams to survive

A packed house at brookie could be a 100Hk difference opposed to 4 times the potential, guaranteed (and that is the key here) revenue. There is a reason why we can get a decent $ from this game opposed to a titans / canberra game

I am not happy about it but applaud the club for taking steps to ensure the long term viability of the club
You think there wouldn't be decent coin for a grand final rematch against the warriors.

When u use money as the arguement which it is you wouldnt you look to take a game like the warriors away. We don't normally get the biggest crowd at brookvale for warriors games.

Stand by for the DT to use the story and responses on this thread as another story about the 'club upsetting and failing to listen to the fans' with the obligatory stab at Penns decision to take one of our 'most anticipated rematches' away from Brookie.

If NRL is all about money, as some on here believe, then 15 clubs may as well pack up and leave it to Brisbane, who are the only profitable franchise because they have such an outlandish advantage.

Hamster Huey said:
Stand by for the DT to use the story and responses on this thread as another story about the 'club upsetting and failing to listen to the fans' with the obligatory stab at Penns decision to take one of our 'most anticipated rematches' away from Brookie.

I hope they do! Then the club could use the story and the "huge backlash" against the council and state govt as to why Brookie needs more than cosmetic upgrades.

The same people demanding that this game be played at Brookvale will be the same people that will be crying the loudest when the club doesn't have the funds to keep Foran, DCE & co. Please try and look past your nose.

WAMF said:
The same people demanding that this game be played at Brookvale will be the same people that will be crying the loudest when the club doesn't have the funds to keep Foran, DCE & co. Please try and look past your nose.

Agree with WAMF as much as I would hate the game to be played elsewhere there is a bigger picture that has to be considered and until Brookie is fully refurbed this (games being taken away) is a necessary evil for the club.

We still get 10 home games at the Fortress like we have the last few years.

I am keen to get over to perth for this match if it happens, Great for the NRL, Great for the club.

We still have 10 other games @ brookie, what's the problem?

I bet if it Stormed the night of the Storm game @ brookie half the people whinging wouldn't even show up.

WAMF said:

No, you are wrong. I am 'demanding' (as if anyone takes notice of a fan) that the game be played at Brookvale, but your logic about losing players because of it is flawed.
There is a salary cap. Manly pays players up to that level. It wouldn't matter if the club was Bronco-rich we couldn't (shouldn't in the case of Melbourne) pay any more.
If we lose players it is because other clubs are prepared to dedicate a greater percentage of their cap than Manly is.

As for looking past my nose . . . I think you confuse me with Julia!

There is only 2 "home" games to be played away from Brookie.

If we play at Blue Tongue there are people not happy, if we play at Homebush there are people not happy and when we went to Suncorp last season there were people not happy.

So, regardless it will never win a popularity competition.

I wouldn't miss this one for the world and though a trip to Perth will add to my Eagles budget this season on top of the WCC, NZ and QLD trips it's not ideal in that respect but it will be a new experience and a chance to catch up with the WA contingent of the MWTS.

If there is a good guaranteed financial return for the club then that can only be a positive until we get a decent facility at Brooky.

Vidmar, the argument is not so much as taking two matches from Brookie it is taking the most eagerly anticipated clash in the entire NRL 2012 calendar from its rightful, spiritual home. Every fan wants it played at Brookie.

And think of the jaded journos. Where's the alliteration in The Battle of Perth. Bloodbath in Perth. Biffo at Perth.
I say PFFFt to Perth!

The Who said:
Vidmar, the argument is not so much as taking two matches from Brookie it is taking the most eagerly anticipated clash in the entire NRL 2012 calendar from its rightful, spiritual home. Every fan wants it played at Brookie.

And think of the jaded journos. Where's the alliteration in The Battle of Perth. Bloodbath in Perth. Biffo at Perth.
I say PFFFt to Perth!
The point is that this game is going to have the same impact where ever its played but it wont have the same financial return

I don't have a problem with them taking a game to Perth, but I think it's a poor choice of game. This was the one game that had to be at Brookie.

bones said:
I don't have a problem with them taking a game to Perth, but I think it's a poor choice of game. This was the one game that had to be at Brookie.

I agree bones. I think taking a game to Perth is a great idea for us and a better option than gosford. I just don't agree with the match they want to take.

The Who said:

I say PFFFt to Perth!

That is exactly the point.
If you take away the most anticipated match of the year why bother pretending you give a stuff about members.

And BTW WAMF I don't live on the Northern Beaches any longer so my comment you decided to criticise was all about those that do turn up, just not me. If a paying member can't see the big games and it is only about money then just take all the games away so the corporates can slap each other on the back.

Perth is a great idea - it is just the selection as others have said.

Staff online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8