Pre-Game Manly v Eels [Round 21, 2022]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
GAME ON! Head over to the Game Thread!

V

20 36
4 Pines Park
05 Aug 2022 07:55 PM

Team Lists

The journos sure hammered the players in the media interviews today! Understandable they'd quiz them but they went on and on about the last week and tried every angle possible to get a snippet that could be used as a headline. To their credit, all the players held their nerve.

Foz was particularly targeted but he remained his usual cool, calm and collected self and good on him. He also responded to the questions of any possibility of a backflip on the Titans by saying no chance at all (for what that's worth).
Interestingly, the same players who had to absorb all the pressure of their missing team mates last week, have had to absorb all the pressure of the media this week.

FZNryZnUcAAuJ8d.jpeg

Rumours of division in the playing ranks, lost our last two games, members calling up wanting to cancel their memberships. yet here we are on the verge of our 2nd Brookie sellout of the season.

Corporate tickets sold out, reserved seats all just about gone and now limited tickets left for the GA areas and Fulton Stand.

Brookie will be raucous on Friday night for a must win game against our arch rivals! Lets stop the talk about the sh1te and focus on firing up the boys to re-charge our run to the finals

Bear ... you're dreaming ...

Based upon what evidence Woodsie. I'm hearing nothing that disputes the claims here only dismissal. What issue are you challenging and what basis in fact are you offering for that position. Its one option to just put down a comment. Its quite another to debate the issue.

Last edited:
If you talk big you need to deliver big or face scrutiny.

He is facing due scrutiny. He looks a lazy oaf.

NYEagle

Why bother if you're not getting the opportunity and can make a name for yourself elsewhere. He doesn't have to play for Manly. I dont thing Turbo or Brett Stewart would have appreciated being confined to the wing for several seasons, knowing the talent they had. Players are judged on performance and if a player is playing in a position that doesn't display their skills in a team, dont you think it justified for their future to find a club to utilitise their skills in the right position, thereby enhancing the team and the players potential for rep football and a better pay packet. This isn't a charity issue. Its a business issue. Surely we learned this with Barrett and the potentially good players we lost. I've argued this issue so often before with players like Gutherson, Wright, Hastings etc all now performing well elsewhere. Manly of recent times has often preferred safe mediocrity to unpredictable but potentially outstanding skill at times. Check out where we are on the table

Last edited:
Screen Shot 2022-08-04 at 9.36.19 am.png

Not trying to be provocative about the pride jersey or anything, but just quietly, how good does it look to see all Maroon and White - LOVE IT!! I love that our sponsors have allowed us to use their logos in white versions. Such strong branding!!! Makes our brand look like a really solid outfit. Reminds me of an NFL team - or one of the super strong Premiere league teams. I hope we can keep this arrangement for a few years more - if not forever. It's so much better. Whoever brokered this deal in the marketing dept needs a pat on the back IMO. Looks highly professional.

View attachment 21846
Not trying to be provocative about the pride jersey or anything, but just quietly, how good does it look to see all Maroon and White - LOVE IT!! I love that our sponsors have allowed us to use their logos in white versions. Such strong branding!!! Makes our brand look like a really solid outfit. Reminds me of an NFL team - or one of the super strong Premiere league teams. I hope we can keep this arrangement for a few years more - if not forever. It's so much better. Whoever brokered this deal in the marketing dept needs a pat on the back IMO. Looks highly professional.
Let’s just hope the sponsors hang around after last weeks “debacle”

It's a delicate situation indeed. Fortunately it was not a sponsor's name that caused the boycott. I guess they'll have to clear all perspective sponsors with the playing group now as well.

Based upon what evidence Woodsie. I'm hearing nothing that disputes the claims here only dismissal. What issue are you challenging and what basis in fact are you offering for that position. Its one option to just put down a comment. Its quite another to debate the issue.

Bear ... I love the fact that you are the resident advocate for all the young men that come through the Manly juniors ...

But in 5 years, any set back always appears to be due to the incompetence of the coaching staff ... the fault always on the club ... never the player ...

Bear ... I love the fact that you are the resident advocate for all the young men that come through the Manly juniors ...

But in 5 years, any set back always appears to be due to the incompetence of the coaching staff ... the fault always on the club ... never the player ...

Good, Woodsie. A debate. That's what I seek and often I say things to promote debate.

One of the reasons I posted what I did was that I get quite concerned by derogatory remarks made about players, who are at this level the creme de la creme, the best of the best. They're not all the same and have a tonne of different behavioural characteristics, so comparison is often simplistic. They all have worked damned hard I would suspect to get to where they are. Questioning their commitment or putting them down (and I'm not directing this at you Woodsie) is I think is not appreciating what these gladiators have to to go through. They each want to be the best they can and earn enough in the fifteen years or so they have on the field. If their form is down, its not laziness. No way these guys could be described as lazy. I'm somewhat lazy, but then I'm retired and not putting in hours of work in fitness regimes, press interviews, community visits, almost gladiatorial battles on the field against huge fit opponents out to hurt you, weeks, maybe months in rehab, and then suddenly getting injured again. Laziness? Maybe soul destroying.

But unlike clubs and coaches, these young players are inexperienced. You surely recall when you were 21 what it was like. These guys, despite their talent, are no different. They have the same emotional needs, the same insecurities, the same expectations and perhaps delusions at times. They've had to sacrifice much to reach this point. They are like all famed people under constant scrutiny (thankfully most of us maintained our anonymity). They live to a degree in an artificial world. Emotionally anything that stands in the way of their career, one that has such a short duration,is going to impact on them. They are just as human as we are and many are still kids in certain ways. In that sense the coach and club, that controls their destiny is more responsible for their career. They deserve our respect, not our put downs.

Boyle limped off after last week's game. Schuster, well... (see separate thread).
I read on a site that had the injury list with “ankle,indefinite” for Boyle but as it had BenT in it,I assumed it was just an old posting from previous weeks

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
8 6 2 66 14
7 6 1 54 14
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8
8 4 4 -16 8