Pre-Game Manly v Rabbitohs [Round 1, 2024]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
GAME ON! Head over to the Game Thread!

V

36 24
Allegiant Stadium
03 Mar 2024 01:30 PM

Team Lists

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a quick question for those who may know better than I....
This indoor stadium is likely synthetic grass ??
I realise the NFL players have protection everywhere including extra clothing and I thought of what I have not heard mentioned as yet.....what about grass burn - synthetic grass is far worse than genuine grass when sliding and maybe equal in relation to contact to the ground and I realise there's a lid on which stops the synthetic grass heating up which 100% becomes a serious issue.
IF it's Real grass - blow up my post, but if not does anyone have an idea if this is an issue at all.

They swap between natural and synthetic depending on requirements.

Fan Fest in Vegas looks huge

IMG_6520.jpeg

Just a quick question for those who may know better than I....
This indoor stadium is likely synthetic grass ??
I realise the NFL players have protection everywhere including extra clothing and I thought of what I have not heard mentioned as yet.....what about grass burn - synthetic grass is far worse than genuine grass when sliding and maybe equal in relation to contact to the ground and I realise there's a lid on which stops the synthetic grass heating up which 100% becomes a serious issue.
IF it's Real grass - blow up my post, but if not does anyone have an idea if this is an issue at all.
I am pretty sure they have this massive playing area electronic gizmo that can be changed from artificial turf to real turf or even ice

Last edited:
Throw in the elevation in Vegas (it's relatively high), which should mean the ball will travel a bit further than usual, and yes, the 40/20 should be an option. With any luck we've been doing a bunch of kicking practice while we've been there.
The elevation is not a factor. It’s no different to playing a game an hour west of Sydney. It’s less elevation than Bowral, NSW. Not even the equivalent of getting halfway up the mountain to Hazlebrook.

I'm interested in how the field will be marked.....which is a bit lame but I can't get my head around it.

Will there still be "ten metres" markings but they are actually 9.45 metres?

Interestingly enough, a number of the older (mostly now closed forever) English grounds weren't the full length 100m with at least 6m in-goals at either end, field we know today.

Most of the older grounds back in the late 1800s and early 1900s were marked out in yards, not metres (someone in here pointed that out to me years ago. Can't remember who unfortunately). When the 10m markings came into being in (I think) 1993 or 1994, grounds like Knowsley Road, Central Park, Station Road etc etc actually had their 10 metre markings closer to 9 metres because their full length fields were only about 91–92 metres long before they had to add the in-goals.

Our early grounds started out usually as cricket ovals, some with a speedway track around them, so were larger ovals and when it came time to convert ground like Brookvale, Leichhardt etc into rectangle shaped grounds, we'd already gone metric so they were marked out in the larger metres

As a guide ... 1 metre = 1.09 yards so a 100 yard field goal to goal would only be 91.44 metres.

Just a bit of useless trivia :nerd:

And as far as I know ... the grid markings in Vegas will be at 9.45 metre intervals.

Yikes. Surely that isn't what they'll be using

I don't think this will be the layout for the NRL games. I am sure the NRL will have evaluated players' safety before agreeing to using the venue.

Sorry to disappoint ... but its exactly what they'll be using..... (story from the Herald Sun)

$2.9bn Allegiant Stadium’s stunning transformation as ‘NRL taking over the NFL’​

The NRL’s season-opening trip to Vegas is ready to go after the grass was rolled out in Allegiant Stadium.
After months of talk and planning, the stadium that was recently been used for NFL’s Super Bowl has been transformed into the NRL mecca for the season-opening double header.

While the players and fans have invaded Sin City all that was needed was for the $A2.9bn Allegiant Stadium to be turned into a rugby league field.

Although there’s nothing that can be done about the dimensions — Allegiant Stadium is 94.5m long by 63.1m wide, a fair bit smaller than the 100m by 68m standard NRL field — the look is right as the field was rolled out.

Allegiant Stadium uses state of the art technology to allow them to switch between different surfaces, including a tray hosting both grass and articifical turf.

The University of Nevada, Las Vegas use turf with it stored under the stadium usually used by the Las Vegas Raiders in the NFL.

The NRL field has been being watered and given natural sunlight outside the stadium, before being brought into the stadium on Friday (Australian time).

The field is the same that was used for the Super Bowl and has been outside the stadium since the February 12 event, taking an hour to be relocated inside Allegiant Stadium.

“Being able to see the field in such magnificent condition, going into the stadium, it’s pretty historic, pretty special,” NRL chief executive Andrew Abdo said via The Daily Telegraph.

“This has to be one of the best stadiums in the world, certainly one of the newest. They’ve just played the Super Bowl here and we’re about to open the NRL season here. It’s pretty special and a great moment for our sport.

“It was quite a poignant moment seeing the NRL paint being painted over the Super Bowl paint – the NRL taking over the NFL.”

The Vegas trip has already been a success for the NRL with thousands of Aussies and rugby league fans from around the world making the pilgrimage for the historic match.

The NRL has reportedly sold 40,000 tickets for the match already with around 5000 walk ins expected on the day.

Earlier this week, SEN’s Bryan Fletcher said he believed there would be upwards of 60,000 in the 65,000 capacity stadium.

“I was talking to a group, a group of Americans … there’s a rugby union (presence here), they are coming to this game, they were saying, ‘We obviously play rugby union but when we watch the NRL, we’re jealous because we want a game that flows’,” Fletcher said.

“This is coming from an American … they watch all the games.”

But regardless, the NRL is already taking it as a success, having been in the headlines for all the right reasons throughout the off-season with its audacious plan.

Speaking to Fox Sports News, V’landys said it had already done better than he envisioned.

“It’s exceeded my expectations,” V’landys said. “I thought we’d be doing small steps, but it’s more than small steps, it’s big steps.

“To see this many Australians here, it’s unbelievable.

“You always have concerns and always doubt yourself. But coming here tonight has absolutely alleviated any concerns.

“I just think, how big is this going to be in year two, three, four and five.”

V’landys said the move would be worth 10s of millions of dollars but that the advertising and publicity was worth 10s of millions of dollars itself.

Attachments

• Allegiant Stadium 002.jpg
    Allegiant Stadium 002.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 45
Interestingly enough, a number of the older (mostly now closed forever) English grounds weren't the full length 100m with at least 6m in-goals at either end, field we know today.

Most of the older grounds back in the late 1800s and early 1900s were marked out in yards, not metres (someone in here pointed that out to me years ago. Can't remember who unfortunately). When the 10m markings came into being in (I think) 1993 or 1994, grounds like Knowsley Road, Central Park, Station Road etc etc actually had their 10 metre markings closer to 9 metres because their full length fields were only about 91–92 metres long before they had to add the in-goals.

Our early grounds started out usually as cricket ovals, some with a speedway track around them, so were larger ovals and when it came time to convert ground like Brookvale, Leichhardt etc into rectangle shaped grounds, we'd already gone metric so they were marked out in the larger metres

As a guide ... 1 metre = 1.09 yards so a 100 yard field goal to goal would only be 91.44 metres.

Just a bit of useless trivia :nerd:

And as far as I know ... the grid markings in Vegas will be at 9.45 metre intervals.
The 10m marks won't effect the players but it may effect the refs and how they judge the 10m onside rule.

The 10m marks won't effect the players but it may effect the refs and how they judge the 10m onside rule.

I don't think the players will notice it all that much TBH. Besides, they've all been training on the size field they'll be using so there really shouldn't be too many excuses.

The refs though ... we've got Klein on field and Sutton in the bunker. There's 2 reasons to be worried before we start.

Sorry to disappoint ... but its exactly what they'll be using.....
There won't be drop offs on the edges of the field as in the image posted by @Phobia

NFL.jpg

We haven't yet seen the layout for the NRL games. Here is an image of the field for regular NFL games - there is sufficient space along all perimeters. Of course, the positioning of the goal posts will be different for NRL -> shorter field length

Allegiant.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
8 5 2 39 11
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10