Post-Game Discussion Manly v Penrith [Round 24, 2023]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Game Information

Sea Eagles
Vs
Panthers
12 4 Pines Park
10 Aug 2023 19:50
80:00 minute

Match Stats

I'm still replaying in my head Schuster running in quicksand down the field, getting eaten up by Parker, who was also running in quicksand....and I'm using the term running very loosely here.

All while 3 Penrith players cruised past both of them.

And poor old Ray Ray was building sandcastles back on our 20m line.

Funniest moment of the season, if it didn't show up so many glaring deficiencies.

I'm still replaying in my head Schuster running in quicksand down the field, getting eaten up by Parker, who was also running in quicksand....and I'm using the term running very loosely here.

All while 3 Penrith players cruised past both of them.

And poor old Ray Ray was building sandcastles back on our 20m line.

Funniest moment of the season, if it didn't show up so many glaring deficiencies.
It was hilarious wasn’t it. Just the fact that Schu thought he could kick ahead and Parks win the chase was insane. Was that Robocop call in reference to Parker. Man that’s gold.

We also can't carry a winger who can't run the full length of the field. These guys ARE athletes aren't they?
Full length?, he can even run half the length, he has to stand in front of his centre , Parker all the time as he can't keep up with him, and that's saying something, where was he when Schuster made a break?. FMD

If he was a real Manly man he probably would.

It’s difficult to understand why Scott and Tone Mes signed an uninspiring fellow like Tony Tubby as coach. The unfortunate (Warner Bros. cartoon-like) voice alone would be enough to ‘grind my gears’ if I was a player.

Until you remember that he is probably just happy to get a gig and will not rock Scott’s little vanity project - running a once great rugby league club into the ground. His predecessor, well he would rock the boat incessantly. Scott couldn’t have that.

The smiles last night were probably indicative of his relief that Manly showed up and were not beaten by a cricket score.
Spot on

Full length?, he can even run half the length, he has to stand in front of his centre , Parker all the time as he can't keep up with him, and that's saying something, where was he when Schuster made a break?. FMD
Yup , our squad fitness, shape, size and mobility are shambolic. Honestly, not sure if you've ever seen Belrose Eagles A grade beer league team, but they HONESTLY look fitter, leaner, more aggressive and would beat Manly, and I mean that.

Proud of the effort from the team. Another two players scratched during the game, on top of an already big injury toll.
Effort keeps you in the game but Resilience wins you the game

We have become a team culture that comes up with plenty of effort and excuses for losing But cannot find a away to overcome adversity and win

The toothless tigers managed to beat the panthers which proves every team can be beaten on the day

Each to their own but I will not say how Proud I am for proudly and bravely missing out on the finals once again

Simply because .....
If we lower our legendary clubs great premiership winning Benchmark standards We stand for Nothing great

1691704088081.png

Effort keeps you in the game but Resilience wins you the game

We have become a team culture that comes up with plenty of effort and excuses for losing But cannot find a away to overcome adversity and win

The toothless tigers managed to beat the panthers which proves every team can be beaten on the day

Each to their own but I will not say how Proud I am for proudly and bravely missing out on the finals once again

Simply because .....
If we lower our legendary clubs great premiership winning Benchmark standards We stand for Nothing great

View attachment 24618
It’s been lowered for 9 years now mate and I honestly don’t see things getting better anytime soon…can you honestly see us winning a premiership in the next 5 years?

It was hilarious wasn’t it. Just the fact that Schu thought he could kick ahead and Parks win the chase was insane. Was that Robocop call in reference to Parker. Man that’s gold.
Sure was, big turning point one of many. All he had to do is take the tackle, it wasn't the 5th. A try from this play was definitely on the cards, hope he learns from this, but expect he probably won't.

Everyone ignoring the Panthers were in second gear last night & treated this Manly game as a partial bye ? Also Cleary’s attacking game was more dreadful than usual.
Now onto that clown DCE:

DCE last night:
intercept try, 5th tackle kicking game often too short or straight to Panthers players, bad kick-off straight to Crichton, unnecessary charge down on the 5th from which Penrith scored,
High Kicks for Saab always too short or too long, bad passing attack, many runs for himself when passing was a better option, bad Hospital pass to Huomole causing a knock on.
Never finding a good pass to Koula, Jake ARTHUR came in and immediately threw a better past than DCE did all night…. if this was the Battle of some of the best 2 halves in the NRL, then it was an embarrassment for the game.

Only a couple of Manly players played well, & Schuster should be dropped for Arthur. Shchuster needs to learn accountability
Yawn zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz……the only clown in here is you mate! I laugh at people like you who insult players with name calling yet would be the first to $hit yourself if confronted by any of them!

It’s been lowered for 9 years now mate and I honestly don’t see things getting better anytime soon…can you honestly see us winning a premiership in the next 5 years?
Things will get better in 3 weeks time when our season finishes and we don;t have to watch this crap for a few months

All we needed was some Benny Hill music. But seriously I love Parks but there is a prime example why we he can’t play centre anymore. Either Garrick or Koula scores there.

God I love Silvertails.

Some pre game - we are a joke, we'll lose by 50+, I just pray we can be competitive.

Some of those same posters post game losing by 12 - We are a pathetic joke of a club.

Always good for a chuckle.

As for last night, positives and negatives. Certainly a better performance than expected and I liked Seibolds strategy of shifting early and often. Okay the Garrick kick was pretty comedic but at least they were throwing punches.

Pretty disappointing that it was that act of foolishness, DCE's foolish pass and the Refs stupidity that led to three of their tries.....got to be better.

Talking of stupidity, Josh Schuster.....what do you do with him. All the talent in the world but a lack of work ethic and footy IQ is killing us and him. I wont jump on the hysterical cut him bandwagon, beause he just re-signed and I'm not sure dumping him to reserves helps anyone. That said he is a net negative atm so I'd bring Arthur in at 5/8 and put Schu on the bench in the D Walker role.

Veaga....love his passion and big hits but from day dot I've never seen him as a first grader.

We need some speed on the left.

I imagine Parker will sit next week so Id have Koula on the left. Harper in on the right and maybe give Falualo a run on the left wing.

Burbo.....man, poor id cant get through a game.

Last edited:
Disappointing that Manly could not keep the tempo up in the 2 nd half but still a fairly creditable effort when all things are considered .
Definitely had or were slightly better all round in the i st half and just a bit unlucky that the rub of the green did not go their way , naturally a couple of intemperate plays but hung in there for long intervals for the whole match and would not say that the Panthers were off their game that much
Playing with that degree of unpredictability and variation was making them quite competitive for most of the i st half
All of the side had a decent dig and can not ask more then that , and did keep the Panthers honest for a good part of the match . They were down a couple of key players but much ,much more so Manly . just went away from a fairly sound approach in general and with a bit of luck , could have been in the context even more
Not totally sure but Sutton may not be that sympathetic to the Manly cause if perceptions are anything to go by .
Would not be too critical on the Shu, was he really that slow from that intercept ? seemed to be covering reasonable ground to me , dumb option but just unlucky that he did not have a more speedy support player to nab a try .
Great if they could have shown a bit more to get there and a few more favorable outcomes with their willingness to try things but think that they did quite well overall and considering the stbacks with injuries awkward replacement arrangements and a few more things going their way with the ref calls

God I love Silvertails.

Some pre game - we are a joke, we'll lose by 50+, I just pray we can be competitive.

Some of those same posters post game losing by 12 - We are a pathetic joke of a club.

Indeed, in the last week a bunch of usual suspects have been outraged at Manly's inability to beat the millionaire pre-season faves and now the defending 2 time premiers (and $1.08 favourites to beat us!)
They have a point, yet again Manly has failed to be one of the top teams in the comp. Which, based on our roster, will doubtless have the entire league world stunned and in total disbelief!

God I love Silvertails.

As for last night, positives and negatives. Certainly a better performance than expected and I liked Seibolds strategy of shifting early and often. Okay the Garrick kick was pretty comedic but at least they were throwing punches.

Pretty disappointing that it was that act of foolishness, DCE's foolish pass and the Refs stupidity that led to three of their tries.....got to be better.

Talking of stupidity, Josh Schuster.....what do you do with him. All the talent in the world but a lack of work ethic and footy IQ is killing us and him. I wont jump on the hysterical cut him bandwagon, beause he just re-signed and I'm not sure dumping him to reserves helps anyone. That said he is a net negative atm so I'd bring Arthur in at 5/8 and put Schu on the bench in the D Walker role.

Veaga....love his passion and big hits but from day dot I've never seen him as a first grader.

We need some speed on the right.

I imagine Parker will sit next week so Id have Koula on the left. Harper in on the right and maybe give Falualo a run on the left wing.

Burbo.....man, poor id cant get through a game.
I'm thinking that if not for that ref error before half time that led to 12 all, that insane kick from Garrick would not have happened. There would've been no need to try it at 12-6 so early in the 2nd half. And only having 2 on the bench for pretty much the 2nd half didn't help but I really think that try before half time was a game changer.

I doubt if too many people seriously thought a win was a strongly likely outcome going into that game, and I reckon quite a few of us including me would have taken a fighting 24-12 if someone offered it to us at 5.00 pm last night.

So it wasn't terrible, although I thoroughly agree a loss is seldom actually good. But it was a decent, fighting loss and we tried a few things and at least looked like we belonged on that field. Possibly the style of play we used is a bit of a premonition of next year?

First half, Panthers looked off their game - perhaps partly because of us - and going into the sheds 12-all, that was not bad at all. Second half they steadied their game and we started making a crap-pile of errors and that is really what killed us, even given the ref's efforts. Panthers came back to life and took control of the game. That is where both teams are at now.

They had an intercept try, a mis-refereeing "try" and a try from a poorly-timed kick of ours where we then just didn't cover the return run in defence. So it is not really as though they beat us with superior play, and maybe that is a plus.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
8 6 2 66 14
7 6 1 54 14
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8
8 4 4 -16 8