Game Day: Manly v Knights [Round01,2018]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though
We have 2 completely untried and untested reserve props on the bench ...... and numbnuts are worried about the 10 mins Brown might play ..... seriously ..

When AFB and Kapow come off, and "Frankie Lane' goes on .... the game will be won or lost right there ...

Baz is gambling this game on 3 players ... Kelepi, Frank and Lane ..... he will be a genius or a goose ..... and it will have had nothing to do with Brown.

I think you will be surprised by Lane this year. I was at the Sharks trial and was super impressed with his charge off the back fence. He looks to be finally using his size to his advantage.

I think you will be surprised by Lane this year. I was at the Sharks trial and was super impressed with his charge off the back fence. He looks to be finally using his size to his advantage.

I hope I am .... from the reports by our "around the grounds" reporters last week he went ok.

As I said a couple of weeks ago, Baz's plan to turn the two 2nd rowers Lane and Frankie into props, is bold, and has enormous upside if successful .... a big, fast and mobile pack .... if they are tough enough and up to the defence .... then happy days.

And some clown thinks Baz has no initative .... this is as significant a plot, a plan, a scheme as I have seen in many years.

Giddy up "Frankie Lane"

My point is Al .... regardless of who the utility is or what his ability is .... why play him at all if he is not needed ... to take Thommo, Siro, Jake, or Api off, just because you have a 2nd string utility on the bench is a nonsense .... he is there to cover contingencies only ...

Different teams different coaches different halves or hookers will have different game plans .... but at Manly where Api, DCE and Croker (I hope) are all 80 min players ... WHY take them off.

There is no rule that you have to use ALL your bench players.

I would suggest that Baz would be ecstatic if he doesn't need to put the utility on at all.
Totally agree with your contention on the utility situation and if A P I can go the full distance but like others , just think that there are better options then Brown for a bench spot at present

Last year I could understand the logic in Brown given he could play in the backrow whereas none of our other 3 props on the bench could and cover hooker well.

This year I can't, we have 3 backrowers on the bench, sure 2 of them are trying to be converted to props but unproven at this stage but all 3 can play that role.

What happened to Perrett. Is Baz just scared after his heat episode? Easily good enough to have a bench spot and form in the trials was solid with long minutes.

NRL News ....

Newcastle Knights attempt to snap a seven-match losing streak against the Manly Sea Eagles when the two sides clash on Friday night in NRL Round 1 action at McDonald Jones Stadium.

After copping the wooden spoon for the last three consecutive seasons, there’s finally a cause for optimism in the Hunter, with the Knights staging a massive recruitment process over the last 12 months as they try and make a push up the table.

It’s going to take time for all these new signings to strike up combinations, and it will be tough for the Knights to challenge for a finals spot, but I think they are certainly capable of putting themselves in a position to fight for a top eight position by season’s end.

Of course the biggest signing of them all is NSW halfback Mitchell Pearce, who left the Roosters on the back of Cooper Cronk arriving in Bondi. Pearce is the playmaker Knights fans have been screaming out for, and if he settles in quickly, the Knights could be in for a great start to the campaign.

No fewer than eight other players will be making their Knights debuts as coach Nathan Brown targets a much-improved season in 2018.

Meanwhile, the Sea Eagles have endured plenty of off-field distractions over the summer, namely the club’s ongoing salary cap investigation and Blake Green’s departure to the Warriors.

I’m of the opinion that Manly over-achieved last season, and I’m a little concerned about their depth in regards to making the top eight for the second straight year.

Lachlan Croker is the man named to step up and partner Daly Cherry-Evans in the halves, while new signing Joel Thompson also starts in the forwards.

Manly have a fantastic record against Newcastle in recent times, but this is a new-look Knights side that is due some success. It promises to be a close game, but home ground advantage could be the difference. I’m backing Newcastle home in a tight one.

Stats

• Manly have won their last seven meetings
  • Five of those wins have come by 16 points or more
  • Newcastle are 9-3 over Manly at McDonald Jones Stadium (NRL era)

NRL News ....

Newcastle Knights attempt to snap a seven-match losing streak against the Manly Sea Eagles when the two sides clash on Friday night in NRL Round 1 action at McDonald Jones Stadium.

After copping the wooden spoon for the last three consecutive seasons, there’s finally a cause for optimism in the Hunter, with the Knights staging a massive recruitment process over the last 12 months as they try and make a push up the table.

It’s going to take time for all these new signings to strike up combinations, and it will be tough for the Knights to challenge for a finals spot, but I think they are certainly capable of putting themselves in a position to fight for a top eight position by season’s end.

Of course the biggest signing of them all is NSW halfback Mitchell Pearce, who left the Roosters on the back of Cooper Cronk arriving in Bondi. Pearce is the playmaker Knights fans have been screaming out for, and if he settles in quickly, the Knights could be in for a great start to the campaign.

No fewer than eight other players will be making their Knights debuts as coach Nathan Brown targets a much-improved season in 2018.

Meanwhile, the Sea Eagles have endured plenty of off-field distractions over the summer, namely the club’s ongoing salary cap investigation and Blake Green’s departure to the Warriors.

I’m of the opinion that Manly over-achieved last season, and I’m a little concerned about their depth in regards to making the top eight for the second straight year.

Lachlan Croker is the man named to step up and partner Daly Cherry-Evans in the halves, while new signing Joel Thompson also starts in the forwards.

Manly have a fantastic record against Newcastle in recent times, but this is a new-look Knights side that is due some success. It promises to be a close game, but home ground advantage could be the difference. I’m backing Newcastle home in a tight one.

Stats

• Manly have won their last seven meetings
  • Five of those wins have come by 16 points or more
  • Newcastle are 9-3 over Manly at McDonald Jones Stadium (NRL era)

I’ve got news for the NRL, I disagree.

Off field challenges , bah ha ha, we’ve won 2 GF’s and played in another 2 whilst we had issues.

And one huge advantage we have is not many changes from last year to this , meanwhile the Knights have an almost complete new side and doesn’t matter how much training you do it doesn’t mean **** on game day!!

We have 2 completely untried and untested reserve props on the bench ...... and numbnuts are worried about the 10 mins Brown might play ..... seriously ..

When AFB and Kapow come off, and "Frankie Lane' goes on .... the game will be won or lost right there ...

Baz is gambling this game on 3 players ... Kelepi, Frank and Lane ..... he will be a genius or a goose ..... and it will have had nothing to do with Brown.
No issues whatsoever with Frank based on last years performance mate, but wholeheartedly agree with the other two. It's actually kind of rough given how strong he was that he's relegated to the bench, but that's depth I guess.

I hope I am .... from the reports by our "around the grounds" reporters last week he went ok.

As I said a couple of weeks ago, Baz's plan to turn the two 2nd rowers Lane and Frankie into props, is bold, and has enormous upside if successful .... a big, fast and mobile pack .... if they are tough enough and up to the defence .... then happy days.

And some clown thinks Baz has no initative .... this is as significant a plot, a plan, a scheme as I have seen in many years.

Giddy up "Frankie Lane"

I reckon Kelepi Tanginoa will play a similar role, as our back 3 are 80 min players.

Totally agree with your contention on the utility situation and if A P I can go the full distance but like others , just think that there are better options then Brown for a bench spot at present

But isn't it better that a player that most don't like or rate gets the job of warming the bench and maybe only playing 10mins each week?
Who do you think are the better options to take that role?

As much as some of the younger ones - Hastings, T Wright, Parker, Fainu etc - would love to be playing first grade, I'm sure they'd rather play 80 mins and really contribute in ressies than maybe play 10mins each week whilst (secretly) hoping that someone gets injured so they can get a decent run.

What a waste of Bench space to have a player sit on their ass for 70 minutes a game .
If you had watched any pre season games you would have noticed that Lane and Kelepi out performed the Perrett and were one of our strongest
performers and their selection is warranted and is not a gamble .
As for the selection of Brown please don't start me lol
I agree with you there about waste of a bench space. You might as well put a hot cheerleader on the bench. The majority of us will be happy and there will be a profound impact felt around the grounds when off the bench.
unnamed.jpg

Don't know why everyone is in a tizz, playing the Knights at the best possibly time, I think we will win and win easily
Although we've won our last five games against them I saw a stat somewhere showing that the knights have never lost a round 1 game at that stadium since 2001 .. I hate those type of stats.

The Knights are debuting a completely new spine 9 through to 1. Also have fresh faces in a number of other positions. Surely they will be having some cohesion issues that wouldn't be ironed out in some opposed training sessions and a couple of trials. We on the other hand have a new 6 and a couple of new forwards, but the rest of the squad has had a season's worth of play together. We should be a lot more confident in our play and each individual more comfortable in their role within the team. The only slight worry I have is with defence on the left edge with a new combination of Croker, Thommo and Kelly. But I'm working on the theory that Thompson's experience and defensive skills will actually improve that side of the park compared to last year - where at times it was a bit brittle. If we complete sets and play smart we should win this.

Me too, if you wanna stay that way I suggest not going back and reading the 90% negative tripe in this thread.

fmd, you'd think that following rugby league, or Manly specifically was a bother and not something fun.

It's almost kick off time!!!!

Go Manly! woot!

I'll take that advice, thanks GE!

I would have thought Lloyd Perrett would be on the bench .... big responsibility for second rower Shaun Lane & other sub prop/second rower Kelepi or Frank?

No issues whatsoever with Frank based on last years performance mate, but wholeheartedly agree with the other two. It's actually kind of rough given how strong he was that he's relegated to the bench, but that's depth I guess.

I think the 3 of them will do well .... but if I had asked anybody to name our best 6 props 2 weeks ago, not one person would have mentioned Lane or Frankie.

Now they are starting game one as our prop rotation .... big call ..... but big dividends if successful.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
10 9 1 124 20
10 8 2 81 18
10 7 3 70 16
10 7 3 69 16
11 7 4 59 14
10 6 4 -10 14
11 6 5 107 12
11 6 5 -9 12
10 5 5 -56 12
11 5 5 30 11